PDA

View Full Version : Sapphire A9RD580 Bug/Issues/Fixed

Pages : [1] 2

xs64
04-21-2006, 09:54 AM
Hello everyone , who owns a Sapphire A9RD580
I create this topic to discuss about this mobo : bugs , how to fix , trick ect

I have this mobo for about 2 weeks , and got many issues with Bios
As far this mobo overclock very good , but the Bios has to be improved and fixed
And i tested with all Bios in Sapphire website ( 0403 , 0411 )

Ok , let's go

*1. PC will not turn on everytime you turn it off , including turn off your PSU or not. At this time clearing Cmos is your friend ( i did it too many times that cant remember in 2 weeks )

*2. With divider 200 , when you set Trwt-Twtr-Twr = 2-1-2 , it will auto change 3-1-2
With divider 166 , when you set Trwt-Twtr-Twr = 2-1-2 , it will auto change 2-1-3

*3. Divider 200 : Tref will be : 200 3.9us
Divider 166 : Tref will be : 166 3.9us
And U cant change this Tref in Bios

*4. In User Config Mode , only these settings can be adjusted : Max Async , Read Preamble , DDR Drive Strength N/P
The others cant be adjusted , they will not change or make PC not boot

That's all the issues of Timings setting

*5. Issues of LDT Freq.: cant set 5 when HTT is over 280 , you must set it 4 for HTT 280 --> 340 or more . Even when you pump up HT Link Volt , PCIe Volt or CFx3200 Volt ect

*6. One more issue is the Vcore :
Better not adjust CPU Vid Control , just leave it at DF and adjust the CPU Volt Offset
Or you must set CPU Volt Offset = 0.24v , then adjust CPU Vid Control

And for sweet Overclocking your CPU , i recommend these setting

First , leave the HTT bus at DF , set RD580 HT Drive Strength and RD580 HT Receiver Comp. = 31 , RD580 HT PLL Control = Fast
And then turn off PC ( PSU too )
Then turn PC on , start raising HTT ect

And even chipset RD580 is not too hot , but the passive heatsink of Sapphire seems too much hot , i cant touch the HS in 3 seconds ( about 80°C at full load without airflow )

Also there is no Software can monitor Temps , Volts ect. ATI System manager can only adjust HTT , no more. This is very annoying for end-user who hope this board can OC like hell

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Maybe there are still some bugs that i have not faced them. So please feel free to report.

Best Regards.

ps : sry for my poor EN

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Update :
Ok, Speedfan does work if started with the /NOSMBSCAN option. At least I can now somehow check my CPU temp on this "great" overclocker mobo....
Found out how to make Lavalys Everest not freeze the system: Create EVEREST.INI in the program folder. Content:

[Generic]

LowLevelSMBus=0

situman
04-21-2006, 10:04 AM
Sounds like a half baked board, bios wise.

balrog
04-21-2006, 10:30 AM
This board is giving me some headaches too. Via google i found this link, which could be helpful. Couldn't test it myself...

http://www.cdrinfo.com/fw/Overclocking_Guide_CrossFire_Xpress3200.pdf

*5. Issues of LDT Freq.: cant set 5 when HTT is over 280 , you must set it 4 for HTT 280 --> 340 or more . Even when you pump up HT Link Volt , PCIe Volt or CFx3200 Volt ect

I don't think this is an issue. HTT 4x280 = 1120 should be sufficient. Everything above 600 should have no performance impact.

balrog
04-21-2006, 10:36 AM
Found out how to make Lavalys Everest not freeze the system: Create EVEREST.INI in the program folder. Content:

[Generic]

LowLevelSMBus=0

Marlowe
04-21-2006, 11:36 AM
Thanks a lot for making this thread! Finally seeing some temps and voltages :D

I think the board reads the temps a bit low.. Or maby this is normal temps for stock 144 with Tuniq? Touching 32 after a while now..

balrog
04-21-2006, 11:53 AM
Marlowe, I think Temp1 is the CPU!

I got the following readings on running Prime95:

Temp2 went from 24 to 39 C
Temp1 went from 34 to 42 C

this is running on an Arctic Freezer 64 on full speed (yes, no fan speed management, great achievement Sapphire!).

I think T2 maybe the bridge chip and T1 the CPU.

xs64
04-21-2006, 11:55 AM
I don't think this is an issue. HTT 4x280 = 1120 should be sufficient. Everything above 600 should have no performance impact.
Maybe , but i used Asus A8R32-MVP too ( chipset RD580 ) , and it easily run with HTT 300 and LDT 5 with no more volt needed
My DFI NF4 can run HTT 300 LDT 5 with LDT volt 1.4v

This Sapphire can not run LDT 5 even more volt

balrog
04-21-2006, 12:04 PM
Maybe , but i used Asus A8R32-MVP too ( chipset RD580 ) , and it easily run with HTT 300 and LDT 5 with no more volt needed
My DFI NF4 can run HTT 300 LDT 5 with LDT volt 1.4v

This Sapphire can not run LDT 5 even more volt

Maybe, but HTT 1500 or above is giving nothing to performance. it just generates more heat. stay around 1000 and be fine.

Oder anders gesagt: Balkenlänge oder Schwanzlänge ist uninteressant - ab einem bestimmten Punkt bringt mehr halt nicht mehr. HTT 1000 ist ausreichend für die zu transportierenden Daten.

Marlowe
04-21-2006, 12:55 PM
I really think Temp2 is supposed to be cpu, since it variates a bit like it typically does.. And also it has the same temps as it says in the bios.

macci
04-21-2006, 02:03 PM
*6. One more issue is the Vcore :
Better not adjust CPU Vid Control , just leave it at DF and adjust the CPU Volt Offset
Or you must set CPU Volt Offset = 0.24v , then adjust CPU Vid Control
Did you also try the latest A0411_A.bin (dated 19th Apr.) BIOS?
It seems that the VID + Offset control is now working in this release. It will list unsupported (by the CPU) VID values (such as 1.425-1.55V in the case of my FX60) but as long as you select a VID supported by the CPU both VID and Offset controls appear to be working now.
But then again it might be easier to just let VID to default and adjust voltage higher w/ the Offset setting which offers 0.60V above VID value (that should be enough?) :D

Marlowe
04-21-2006, 02:28 PM
The zip seems to be corrupt, can't extract.
BIOS Apr 19th, 2006 2K060411A 408.3KB http://www.sapphiretech.com/en/driverfiles/114.zip

Can you link from somewhere?

Edit: Sorry it's ok!

macci
04-21-2006, 02:33 PM
The zip seems to be corrupt, can't extract.
BIOS Apr 19th, 2006 2K060411A 408.3KB http://www.sapphiretech.com/en/driverfiles/114.zip

Can you link from somewhere?
Just downloaded from the link you provided and it extracts ok. Redownload perhaps?

There are still some issues with this release thou - update coming ASAP (should get rid of the boot up problems and give higher HTT X5 clock). Please be patient :)

Marlowe
04-21-2006, 05:32 PM
The board will not go directly to high HTTs, needs to go in steps of 20-30 MHz?

Doesn't like running my memory at 2,5-3-3-..?

Highest I've reached till now is 295 HTT. Not touched "HT Drive Strength" or "HT Receiver Comp" yet. Finally getting somewhere :)

Grayskull
04-21-2006, 05:45 PM
Guys please be patient. All of these issues have been tracked down to bios issues. Sapphire has been notified and is working on an update.

The board will be totally different with the newly updated bios. The ATI reference boards with reference bios do not suffer from these issues.

