PDA

View Full Version : two 80w pelts with PC's PSU too much?

starck
02-13-2003, 08:35 AM
Sup guys, Im new here, joined a while and have decided to make my first post, couldnt avoid to be a "question asking post" :p

Just a quick question, is it ok to use 2 80w pelts with my PSU? Besides the 2 pelts, I have 2 hdds, 2 dvdroms, a floppy drive, a few cold cathode lights, LCD screen, 4 120mm fans, 3 80mm fans, Im kinda worried if Im going to fry my PSU? I have a PC power and cooling 510W ATX.

Thanks for yer help!

starck :)

btw i really like this banana, :banana: yay!

KS1
02-13-2003, 01:26 PM
it depends what CPU you use.
Most P4 m/bs draw powe from +12V line. In that case, it might be difficult for a PSU to serve both CPU and Peltiers.
Most AMD m/bs draw power from +5V line which should be OK for you to plug in 2 peltiers.

If you want to know if your PSU is at the limit or not, keep monitoring Volt outputs of each line. If it drops too much, it is not a good sign.

KnightElite
02-13-2003, 01:50 PM
At 12V, each of those 80W TECs will draw approximately 6A. If you're going to have two, that means 12A.
If this (http://www.pcpowerandcooling.com/products/power_supplies/highperformance/turbocools/index_hp-atx-pfc.htm) is the power supply that you have, then you should be fine. Since it can handle 34A on the 12V line, it should handle both TECs and your PC no problem.

Hardass
02-13-2003, 02:12 PM
starck::)

Welcome to Xtreme!:toast:

starck
02-13-2003, 11:47 PM
Very helpful guys, and thnaks Hardass for your warm welcome :)

I'm running an AMD 2700+, but it was heavily overclocked, with one pelt connected everything seems to be alright, but I'm a bit worried if I should connect the 2nd pelt.
And yes Knight, thats the PSU I'm using.
To be safe I think I'll remove all the drives and connect the pelt and see.

Thanks! :toast:

starck :)