PDA

View Full Version : Why is RAM important in getting a good OC? *NOOB ALERT*

zyfo
05-02-2006, 09:19 AM
Hi.

I'm a fairly big noob when it comes to overclocking. I've oc'd before, (a p4 - but only got 400MHz out of it due to absolutely dier cooling)... Anyway, I've learnt the error of my ways, and am considering a new build - hoping to oc an opty 144 to perhaps around 2.6-2.8 ish...

Anyway, to get to the point, I've educated myself on most other aspects of ocing, all but the memory. :) Could someone be kind enough and explain to me why RAM is so important to getting a good OC? Thanks in advance! :D

mnewxcv
05-02-2006, 09:32 AM
heres for amd:

ok, htt is this, ldt multi x bus speed = htt

so lets say ldt multi is 4x, bus speed is 200mhz(stock) = 800mhz htt.

ldt multi ranges from 3x~5x normally.

now, to overclock an amd cpu, the multiplier, unless you have an fx series cpu, the cpu ratio (multiplier of cpu) is locked upwards. so, you have to increase the bus speed from 200 and work your way up. now, when you do this, your ram speed increases with it. say you had ddr400, if it doesnt oc well, you would have to use a memory divider which increases bus speed but allows memory to run slower, such as 2:3 or 5:6 dividers. this is fine for some people, but faster memory helps in performance and calculations.

zyfo
05-02-2006, 09:59 AM
Oh excellent! I understand completely now. Thanks alot.