There is no need to overclock in increments when everything is working properly (including proper bios). You should be able to cold boot at 1400-1600 HT link no problem (variances based on CPU/board etc). Just FYI, every reference board that we have tried can cold boot and run anything error free at 1500 HT link with the right settings (HT PLL high speed mode and optimal drive settings).

Grayskull
04-21-2006, 05:48 PM
A new version of ATI System Manager will also follow with full support for the Manta reference board and any board based off of it (like the Sapphire board). It already exists as everyone has already seen from Chew* and Tony. It is undergoing a slight change and then full testing for release to the public.

We do not encourage the use of any 3rd party applications for motherboard monitoring as it cannot be guaranteed that they will work properly.

pcdoc1
04-21-2006, 06:30 PM
We do not encourage the use of any 3rd party applications for motherboard monitoring as it cannot be guaranteed that they will work properly.I for one are thrilled that ATI is active and paying attention to what’s happening with the RD580 boards regardless of the manufacturer… but I think you guys have been very slow to respond to problems. Additionally… statements like
We do not encourage the use of any 3rd party applications for motherboard monitoring as it cannot be guaranteed that they will work properly. ...are rather irrelevant when you are lucky that your $200.00+ board will even post, let alone worry ‘bout monitoring… With that said, when you see a screenie of ATI System Manager and you ask the poster for a link/copy of the app, you receive the response that it’s not for public release and “sorry ‘bout your luck”… So what alternatives are you suggesting? :mad:

Edit:
There is no need to overclock in increments when everything is working properly (including proper bios). You should be able to cold boot at 1400-1600 HT link no problem (variances based on CPU/board etc). Just FYI, every reference board that we have tried can cold boot and run anything error free at 1500 HT link with the right settings (HT PLL high speed mode and optimal drive settings).Does this mean that top level board manufacturers are not qualified to code a bios for this chipset without ATI's guidance? No offense here (I know I'm gonna get clobbered on this) but, if you forget Sapphire, does DFI, Asus, and Abit really need training from ATI?

i found nemo
04-21-2006, 06:46 PM
Maybe, but HTT 1500 or above is giving nothing to performance. it just generates more heat. stay around 1000 and be fine.

Oder anders gesagt: Balkenlänge oder Schwanzlänge ist uninteressant - ab einem bestimmten Punkt bringt mehr halt nicht mehr. HTT 1000 ist ausreichend für die zu transportierenden Daten.

can you PLEASE explain how that is true?

Grayskull
04-21-2006, 06:55 PM
You have to understand that ATI is working with other parties to get the issues solved. Once other parties are involved it generally takes more time to do things. These are Sapphire, ASUS, DFI, ECS, etc motherboards, NOT ATI motherboards.

The ATI System Manager that you are seeing screenshots of are beta versions being used by beta testers and haven't passed final qualifciation. This is why we are not allowing public distribution at this time. But we will. We are trying to keep one version that will support any ATI reference board and this adds complication. Qualification takes time and we want to release a fully working tool.

As for boards not posting and whatnot, ATI cannot control build quality and production testing of motherboards designed with our chipsets. I suggest that you contact your motherboard manufacturer or retail outlet if this happens.

I for one are thrilled that ATI is active and paying attention to what’s happening with the RD580 boards regardless of the manufacturer… but I think you guys have been very slow to respond to problems. Additionally… statements like ...are rather irrelevant when you’re lucky that your $200.00+ board will even post let alone worry ‘bout monitoring… With that said, when you see a screenie of ATI System Manager and you ask the poster for a link or a copy of the app, you receive the response that it’s not for public release and “sorry ‘bout your luck”… So what alternatives are you suggesting? :mad:

Grayskull
04-21-2006, 06:59 PM
Valid question...yes most Tier 1 and Tier 2 motherboard makers are skilled enough and do not require training. However they do need to program the chipset properly, especially for overclocking and to do so, they need programming instructions from the chipset vendor (in this case ATI)

Edit: Does this mean that top level board manufacturers are not qualified to code a bios for this chipset without ATI's guidance? No offense here (I know I'm gonna get clobbered on this) but, if you forget Sapphire, does DFI, Asus, and Abit really need training from ATI?[/QUOTE]

situman
04-21-2006, 07:17 PM
Glad to see ATI reps are actively making sure that their produces are utilized correctly and to its full potential. The boards are even widely available yet, not in the US at least. So rushing is pointless for some of us. Besides, haven't we learned what rushed hardware/software is capable of doing to our wallets and patience? Just ask the many early DFI NF4 adopters. Although I must say, it would be a great idea to have a Built by ATI mobo and a new bios release every 1.5month or so. That way, when people (Joe sixpacks) buy ATI cards naturally they would think it is a good idea to pair it up with an ATI mobo and vice versa. Well, at least ATI can advertise it that way.

BTW, anyone seen that Nvidia rep around? Anyone? Anyone?

markr
04-21-2006, 07:26 PM
Grayskull your avatar needs an upgrade.

pcdoc1
04-21-2006, 07:28 PM
Valid question...yes most Tier 1 and Tier 2 motherboard makers are skilled enough and do not require training. However they do need to program the chipset properly, especially for overclocking and to do so, they need programming instructions from the chipset vendor (in this case ATI)

Edit: Does this mean that top level board manufacturers are not qualified to code a bios for this chipset without ATI's guidance? No offense here (I know I'm gonna get clobbered on this) but, if you forget Sapphire, does DFI, Asus, and Abit really need training from ATI?Three cheers, I appreciate your response... It's clear in my sig what product I'm testing/using and I'm very content with it... ;) I didn't intend to highjack the thread and will regress from any further OT discussion… Certainly my opinions/conclusions are irrelevant; but I appreciate your response and are satisfied that the growing pains will be resolved…

Regards-

pcdoc1
04-21-2006, 07:45 PM
....BTW, anyone seen that Nvidia rep around? Anyone? Anyone?situman: yep, to my surprise he posted a few weeks ago suggesting that my OC problems were related to the “ingrown” toenail on my left foot; he stated that he was going to level 1 tech support to resolve the issue. To date I haven’t received any response, but I’m still confident that they will prescribe a med that will fix the problem…

Regards

Marlowe
04-22-2006, 08:38 AM
I'm in a debate wether to return this mobo now or wait 3-4 months for the finished bios and software. Sapphire needs to sharpen up.

xs64
04-22-2006, 08:44 AM
Guys please be patient. All of these issues have been tracked down to bios issues. Sapphire has been notified and is working on an update.

The board will be totally different with the newly updated bios. The ATI reference boards with reference bios do not suffer from these issues.

There is no need to overclock in increments when everything is working properly (including proper bios). You should be able to cold boot at 1400-1600 HT link no problem (variances based on CPU/board etc). Just FYI, every reference board that we have tried can cold boot and run anything error free at 1500 HT link with the right settings (HT PLL high speed mode and optimal drive settings).
Thx for your responsibility :toast:
I'm waiting day after day for the "superior Bios" :)

he board will not go directly to high HTTs, needs to go in steps of 20-30 MHz?
Did you set HT Drive strength = 31 and save Bios , turn off PC , then turn on and go directly to HTT 290 ? I guess it will work

chefnr1
04-22-2006, 10:46 AM
good this thread is coming up will follow it and learn more about my new sapphire board...

