PDA

View Full Version : Klipsch vs logitech (2.1 setups)

Jokester_wild
04-21-2006, 12:09 PM
A friend of mine wants to invest in some new computer speakers but only has room for a 2.1 setup, My question is are speakers like the Promedia 2.1 setup better then anything Logitech has to offer ?

trakslacker
04-21-2006, 12:45 PM
I've had experience with both, and here's my take on it:

Klipsch Promedia 2.1 - Very nice sound quality(for a 2.1 computer setup, don't need the audiophiles flaming in here;)). Good balance b/t highs, mids and lows. The separate tweeter/driver configuration allows for this nice balance. Grab these if you want the highest fidelity you can get. the only downside is they aren't the loudest tings you can get. Cost: roughly $149.

Logitech Z-2300 - These are without a doubt the loudest things you can get. For a 2.1 computer setup, I would classify these as mind-bendingly loud. My roommate has these currently, and it is difficult to sit at his desk with the speakers at half volume. The loudest we have ever had it was 3/4 volume, and we couldnt' even stand in his room. It was just too loud. the downside is that the Logitech's lack a little bit in the midrange compared to the ProMedia's. the combined phase-plug driver is the reason for this slight loss. Now with that said, they still sound really nice, just not quite as "full" as the Klipsch setup. Grab these if you want to shake your house, and the neighbor's house....across the street. Cost: roughly $100(check the Egg).

Personally, I'd pick the Logitechs simply b/c they are quite a bit cheaper. Although the Klipsch's are real nice, too.

04-22-2006, 08:21 AM
I hate headphones/speakers that lack in the midrange sound. If the klipsch 2.1 are anything like the promedia ultra 5.1, they will lack in the midrange. So that means the logitechs are even worse. There are not many good quality computer speakers out there, I was forced to use headphones (not necessarily a bad thing, I love their sound). I ended up with sennheiser hd650, with a pa2v2 amp, although I have a corda headfive amp on preorder, the pa2v2 aint great, but it will do till I get the headfive. The midrange sound on this setup, is ... amazing. If this is for music then I would highly consider headphones, as the midrange was so poor on the ultra 5.1 that on some songs with a lot of instruments, I could hardly make out the vocals (same for watching dvds).

Jokester_wild
04-22-2006, 05:23 PM
I hate headphones/speakers that lack in the midrange sound. If the klipsch 2.1 are anything like the promedia ultra 5.1, they will lack in the midrange. So that means the logitechs are even worse. There are not many good quality computer speakers out there, I was forced to use headphones (not necessarily a bad thing, I love their sound). I ended up with sennheiser hd650, with a pa2v2 amp, although I have a corda headfive amp on preorder, the pa2v2 aint great, but it will do till I get the headfive. The midrange sound on this setup, is ... amazing. If this is for music then I would highly consider headphones, as the midrange was so poor on the ultra 5.1 that on some songs with a lot of instruments, I could hardly make out the vocals (same for watching dvds).

Yeah im not a fan of PC speakers myself, thats why i run two Athena speakers, off a Harman/Kardon amp.

But i think the Klipsch are the best for my friend, not as much as a home stereo but still decent sound.

yuckfou
05-08-2006, 04:57 PM
have you tried AL FX5021?