PDA

View Full Version : Is this case ok?

[TAG]Imp
04-25-2006, 07:43 PM
I'm trying to compile stuff for my first build, which will be this summer with either AM2/Conroe.... is this case O.K.? I wanted to get a case/PSU combo because i thought the installation might be easier, and it seems a bit cheaper... the PSU got pretty good reviews from people...
http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16811144125

Reinvented
04-25-2006, 07:52 PM
Case looks fine, but probably the supplied PSU is complete and utter junk. I wouldn't doubt if it died or fried your whole system within a month of use.

albumleaf
04-25-2006, 09:28 PM
Why don't you just get the Thermaltake Sviking+cheap Xclio psu? You won't have to upgrade later and you'll have a better case to boot for a couple extra $$

gundamit
04-26-2006, 02:56 AM
Don't pull the trigger on the purchase of the case (or any other components) until all parts are available. Prices tend to drop and you don't want to sitting on parts waiting for other components. The only exception to this rule would be a totally killer deal that is not likley to occur again. The case you linked to does not fit that category. Aesthetics aside there is nothing wrong with the case but there is nothing special either. The power supply has two 12v lines. 16a and 18a but no PCI-E power plugs? Strike one. Better to go with a butt ugly case (with good air flow) and a use the savings to get a monster power supply, than a cheap PSU that leaves you with a weak OC or dead parts.

BTW - Welcome to XS. Rule number one - every good rig starts with a solid power supply. How many devices (drives, video cards, etc) do you plan to run in your rig?

[TAG]Imp
04-26-2006, 06:00 PM
not too many, i'm not goin SLI as i'm REALLY budget, and the Conroe's are supposed to be low on the power draw.... only 1 HD, one combo CD/DVD drive.... there shouldn't be a huge power draw, which was why i was looking at this one...

Drunner611
04-26-2006, 06:19 PM
Your better off deciding on a case not based on its power supply combo, unless its an antec or other respected brand. The last thing you want is your first build to go up in smoke when your power supply shorts out on you.

[TAG]Imp
04-26-2006, 06:27 PM
k, can anyone help me pick out a decent case and a good PSU then? it'd be a great help, because i'm a n00b with PSUs...

impression
04-29-2006, 10:23 AM
I reccomend either OCZ or TAGAN or Enermax power supplies

Make sure they are 24pin ATX2.0 and atleast 600W, then you should have no warries at all :D

DAK1640
04-29-2006, 10:27 AM
impression provided excellent PSU suggestions. I have the OCZ Powerstream with no regrets

Entity_Of_One
04-29-2006, 12:18 PM
I reccomend either OCZ or TAGAN or Enermax power supplies

Make sure they are 24pin ATX2.0 and atleast 600W, then you should have no warries at all :D

Good advice. Just a quick question, whats your opinion on Antec PSU's? I've heard good things, but I noticed you didn't mention them, so I was just wondering.

ferrari_freak
04-29-2006, 12:44 PM
600W is kind of overkill don't you think? No SLI, 1 HDD, 1 Optical and a conroe. I think the 520W OCZ Powerstream I have would do him just fine. I have it and it's awesome. Other good companies would be Antec, Zippy and what Impression mentioned.

Usama aka Ferrari Freak

[TAG]Imp
04-30-2006, 02:21 PM
thx for the help guys... i think my decision will wait until i can actually order everything all at once though.