Marlowe
04-23-2006, 04:23 AM
Did you set HT Drive strength = 31 and save Bios , turn off PC , then turn on and go directly to HTT 290 ? I guess it will workYou were right :toast:

Currently 8+ hours primestable at 290 HTT

But 300 won't boot - reboots during windows startup. Anyone got settings for 300+ HTT?

xs64
04-23-2006, 06:15 AM
You were right :toast:

Currently 8+ hours primestable at 290 HTT

But 300 won't boot - reboots during windows startup. Anyone got settings for 300+ HTT?
I'm at 300x10 now , cooled by Thermaltake BigWater 745
Have you tried HT Volt = 1.30v ?

http://img.techpowerup.org/060423/SNAG-0026.jpg

Tony
04-23-2006, 07:27 AM
Guys lets be patient, I have 2 Manta reference boards and 1 sapphire Manta and they are all stunning with the ATI reference bios, the only issue is its an 8mb file where the sapphire one is a 4mb file so you can't flash it without changing the bios chip.

ATI are pushing sapphire to get the issues resolved, im sure you will see a new bios real soon and you will all love the boards as i do.

Manta reference even with the slower 450SB is for me the best RD580 board i have for ease of overclocking and balls out grunt when overclocking my video card, sit tight, a new bios will sort this all out for you.

xs64
04-23-2006, 07:53 AM
I have one question
Why Clockgen has no Memory Buffer in this board ? but my old Asus A8R32 has it

Tony
04-23-2006, 07:56 AM
I have one question
Why Clockgen has no Memory Buffer in this board ? but my old Asus A8R32 has it
Asus has the skew chips on the motherboard, the sapphire manta does not have them...

Thats why you have no memory buffer

xs64
04-23-2006, 07:59 AM
Asus has the skew chips on the motherboard, the sapphire manta does not have them...

Thats why you have no memory buffer
Thanks, i got it :)

Marlowe
04-23-2006, 11:27 AM
What does it mean that the board is missing the skew chip? And why does it miss it btw?

I have to return my mobo anyways because the integrated audio is not working.

Grayskull
04-23-2006, 12:22 PM
Some motherboards utilize a DDR clock buffer chip to skew the memory clock to the dimms. This can improve memory overclocking. To date only the DFI CFX3200, ASUS A8R32-MVP and ASUS A8R-MVP use it as far as I know.

Marlowe, as for your audio, you need to install the Microsoft UAA driver first. Then install the Realtek audio driver. If you have done this and it doesn't work, check if there are any yellow bangs in the device manager indicating something didn't install. If everything installs without issue and you still have no sound then the board could be faulty.

situman
04-23-2006, 01:06 PM
Guys lets be patient, I have 2 Manta reference boards and 1 sapphire Manta and they are all stunning with the ATI reference bios, the only issue is its an 8mb file where the sapphire one is a 4mb file so you can't flash it without changing the bios chip.

ATI are pushing sapphire to get the issues resolved, im sure you will see a new bios real soon and you will all love the boards as i do.

Manta reference even with the slower 450SB is for me the best RD580 board i have for ease of overclocking and balls out grunt when overclocking my video card, sit tight, a new bios will sort this all out for you.

It would be nice if we can order those 8mb chips with the special bios. Sapphire sucks when it comes to bioses. They still can't write a good bios for the Grouper board.

Tony
04-23-2006, 02:32 PM
Well all we need is a source for the bios chips and im sure i may get the go ahead to release a special bios like i did for grouper.

BTW if you have issues with grouper the bios i released did help with 99.9% of the issues everyone was seeing.

situman
04-23-2006, 03:26 PM
Not much of an issue. I used the bios from November still. Overclocking the ram on that thing is a little tough. I will try your bios (if I can figure out how to flash it) when the new memory comes.

Grayskull
04-23-2006, 03:29 PM
No need for bios chips...I'm sure we can arrange for a 4 MB version. ;)

Well all we need is a source for the bios chips and im sure i may get the go ahead to release a special bios like i did for grouper.

BTW if you have issues with grouper the bios i released did help with 99.9% of the issues everyone was seeing.

generics_user
04-23-2006, 04:05 PM
No need for bios chips...I'm sure we can arrange for a 4 MB version. ;)
yesterday i got the sapphire-manta as a birthday--present and so far i don´t know anything about it except that the original bios isn´t that great, so i wanted to ask:

is it possible to use the ati-manta bios on an sapphire-board, and if it is where to get one from???

Marlowe
04-23-2006, 11:51 PM
No need for bios chips...I'm sure we can arrange for a 4 MB version. ;)Seeing as these Sapphire mobos generally are more or less similar to the reference design, and depending on how deep your (ATI's) commitment to us (may I dear call us enthusiasts?) are, it would be fantastic to get our bioses and software directly from you ;)

I don't want to ask about too much of course. I'm sure your cooperation with Sapphire will bring us some ok bioses and software in the end.. :p:

@generics_user: As Tony said, the Sapphire and reference bioses are of different formats so it's not possible atm. This is if ATI doesn't convert them of course.. :)

Tony
04-24-2006, 12:56 AM
ATI do actually have both AMI and Award reference files for the boards, so getting an Award 4mb file should not be an issue.

I have found the AMI to actually be a better bios though, so me personnally I would get the bigger bios IC and go that route, for an easy life though you may want to wait for the 4mb award version to be leaked.

chefnr1
04-24-2006, 11:25 PM
I'm about to start my pure mb, any tips what bios i should use with my Geil One mem sticks, and please some settings, would be very thanksfull for any help, rig in sign and theres org bios in it and i dont know wich yet , be back soon wich bios it's on it:)

EDIT: my bios are AWARD workstation bios V 6.00 PG, bios-I-4M
made 02/22/06 RD580-SB450-6A 668PR9C-00

dont know if it helped should i flash in a new bios like the one earlier on the thread, and like i said before need help whit setting to mem if someone could help me i have Geil One BH5 that like 3,6-3.7v and do about 270+...

generics_user
04-25-2006, 05:54 AM
ATI do actually have both AMI and Award reference files for the boards, so getting an Award 4mb file should not be an issue.

I have found the AMI to actually be a better bios though, so me personnally I would get the bigger bios IC and go that route, for an easy life though you may want to wait for the 4mb award version to be leaked.
where can i get an bios-ic?

and where to download the 4m-bios????

chefnr1
04-25-2006, 10:38 PM
my sapphire pure was dead on arrival so i will change it today, no mather what i'll ever try just that stupit beeping and i hav checked everting on the board so there no loose cables or other stuff thats dont sit tight, will post hows it going with the new i will get today...

xs64
04-26-2006, 12:11 AM
BTW has anyone run 4GB on this board ?
It shows only 3.25Gb in Windows abd Bios , but CPU-Z recognise all 4Gbs

And i cant set over 2.3Gb to test in blend and memtest ( in windows ) ? ( look at those red in pic )

http://img.techpowerup.org/060426/SNAG-0028.jpg

chefnr1
04-26-2006, 01:35 AM
get a new one no no beeb and in to bios works fine will test som more later hopes theres no trouble with this one crossing my fingers :)

SIOUX
04-26-2006, 02:26 AM
BTW has anyone run 4GB on this board ?
It shows only 3.25Gb in Windows abd Bios , but CPU-Z recognise all 4Gbs

And i cant set over 2.3Gb to test in blend and memtest ( in windows ) ? ( look at those red in pic )

http://img.techpowerup.org/060426/SNAG-0028.jpg

AFAIK windowsXP can only detect 3gb ram as max :)

chefnr1
04-26-2006, 09:36 AM
tested to clock a little htt about 295, but not stable, any suggestons????? get my sandy a 3122mhz at air is'nt that good or at org vcore???
and SIOUX msn me if u can...

please if anyone have a bios setting to share have org bios in for now but i am to confused about to do anything in bios on my board, mostley mem setting will help me alot..

