PDA

View Full Version : n00b Resistor Question

I)ickie
04-23-2006, 09:48 PM
Hey guys,

Im new to electronics and am trying to do a vdroop mod on my p5p800se. I went to jaycar and bought a resistor which was supposed to be capable of 28kOhm.

My question is this. Set to its max resistance it should appear as -1 on the 20k setting on my multimeter should it not?

At the moment set to its max resistance it is showing 9.8 on the 20k setting.

I would really appreciate some help because there is no way in hell i want to solder the wrong resistor to the board.

Thanks
I)ickie

p.s. if someone could link me to a multimeter article that explains it i would be happy cause i been googling for half an hour and all it tells me is that the max it should display is 20k.

crodan85
04-26-2006, 08:51 AM
Measuring resistance with a DIGITAL multimeter
Set the meter to a resistance range greater than you expect the resistance to be.
Notice that the meter display shows "off the scale" (usually blank except for a 1 on the left). Don't worry, this is not a fault, it is correct - the resistance of air is very high!
Touch the meter probes together and check that the meter reads zero.
If it doesn't read zero, turn the switch to 'Set Zero' if your meter has this and try again.
Put the probes across the component.
Avoid touching more than one contact at a time or your resistance will upset the reading!

Dont know if this helps if it dosent then try another meter if u can