PDA

View Full Version : Need new PC gaming headphones/mic

LazyBum
04-28-2006, 07:56 PM
I need a new set of headphones with a mic, primarily for WoW and Teamspeak, but possibly a bit of music as well. I was using a Sennheiser PC150 headset, which had good sound, but the cord was pathetically fragile, and the reason I need a new one :( . I don't have a real big budget, $100 would be extreme high end, $50 and under more realistic. I have Klipsch 4.1 for my normal listening, so the headphones won't be my primary/only music source. Will be connecting to a X-Fi Platinum using the front bay device.

Edit: These (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00007E7C8/sr=1-16/qid=1146292258/ref=sr_1_16/103-2260201-3337410?%5Fencoding=UTF8&s=electronics) look pretty decent, I would need to find a mic to attach to them or desk mount though..hmmm

04-29-2006, 09:57 AM
Good choice in brand, bad choice in model. In your pricerange, the best thing you can get for gaming would be the Audio-Technica ATH-A500, which you can get from audiocubes.com. You would then need to get a zalman clip on mic for it for about $6 from xioxide.com.

LazyBum
05-05-2006, 01:38 PM
I have the Audio-Technica ATH-500 on order now, along with the zalman mic :)

My X-Fi platinum got returned to BB because the mic port on the I/O bay was defective, and I decided to hold off on getting another one, I forgot about car insurance due this month :(

I hope to get another X-fi in a few weeks, I a wondering if there will be much difference between connecting my headphones through the front I/O panel of a Platinum model, or saving a lot of money by getting the Xtrememusic and plugging into the headphone port on my Klipsch speakers. I would rather not use the front I/O if I can help it, it looks like crap with my new case, and it's an extra $70 or so I really dont need to spend. Other option is putting a "Y" splitter on the back of the sound card to split between the headphones and speaker, but that just seems like a bad idea.

SO......will there be any noticeable difference between the I/O bay's headphone port and the headphone port on my speakers?

05-05-2006, 04:36 PM
The line out on computer speakers is crap, if you won't be using an external headphone amp, you would get the best quality from the front panel drive bay because it is a headphone out. The back of the sound card would be your next best bet. With an external amp, the back of the sound card would be best followed by the drive bay. The line out on computer speakers is very crappy, you will get a very audible hiss from it and it has a very cheap opamp. I can not stress enough not to use it for any reason. Go for the external dirve bay. You will love the A500s :)

LazyBum
05-05-2006, 09:32 PM
Cool, thanks for the advice. I will have to find some covers or mod a new faceplate for the drive bay I guess. I liked the sound of the front bay in the time I had it, just hated the sight of it. If the mic had worked I would still be using the x-fi. I think I just happened to have a defective one, the jack for the mic input seemed loose and sloppy, it didn't engage firmly like the headphone jack did. In the meantime my audigy2 ZS will work just fine though.

Makubex_GB
05-06-2006, 04:14 AM
The line out on computer speakers is crap, if you won't be using an external headphone amp, you would get the best quality from the front panel drive bay because it is a headphone out. The back of the sound card would be your next best bet. With an external amp, the back of the sound card would be best followed by the drive bay. The line out on computer speakers is very crappy, you will get a very audible hiss from it and it has a very cheap opamp. I can not stress enough not to use it for any reason. Go for the external dirve bay. You will love the A500s :)
Not always true. I compared the output sound quality and loudness of my AT A500 cans when connected to my Logitech Z-680 control pod's headphone jack to when it's connected to the back of my Audigy 2 ZS and I prefer the control pod. As for audio quality and directional sound goes, they performed the same. What I did like better about the control pod was that it amped the cans a bit more. Since these phones (A500) have quite a high impedance the difference in loudness between the control pod and the sound card was quite noticeable, and I get ZERO (0) hiss from my control pod even at the highest volume.

yuckfou
05-08-2006, 04:52 PM
how about HP895.

LazyBum
05-15-2006, 07:40 PM
Well, I got them this weekend. They seem very well made, and are VERY comfortable. I have only heard them through the onboard audio on my Biostar Tforce 6100, and they sound pretty nice. Tomorrow my replacement Opteron shows up, so I can see what they are like through the front I/O on my Xfi :D