EDIT: is there any chance that there is a clockgen to this Sapphire Pure CF A9-RD580

chefnr1
04-28-2006, 10:34 AM
:banana::banana::banana::banana:ing :banana::banana::banana::banana:board nothing works on it , bios is a djungel for me settings are very strange i set all in safe mode for bh-5 but when i reboot just beeping. please need some help here...

Marlowe
05-08-2006, 12:33 PM
I got help from Fosco from ocshoot.no with setting the A64 Tweaker correct..
And I just thought I'd like to share how high I got the HTT :)
Don't know if it's any good but I'm happy I could do it :p:

Fosco
05-09-2006, 07:40 AM
I got help from Fosco from ocshoot.no with setting the A64 Tweaker correct..
And I just thought I'd like to share how high I got the HTT :)
Don't know if it's any good but I'm happy I could do it :p:

Happy to help alittle bro ..

Looking forward to test your 2. sapphire mb , should be here on friday ore so :)

chefnr1
05-09-2006, 09:06 AM
would like to se the the setting the A64 Tweaker correct, if it's not too much, and a good bios setting would bee nice if someone have to share..

Marlowe
05-09-2006, 01:17 PM
I used the '411' bios. With that bios you must set some things with the tweaker, cause as you know the lower settings in the DRAM config screen are not saved.

Marlowe
05-09-2006, 01:20 PM
Also this is the max cpu clock I can get till now. Vcore is 1,50 V

chefnr1
05-09-2006, 04:36 PM
will try that out , but where to find '411' bios? if this will help me i will sell the rigg and get me another one, i'm so pissed of about this board now..

Marlowe
05-09-2006, 10:09 PM
Hehe it's linked from the first page of this thread, and is the one on Sapphire's webpage :)

Fosco
05-12-2006, 06:18 AM
To get cpuZ to report the REAL vcore , open cpuZ.ini and change : VCore=0 ---> VCore=1 and save

http://www.klokking.com/bilder/cpuZ.JPG

chefnr1
05-12-2006, 01:36 PM
Hehe it's linked from the first page of this thread, and is the one on Sapphire's webpage :)
haha thanks bro;)

situman
05-12-2006, 03:51 PM
One of the issues I have is that I can't find a board for sale in the US. Are they going to wait till AM10 before they ship this board?

markr
05-12-2006, 03:57 PM
Great to hear the new bios works. I have already downloaded it. Just wish I had a board to try it out on.:(

chefnr1
05-12-2006, 04:28 PM
yea happy you i will selll my board ,i'ts the badliest i've ever had...

Marlowe
05-13-2006, 12:11 AM
yea happy you i will selll my board ,i'ts the badliest i've ever had...What do you have problems with? Have you tried the latest bios from Tony? Everything works very nice here now.

chefnr1
05-13-2006, 10:25 AM
have tried it nothing will work on this board, badley :banana::banana::banana::banana:..

Tony
05-15-2006, 12:39 PM
New ASM for you guys, pass it round if you can.

grab it here (http://homepage.ntlworld.com/a.leach80/bios%20files/manta/ATISystemManager%20(External%20use%20-%20Overclocking).zip)

Marlowe
05-15-2006, 01:33 PM
Thanks alot!

Temps are not right with your latest bios though :) I've got -1 for cpu and N/A for NB. But there are a plethora of other settings here to explore :D Like setting voltages and timings :D I wish I didn't have a trillion examns this month so I had more time :p:

Fosco
05-15-2006, 11:57 PM
Tnx Tony :)

Nice to have Drive strength P and N adjustment in windows, same with the voltage adjustments.

Working my way up on UCCC atm.

markr
05-17-2006, 03:32 PM
Could this finally be it?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813154010

Never heard of deluxe.

markr
05-18-2006, 06:09 AM
Could this finally be it?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813154010

Never heard of deluxe.

Pictures are up. It is the MANTA. Finally here in the states.:D

Diverge
05-18-2006, 07:15 AM
I'm glad my urge to buy one has passed:D

markr
06-09-2006, 04:30 PM

Any chance of getting the 8mb bios if we get the right chip?

http://www.bioschip.com/

chew*
07-16-2006, 10:51 AM
Looks like it's time i rekindled this thread.

markr
07-16-2006, 04:21 PM
Looks like it's time i rekindled this thread.

Amen

situman
07-16-2006, 05:16 PM
a little late now. I think its safe to say this board bombed out. Simply took too long to come out.

chew*
07-17-2006, 08:50 AM
may be a little late but none the less it still OC's and runs very good, and furthermore doesn't commit suicide or kill hardware.

markr
07-17-2006, 09:00 AM
Agreed.... I know of no other 939 crossfire board that comes close.

markr
07-17-2006, 09:05 AM
Chew* are you still on a rev A board? If so does your American Megatrends bios include Ruby? I know it is a petty concern but we miss her.:D

Doomeous
07-21-2006, 05:31 AM
This board needs a stinking new bios. One that does not shut off at high clocks with high voltages. One that is a bit more stable with higher mem speeds. One that shows that Sapphire and ATI cares hehe. :slapass:

eXa
08-02-2006, 09:43 AM
so how is it with bios? is it possible to get a good one soon?

edit: what would you recomend me to get? manta or grouper?

markr
08-02-2006, 03:47 PM
I would suggest Manta and use the leaked AMI bios. Both are great boards.

eXa
08-02-2006, 09:34 PM
do i need to get a hold of a 8mb chip then?

markr
08-03-2006, 11:42 AM
No. Not needed. There is 4mg version.

eXa
08-03-2006, 05:37 PM
cool. really tempting to get this board then. there is aleays usb wlan card, and other usb devices to compensate for only 1 pci port....

eXa
08-10-2006, 05:07 PM
ok. payed for it today. if im lucky ill get it on saturday, or else ill get it monday.

So where do i get the magic bios?

markr
08-11-2006, 08:04 AM
ok. payed for it today. if im lucky ill get it on saturday, or else ill get it monday.

So where do i get the magic bios?

Magic Bios :D

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/a.leach80/bios%20files/manta/manta15AMI.zip

eXa
08-11-2006, 01:33 PM
ok. do i need a stupid floppy to update, or can i do it in windows(or boot cd)?

markr
08-11-2006, 01:50 PM
You will need to use F32A to flash because you will be going from a Phoenix bios to an American Mega Trends bios. As far as I know this can not be done from windows.

The command would be : F32A biosfilename.bin /b

eXa
08-11-2006, 06:13 PM
hmm. ill think ill need more spesific help when i get the board...
dang, have find a place where they still sell floppys then, have the drive but no disc...

man, never really used a floppy, hated it already in my k6-2 days...

Grayskull
08-11-2006, 06:20 PM
You could use a DOS bootable USB stick to reflash the bios. You don't *have* to use floppy.

eXa
08-11-2006, 06:30 PM
any normal usb stick would work?

eXa
08-17-2006, 02:36 PM
yay, finally got it today. hopefully ill get it installed saturday.

(not letting this thread die)

markr
08-17-2006, 04:01 PM
Keep it alive..............:)

Rolle2k
08-18-2006, 06:30 AM
i really would like a newer bios for my board :|

markr
08-18-2006, 05:08 PM
i really would like a newer bios for my board :|

Which one are you using?

