PDA

View Full Version : Anyone try using a 226W Peltier to cool water?

KS1
02-12-2003, 02:07 PM
Just curious to know if it is effective or not.
Attach a peltier to a big alu heatsink (that is used in audio amp) and submerge part of the heatsink into water reservior.
Will it have the same effect as (expensive) water chiller? Perhaps, 0C water?
I will need to have 2 water cooling systems: one to cool CPU and the other to cool a peltier.

KnightElite
02-12-2003, 04:50 PM
No... it will be able to cool the water, but if you're planning on cooling something with that water, something that is generating heat, it won't work. OPP did it, but he used 6 or 7 peltiers in his setup, I think, lol :D.

KS1
02-13-2003, 12:54 AM
I mean I will have 2 separate water cooled systems. One system (with its own pump and reservior) is used to cool a Peltier to generate chilled water. The other system (with its own pump and reservior) is to get chilled water to cool the CPU.

Theoretically it should work. But I am not sure how effective it is.
I saw some water chillers also use a Peltier to cool the water.
The high-end, of course, uses a phase-change system.

]JR[
02-13-2003, 01:17 AM
Actually waterchillers used for lasers and a lot of medical stuff are all tec, although i dont know why. EMI? Explosions? i honestly dont know.

]JR[

Kosmos
02-13-2003, 04:36 AM
i have been thinking of the same thing, it would be nice if it worked but i don't know if it's possible to cool 2 226W pelts without chilled water... I would deffinately try if i had the money though. Next prolem is power supply, there will be alot of amps needed to power 2 large pelts...

If u build a system, please let me know bout the results ;) ^;^

KS1
02-13-2003, 08:16 AM
I might be able to do it because I have 2 Enermax 365AX VE FMA PSUs. Each one could supply enough power to a Peltier.
I am going to make 2 waterblocks to do this.

You could do it if you connect two or more 250W ATX PSUs to get more AMPs at +12V. It's a very cheap solution. Details could be found at overclockers com

Kosmos
02-13-2003, 09:11 AM
It would be so cool if it worked, are u thinking bout cooling radiators or how will u chill the water? my idea was to use a radiator and mount the pelts on it...

KS1
02-13-2003, 09:26 AM
Not at the moment. Just a peltier+big heatsink in a reservior to get low water temp.

I use a small rubbish bin as a reservior.

wymjym
02-13-2003, 04:03 PM
well I have a 71 watt and a 156 watt (that is really close to having one 226watt unit, right) cooling my water.
It has been really painless for months now, see it here (http://westech.home.mindspring.com/chiller/mychiller.htm)

http://westech.home.mindspring.com/chiller/officelo.jpg

wj

Xenogias
02-13-2003, 05:09 PM
Player0 did the same thing you are talking about....only he used over 1000w worth of peltier cooling. His hot water loop was cooled with 4 BIX radiators and like 6 120mm fans. He got a lttle frustrated with the project though. check it out at www.liquidninjas.com in the forums galery, or ask him about it yourself. Hes a member here.

charlie
02-13-2003, 10:07 PM
like this

KS1
02-14-2003, 02:36 AM
wymjym,
I see you use a 50x50mm waterblock as a chiller.
What do you think about submerging part of a coldplate (50x100mm) into a water reservior?

Xenogias,
For details on how to make a 24V PSU from 2 x 12V PSUs, please goto a cooling/psu forum at overclokers com.

Basically, you need to isolate GND of one or more PSUs. Only one PSU with GND contact with a PSU case in a system is allowed.

To make 24V out of 2 ATX PSUs, you need to connect +12V from one PSU to GND of the other PSU. Total Volt out at the yellow line will be +24V.

You must ensure that the +12V amp rating of each PSU is capable of supplying a peltier in question. Each PSU could have different +12V amp rating.

wymjym
02-14-2003, 05:47 AM
Originally posted by KS1
wymjym,
I see you use a 50x50mm waterblock as a chiller.
What do you think about submerging part of a coldplate (50x100mm) into a water reservior?

I figured that the most direct means of cooling the water (and the easiest to implement) was to cool both sides of a water block...ala a 'pelt sandwich'. It does add an extra block to the mix but so far I don't think I could improve on my setup as near ambient was my goal.
wj