Rolle2k
08-19-2006, 01:55 PM
Not anyone right now, the card is on RMA, my new PSU fried it and another board. Anyway, i was have been trying both betas and the one that came with the board. Think it's a bit bad that there is no support for this board. At least Sapphire should release any newer bios imo.

eXa
08-20-2006, 07:43 AM
Doh! :mad:

didnt realize before now that i need a 8pin power instead of only 4pin.
Do i need an entire new psu or can i use it with only 4pin?

markr
08-20-2006, 09:55 AM
You can use it with the 4 pin for now. PC Power & Cooling told me it will make no difference. I upgraded anyway but it will work.

btw, I have the exact same Opty that you have in your sig. What chips are on your ram that you are using?

eXa
08-20-2006, 10:12 AM
dammit. cant get my dvd drive to work. just keep making this
tikking sound over and over again. and wont read the xp innstall cd...
Guess ill have to try my old cd drive to se if there is any difference.

i think its uccc on brain power, havent looked though...

Edit: tried switching from CS to Master first. no difference....

Edit2: ok cd-rom worked. switching to that for now. why didnt my nec dvd drive work?

eXa
08-20-2006, 02:53 PM
not the best start ive had with a board.
first time i rebooted, i got an error that windows didnt load succesfully or something. had to use the windows cd to fix it. just ran fixboot and it worked.
wouldnt care if it wasnt for that it happends 1\3 of the times i boot! argh.
though, it could be my pata-sata adapter on my disk...

Secondly, i put the innstallation cd that came with the board and got an error that it didnt support my MB... jeez, thats a new one!
i just downloaded the drivers instead.

third. now i got this error every time windows load, what is it? i hvae no yellow marks wich indicate that something isnt innstalled...

markr
08-20-2006, 03:06 PM
Which bios are you on?

Do you have your X1900 yet? (chipset drivers are included with the Cat's)

eXa
08-20-2006, 03:09 PM
no x1900 yet. maybe next week. wich bios... hmm not the good one atleast.
have to check.

Dang speedfan 4.29 made my system freeze...

edit: when i open speedfan, it always crashes when it says: Scanning Atilgp SMBus at $0B00 (<-zeroes not O`s)

btw, bios version: 08.00.12...

eXa
08-20-2006, 03:26 PM
dam, systool made the system freeze too! aint i allowed to read the temps?

eXa
08-20-2006, 03:27 PM

[Generic]

LowLevelSMBus=0

ah....

edit: if i only understood what he is saying...?

markr
08-20-2006, 03:28 PM
no x1900 yet. maybe next week. wich bios... hmm not the good one atleast.
have to check.

Dang speedfan 4.29 made my system freeze...

edit: when i open speedfan, it always crashes when it says: Scanning Atilgp SMBus at $0B00 (<-zeroes not O`s)

btw, bios version: 08.00.12...

Make a shortcutt for speedfan and enter this at end of target line.

/NOSMBSCAN

you will also need to launch the newest ATI system manager to get proper cpu temps. without it it will most likely read negative something.

In speedfan temp1 is VRM temp2 is CPU and temp3 is AMB temp4 is core

eXa
08-20-2006, 03:36 PM
sweet! thanks. 1 problem solved...

eXa
08-20-2006, 03:43 PM
New ASM for you guys, pass it round if you can.

grab it here (http://homepage.ntlworld.com/a.leach80/bios%20files/manta/ATISystemManager%20(External%20use%20-%20Overclocking).zip)

dang, still reports negative. is there a newer asm than this?

markr
08-20-2006, 03:45 PM
Yes, there is a newer one.

Get it here....

http://www.sapphiretech.com/en/driverfiles/193.zip

eXa
08-20-2006, 03:51 PM
Are you using v 1.55?

Get it here....

http://www.sapphiretech.com/en/driverfiles/193.zip

thanks! now it works!

eXa
08-20-2006, 05:36 PM
ill be back tomorrow with more questions when ill try to oc some. currently only running at 240x9 and with ram @ 215...

btw, dropped the pata-sata converter and now the boot problem is gone. so it was the converter.
wonder if my dvd drive works with it...?

Revv23
08-20-2006, 08:35 PM
after spending weeks with the reference board, i finnaly gave up and got a DFI.

I sat down with every stick of ram i had and just could not get things clocking. I have a whole notebook worth of drive strength settings, i literally tried every possible combination, and i simply couldnt get things running how i felt they should.

On the other hand, the DFI on stock bios with all auto settings would post easy and memtest easy at 270mhz with BH-5. Id certainly love to be proven wrong, maybe tony can get me that reference bios he was talking about? I could give a side by side comparison of the boards.

A real detailed review of each, what do you guys think?

eXa
08-21-2006, 06:47 AM
ok, bought some floppy disk today. im 23 and this is the first time i buy floppy disk... its 2006 WHAT HAS THE WORLD BECOME!

sorry...

So how do i proceed?

markr
08-21-2006, 07:47 AM
ok, bought some floppy disk today. im 23 and this is the first time i buy floppy disk... its 2006 WHAT HAS THE WORLD BECOME!

sorry...

So how do i proceed?

Make a bootable floppy and copy both F32A and your new bios to the floppy. Make sure your bios is set to boot from floopy first. Also setting bios to defaults is a good idea. Re-boot with floppy in drive. Then type "F32a biosname.bin /b" with out the quotes. If you are switching to the megatrends bios it will be .rom instead of .bin. You will get a message that this bios is not for this board but just ignor that. After flash power down, clear cmos with jumper, reboot and set bios to safe defaults then reboot once more and set it up to your liking.

markr
08-21-2006, 08:04 AM
after spending weeks with the reference board, i finnaly gave up and got a DFI.

I sat down with every stick of ram i had and just could not get things clocking. I have a whole notebook worth of drive strength settings, i literally tried every possible combination, and i simply couldnt get things running how i felt they should.

On the other hand, the DFI on stock bios with all auto settings would post easy and memtest easy at 270mhz with BH-5. Id certainly love to be proven wrong, maybe tony can get me that reference bios he was talking about? I could give a side by side comparison of the boards.

A real detailed review of each, what do you guys think?

Give it a go. The bios Tony was taking about is available now. BIG difference.

Marlowe
08-21-2006, 08:25 AM
I'm sorry if I'm missing anything, but has there come any newer/better bios than the one Tony came with? The one at sapphiretech.com is the same ol' 411? :)

I'm still using that bios, and extremely happy with my motherboard between. Even when I'll go conroe sooner or later, I'm not selling this! I'll be happy to help if I can :)

markr
08-21-2006, 08:41 AM
I'm sorry if I'm missing anything, but has there come any newer/better bios than the one Tony came with? The one at sapphiretech.com is the same ol' 411? :)

I'm still using that bios, and extremely happy with my motherboard between. Even when I'll go conroe sooner or later, I'm not selling this! I'll be happy to help if I can :)

Tony gave us 2. One was a award bios like the official bios and the other a American Mega Trends bios which is very different. For me the MegaTrends bios works best. It has no issues at all other than no splash screen of Ruby. The award bios for me would reset with a cold boot every time if I raised my HTT. Warm boot are fine but every morning at first power on I have to enter all settings in bios again with the Award bios.

btw, glad to hear you like your board. I love mine. :D

Marlowe
08-21-2006, 08:46 AM
Hehe yeah I'm also using "the very different one" ;)

eXa
08-21-2006, 11:08 AM
dammit! its not without a reason that i hate floppy. cant get it to work.
Double klick the floppy and get a message that it aint formatted, do you like to format now? i klick yes and after a few second i get a message that it aint no disc in drive a: insert disc....

mother......

edit: something is happening now....

Revv23
08-21-2006, 11:52 AM
Give it a go. The bios Tony was taking about is available now. BIG difference.

Not quite, i have the official reference board and i cant seem to get a good reference bios.

eXa
08-21-2006, 12:20 PM
dang. man this is hard. only get disc I\O error when i boot with the floppy...

finally!

So if it says:
AMIBIOS
Version: 08.00.12
Build: 04\28\06
Id: PRMT_B15

its alright!?

markr
08-21-2006, 02:33 PM
Not quite, i have the official reference board and i cant seem to get a good reference bios.

If you have the blue Manta....... pm GraySkull and he may set you up.

eXa
08-21-2006, 02:42 PM
weird. 235htt 1:1 was 1,5s slower in superpi than 240htt with 183 divider (215)

Lost almost no bandwith at all in everest...?

markr
08-21-2006, 02:58 PM
weird. 235htt 1:1 was 1,5s slower in superpi than 240htt with 183 divider (215)

Lost almost no bandwith at all in everest...?

I know I get a tad over 7000 with ram at 259Mhz and when I run it up to 270Mhz it is about 7400.

eXa
08-21-2006, 03:28 PM
hm now i need to make my ram go faster. cant do 240 with 2,5.3.3.5
there must be something to do to speed them up a bit...

markr
08-21-2006, 03:36 PM
hm now i need to make my ram go faster. cant do 240 with 2,5.3.3.5
there must be something to do to speed them up a bit...

Try slots 2 and 4 sometimes they clock higher.

eXa
08-21-2006, 05:53 PM
yeah, havent tried moving the ram around yet.
they respond to more volt, but im not shure how much i can give them...
Theese are the one i have: http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=77205

Currently at 300x9 but ram only 200 (2.3.2.5) because 166divider would be a bit high...
Mb started acting weird above 300htt. tried 305, but had to rais nb voltage to get it to work. tried 310 but got insert proper boot device then.
guess ill have to wait for better nb cooling to go past 300...

markr
08-21-2006, 06:05 PM
Did you set pll to high speed?
And all the 580 stuff to optimal?

eXa
08-21-2006, 09:37 PM
no. but will try that when i get home from work!

eXa
08-22-2006, 07:24 AM
woot. lost alot memory performance changing those 3 things...

From 6k to 5k in read and from 2,5k to 2k i write. latency went up alot too

Edit: didnt help me oc. still bsod while booting @ 305htt
Guess ill still need to raise voltage to NB to get higher, and i dont feel too comfortable with that without better cooling as the nb sink was pretty warm @ stock speed (50+?)

edit: never mind the first statement. just me remembering wrong. its actually opposite:)

eXa
08-22-2006, 10:31 AM
ok.
What is mps rev 1.1?
and what is ddr drive strenght (n) and (p) theyre set at level 6 both of them

Btw. i can restart without problems, but i cant turn of the system and turn it on again. have to clear cmos for that.

Marlowe
08-22-2006, 10:51 AM
You need to adjust Max async latency and Read preamble. These have very different settings from the DFI nf4. Try 9 and 7 respectively.

You don't need better nb cooling, or much voltage :)

Edit: My NB voltage is at 1,3V and I'm running ~320 HTT

eXa
08-22-2006, 11:02 AM
tried stock voltage, 305 no go. tried 1.3 305 ok, tried 310 no go....

will try those settings. is that for higher ram or higher htt or just performance?

Daam my nec nd3550 refuses to work on this motherboard and that is a big no no

edit:those setting lower performance a tad, so i guess its for higher ram..

Marlowe
08-22-2006, 11:33 AM
Try upping the HTT now. I'm running 133 divider and ~200 MHz on ram.

eXa
08-22-2006, 02:51 PM
ah! nice one. 305 stock voltage worked now!

Edit: not very stable though!

eXa
08-22-2006, 03:31 PM
tried upping some volts here and there, and adding a small fan to the NB sink.
seemed stable @ 305 but 310 was still no go.

back to 300 for now...

markr
08-22-2006, 03:39 PM
tried upping some volts here and there, and adding a small fan to the NB sink.
seemed stable @ 305 but 310 was still no go.

back to 300 for now...

did you give your cpu a little more voltage? It should do 311 @ 1.39v no problems. Also did you lower your HT multi to 4. @ 5 you will be over 1500. It is doable but you will need to raise NB volts more and there is no gain to be had with it that high.

eXa
08-22-2006, 03:46 PM
cpu runs fine @ 300\1,35 could probably do 1,325 too. but yes gave it 1,4 and nb 1,3 and the link thing to 1,3

and "only" 3x @ ht multi

markr
08-22-2006, 03:55 PM
Did you manually set ram volts or let it auto?
What is it set at?

Edit: Also dram drive strength to normal and dram data drive strength to 50% reduced, as it looks like your chips are Infineons like mine.

eXa
08-22-2006, 03:56 PM
2,7 but tried 2,76 just to be shure...

markr
08-22-2006, 05:58 PM
Any chance of a A64info shot so we can see your timings. It must be a simple oversight as people have done in excess of 400 HTT on this board.

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=101235&highlight=sapphire

eXa
08-22-2006, 06:15 PM
here.

Edit: oh it was a64info you asked for... downloaded it, but tweaker show the same info so i guess its ok?

eXa
08-22-2006, 06:37 PM
ok figured it had to do with something i did, so changed back to default only changing waht you told me earlier.
Writing this @ 310htt....
tref aint right though, its 7,8 in bios...

markr
08-22-2006, 06:49 PM
tref in windows never matches tref in bios ????? :( A64info seems to read it properly though.
I do find my machine more stable when my tref matches my memclock. You could try 133Mhz 3.9us or similar for tref.
Your timings a relativly loose for your ram so once you get your CPU where you like it you can tighten them up a bit.

Sounds like you may be getting somewhere. :)

Grayskull
You guys can leave the NB voltage at default for anywhere around 300 HTT. It will do that very easily at default voltage. If you raise the voltage all you'll succeed in doing is burning more power and creating heat in your case. :nono: In terms of raw HTT, the chipset is good to atleast 350 at default voltage. After that, with a 0.1V bump it'll do in excess of 420 HTT. The reason why few people ever suceed in doing this is that you need to change some memory timing parameters at around ~350+ HTT to make the board run stable and it has nothing to do with the chipset it's a CPU thing. Check the async latency ;)

eXa
315htt now. gonna leave it there while i sleep. lets se if F@H fails....

Edit: oh, so 1,22 is ok to around 350. guess ill never get that high with my cpu, but nice to know!

Grayskull
08-22-2006, 06:50 PM
What are you using to check tRef in windows? If you are using the tweaker, it's wrong.

tref in windows never matches tref in bios ????? :(

Sounds like you may be getting somewhere. :)

markr
08-22-2006, 07:02 PM
What are you using to check tRef in windows? If you are using the tweaker, it's wrong.

Yes tweaker is wrong. A64info seems to read it correctly. Or even the mighty ATISystemManager.

eXa
08-22-2006, 10:00 PM
tweaker says 200 3,9. ASM says 200 8k\16k rows and a64 only says 1560 cycles....;) and bios says 200 7,8us

xs64
08-23-2006, 03:23 AM
tweaker says 200 3,9. ASM says 200 8k\16k rows and a64 only says 1560 cycles....;) and bios says 200 7,8us
only Bios is right :)

btw i cant follow this thread cause i'm busy with my studying , so sorry

markr
08-23-2006, 07:03 AM

1560 is 200 7.8us but, i agree it is always what you have set in bios no matter what any proggy might say.

eXa
08-23-2006, 07:43 AM
yeah, im not to worried about that.

system har been running half a day @ 315. 1 core kept sending in unfinnished wu`s (F@H) but im confident that it was just a little low cpu voltage (1.375) for the speed (2835) so upped it to 1.4. will wait a few hours to se if its ok, the try 320++

Ok getting more satisfied with this mb now. but 1 major drawback. that my nec nd3550 doesnt work on this board. anyone have an idea about that?

Grayskull
08-23-2006, 10:37 AM
What's wrong with the nec drive? Is it a master or slave? Any other devices on the same IDE channel?

yeah, im not to worried about that.

system har been running half a day @ 315. 1 core kept sending in unfinnished wu`s (F@H) but im confident that it was just a little low cpu voltage (1.375) for the speed (2835) so upped it to 1.4. will wait a few hours to se if its ok, the try 320++

Ok getting more satisfied with this mb now. but 1 major drawback. that my nec nd3550 doesnt work on this board. anyone have an idea about that?

Marlowe
08-23-2006, 11:35 AM
I made this pic of my settings with my 144 I'm running at 316*9 = 2850 approx. (yes I love mspaint..)

My TCCD's SPD is damaged (I think) so I must run cas 2 (and ~200MHz) on them.

But you can see what is needed I guess :)

http://www.home.no/oomg/pics/daily.PNG

By the way my NEC nd2500a (or something) works without problems.

WinterHeart
08-23-2006, 11:54 AM
EDIT- unintentional double post......

WinterHeart
08-23-2006, 11:59 AM
both of you try to search for overclocking guide for xpress 3200 by Sami Mäkinen(maekinen if you are not finnish :D) its very helpfull for clocking on that board. helped me a lot. its orginally made for asus a8r32-mvp but most of the things are chipset related so it wont matter. and have you setted rd580 ht pll speed to fast? it helps a great deal for higher htt clocks. you should not need to lower htt multi at htt300. mine runs just fine htt300 at 5x multi and no volt bump.

eXa
08-23-2006, 12:58 PM
What's wrong with the nec drive? Is it a master or slave? Any other devices on the same IDE channel?

First i had my pata drive on a sata-pata adapter and rhe nec drive alone and as master on the pata.
But since the sata-pata adapter didnt wokr perfektly i had to ditch it(boot problems)
So now i have it as slave together with my hdd.

But its no different anyways. it act the same both ways.
Little hard to explain what it does, it makes this ticking sound, like its searching, for like 30s and goes silent.
Everytime i try reading a cd it just start tikking for 30s again...

My samsung cd drive works fine though...

eXa
08-23-2006, 01:00 PM
marlowe:
Isnt that pretty much exact what i got now? maybe exept for idle cycle limit...

Marlowe
08-23-2006, 02:42 PM
marlowe:
Isnt that pretty much exact what i got now? maybe exept for idle cycle limit...Uhm yeah you're right.. I've reached 370 HTT with these same settings.

I have no idea how to tune this stuff more correctly or how to get more out of the cpu though :p:

Edit: I've had that ticking sound (and following "hanging" meanwhile in explorer if trying to access it) before, on another old slot-in aopen cd-rom.. I'm not absolutely sure but I think it was defect :p:

Edit2: I have the 4,2MB Overclocking_Guide_CrossFire_Xpress3200.pdf if you want it :)

eXa
08-23-2006, 02:54 PM
ok.

doing 325x9 @ 1,41v right now. cpu-z 1.36 doesnt read the voltage offset i think, cus it still shows 1,4v

to bad there isnt a 150divider in bios, cus i think maybe with a little tweaking i could get 250 on the ram, and that it would give me alot more bandwith!

markr
08-23-2006, 03:41 PM
ok.

doing 325x9 @ 1,41v right now. cpu-z 1.36 doesnt read the voltage offset i think, cus it still shows 1,4v

to bad there isnt a 150divider in bios, cus i think maybe with a little tweaking i could get 250 on the ram, and that it would give me alot more bandwith!

You could use A64info to switch to 150 divider at startup. It works pretty slick.

eXa
08-23-2006, 03:56 PM
yeah i know. thinking about it. checking the limits on my ram right now.

Dam, my cpu hit a wall @ about 3ghz. did 330x9 @ 1,416 but not even 1,43 was enough for 335x9 maybe around 1,45 is needed.
so possible that 330 will be my 24\7 setup. atleast til my wc is as i like it to be. need a new pump(and new tubing\barbs)

eXa
08-23-2006, 04:26 PM
AH, Sweet!

Only changed cas latency from 2 to 3 and then my ram went from 215 to 250.
so using the 150divider got me 600 more mb\s on read and 250+ on write!

Edit:If i want to run dual superpi, do i have to do something special? or is it just to open 2 of them and run them?

Edit2: figured it out, was only to make 2 folders...

eXa
08-23-2006, 05:16 PM
this is starting to look like something!:cool:

eXa
08-23-2006, 06:01 PM
ok, running 320x9 @ 1,43 for now. should be pretty stable.
But god dam this cpu gets hot now! somewhere around 15-20k hotter @ load than 300x9 @ 1,35...

eXa
08-24-2006, 09:34 AM
Dang, the temp on this chip just skyrocketed! but it seemes to be stable so i guess its ok.
but i cant go for 3ghz....
It begs to be delidded i think.

Grayskull
08-24-2006, 10:19 AM
It's getting hot because it's consuming a lot more power now. This is where the 4 phase power and heatsinked FETs really start shining. :)

ok, running 320x9 @ 1,43 for now. should be pretty stable.
But god dam this cpu gets hot now! somewhere around 15-20k hotter @ load than 300x9 @ 1,35...

eXa
08-24-2006, 11:45 AM
yeah i know, but its REALLY hot!

markr
08-24-2006, 11:49 AM
What are the temps? And what is your cooling?

eXa
08-24-2006, 12:13 PM
man, almost 40 k delta....

cooling is in sig. soon gonna redo my loop a bit, throw out the nb block(just hanging in the air right now) and the waterchill gpu block(switching with mcw60 thats on my x1900)

only need a new pump then...

edit: will stick my outdoor thermometer down the t-line to check water temp....

edit2: hm a little bit higher delta than i thought. 8k air\water...

markr
08-24-2006, 12:22 PM
40 k delta t?

@ idle?

eXa
08-24-2006, 12:25 PM
no no. idle? wft is that? load of course!:D

edit: dual instance of F@H btw....

Edit2 oh, and its 40k air\cpu, not 40k idle\load...

eXa
08-25-2006, 11:06 AM
lowered the clocks to 2.8 @1,4v (312x9) now i get good temps again. 25k lower that 2.9 @1.43v....

What is mps rev? should it just stay at 1.1 or should i change it to 1.4?
what does it do?

eXa
08-26-2006, 01:56 AM
Ok i cant turn the pc off without having to clear cmos to get it to boot up again.
How can this be fixed?
Greyskull?

eXa
08-26-2006, 04:50 AM
both of you try to search for overclocking guide for xpress 3200 by Sami Mäkinen(maekinen if you are not finnish :D) its very helpfull for clocking on that board. helped me a lot. its orginally made for asus a8r32-mvp but most of the things are chipset related so it wont matter. and have you setted rd580 ht pll speed to fast? it helps a great deal for higher htt clocks. you should not need to lower htt multi at htt300. mine runs just fine htt300 at 5x multi and no volt bump.

could you possible give me a helping hand?

markr
08-26-2006, 07:54 AM
Ok i cant turn the pc off without having to clear cmos to get it to boot up again.
How can this be fixed?
Greyskull?

You are having this issue with the AMI bios?

If so maybe it is your battery. I had to replace mine at about 3 weeks. A lot of times motherboard makers buy them by the boat load and they end up sitting on the shelf for too long before they are put into new board.

eXa
08-26-2006, 08:30 AM
checked it with mm it was above 3v....

Marlowe
08-26-2006, 01:11 PM
I had cold boot problems with the first bios released with this board, but not with the AMI. You could try flashing it properly again, making sure everything is correct. There shouldn't be cold boot problems.

By the way, I'm almost impressed with how much troubles you've had :)
I also like your avatar ;)

eXa
08-26-2006, 02:50 PM
*shrug*
youre impressed huh, no :banana::banana::banana::banana:! im getting tired of mb with lots of issues (939dual, a8r-mvp), thats why i got this board! yeah some issues with it originaly but the ami bios should take care of that, but noo. My dvd-drive doesnt even WORK on this board. whats that all about?

Where can i get a hold of that 8mb chip? maybe that original bios could make some thing better...?

btw; i like them too :)

Edit: is this correct:

AMIBIOS
Version 08.00.12
Build: 04/28/06
ID: PRMT_B15

?

markr
08-26-2006, 05:29 PM
That is the one. I would have to agree with Marlowe and suggest a reflash. It should not have cold boot issues.

edit: chip can be had at badflash.com
edit2: are you able to try the dvd drive again on another machine? And does windoze report the drive as working on your Manta?

eXa
08-26-2006, 05:58 PM
yeah i suppose i can flash it again. @ 275htt i can turn off the system and then turn it on again. but @300 i have to clear cmos to get it to boot. havent checked exactly where the limit is though.

Windoze? if you mean if the drive is found in "my computer"? then yes. but it wont read the cd. so the logo doesnt change either. just the standard dvd-rom logo...

edit: restart always works fine...

eXa
08-27-2006, 09:57 AM
ok, reflashed the bios, lest se if it starts this time....

Edit: nope, nothings changed....

eXa
08-27-2006, 10:34 AM
*shrug*
i cant jump straight to 300 either. i tried the nec drive again but i wont work.
lowerer the htt to 200 for the ocasion(?) and when i pumped it up to 300 again it wouldnt boot. have to do 250first then 300...

markr
08-27-2006, 11:01 AM
So just to be sure....

In bios at the Advanced tab, under Hyper Transport Config:

NB HT Link Width is set to Auto or 16bit
RD580 HT Drive Strength is set to Optimal
HT Receiver Comp Ctrl is set to Optimal
RD580 HT PLL Control is set to High Speed

Also for your DVD drive what I meant by Windoze was in Device Manager is it showing it as working properly?

Edit: When you re-flashed did you set bios back to default first?

eXa
08-27-2006, 12:13 PM
check for everything! (including edit)

As for the nec, when i tried it again system rebooted instantly the moment i got into windows so i dont know...

will try it in another machine to check that its ok...

eXa
08-27-2006, 03:53 PM
This is all i do in bios, this is how my system is running right now:

1. set time date
2. Disable floppy everywhere
3. Prosessor FID to 9x
4. Prosessor VID to 1,35
5. Cpu\ht to 250
6. Memclockmode to Force
7. Memclock value 133
8. Mct timing to manually (though didnt change anything at this speed)
9. Userconfig to manually
10. Read preample to 7
11. Async latency to 9
12. Dram voltage to 2.7
13. All the hyper transport things(800\16\optimal\optimal\high speed)
14. Boot priority
15. Save and exit, and into bios again
16. Change HTT to 300
17. save\exit\boot....

thats all!

eXa
08-28-2006, 01:56 PM
ok some good news... kinda.

Cant get my nec drive to work on the other machine too. going to rma it.
Wonder what happend to it?

Grayskull
08-28-2006, 05:19 PM
Try this and report back (make sure you are on the AMI bios and it's flashed correctly)

1) Turn off power
2) Clear cmos
3) Turn on power and start up the system
4) enter cmos menu
5) press F9 to load optimal defaults
6) set fid to x8
7) set vid to 1.35
8) set htt to 300
9) memclock mode to manual and set 100 or 133 (try both if the first one you try fails)
10) dram voltage to 2.7V or whatever the sticks run at
11) HT 1GHz/16/optimal/optimal/high speed
12) HT voltage to 1.3V

Don't touch anything else and try to boot directly to 300 FSB. If this works, then either the memory or CPU isn't stable for some reason. If it doesn't work try the same sequence (start from the beginning again) but with HT settings of 800 MHz/16/optimal/optimal/high speed. This has worked on every Xpress3200 Manta system that I can think of but we never played with Opterons too much.

Report back what your results are. The point here is to try and isolate the problem of not being able to go directly to 300HTT. Once you figure that out, then you can start tweaking out your ram and CPU. Even fall back to one memory stick and try it if you have no luck. We have seen memory "holes" at certain speeds. Sometimes memory runs too slow and will cause strange things the same is true if it runs too fast (obviously).

This is all i do in bios, this is how my system is running right now:

1. set time date
2. Disable floppy everywhere
3. Prosessor FID to 9x
4. Prosessor VID to 1,35
5. Cpu\ht to 250
6. Memclockmode to Force
7. Memclock value 133
8. Mct timing to manually (though didnt change anything at this speed)
9. Userconfig to manually
10. Read preample to 7
11. Async latency to 9
12. Dram voltage to 2.7
13. All the hyper transport things(800\16\optimal\optimal\high speed)
14. Boot priority
15. Save and exit, and into bios again
16. Change HTT to 300
17. save\exit\boot....

thats all!

markr
08-28-2006, 05:43 PM
@ Grayskull.....
Could the not being able to boot at 300HTT be related to his cold boot issues?

Grayskull
08-28-2006, 06:20 PM
If the board doesn't cold boot everytime at default settings then something else is wrong.

@ Grayskull.....
Could the not being able to boot at 300HTT be related to his cold boot issues?

eXa
08-28-2006, 06:35 PM
ok, results from initial testing.

did exactely as you said, 1.time, booted and got into bios again but system froze(klock not counting or anything) 2.time, froze @ quiet mode enabled, 3.time, froze in bios again.
4.time, tried 800ht but nothing happened after save&exit. turned the power off and tried booting but nothing happend. just like before... clear cmos.

eXa
08-29-2006, 09:19 AM
some more testing.

nb 1,22
ht link 1,3 = no go

nb 1,3
ht link 1,3 = boot but frezes quickly.

nb 1,3 with smal noisy fan
ht link 1,3 = frezes but not quite so fast

nb 1,4 with the fan
ht 1,3 = as we speak!

everything is exactely as you said. exept when i got it working i entered bios again and changed time and boot priority.

Btw: HOLY SH**! :eek:
just figured out why the temp skyrocketed when i got past 1,4v. Somehow i twisted things in my brain and figured that the voltage offset was in 0.02 an so on, not 0.2. So i didnt push 1,43v but 1,7v :confused: scary...

Man i can se those asus folks sitting there... "i told you so, 1,45 max!"
(ref; all asus\asrock boards)

eXa
08-29-2006, 01:10 PM
ok a bit more results. tried changing from 8x to 9x. system booted fine and stuff but was unstable. now i have upped the voltage to 1,375 too and it semes fine for now.

Also tried 133 divider on ram (with 8x) but nothing happened after save&exit.

Edit: no wait... wasnt stable. lowered the ht to 800. will se if its stable now!

Edit2:800 semed to do the trick. now ill have to se if i can lower the NB voltage to 1,3 again and remove the fan....

Edit3: lowered the voltage to 1,3 and removed the fan. stable for now. will report back if something happends.

markr
08-29-2006, 03:21 PM
Can you cold boot now with a CMOS clear?

eXa
08-29-2006, 03:24 PM
without, Yes. cold boot\warm boot. seemes to boot everytime.
Everytime i have changed something now i have turned the computer off instead
of using restart and it boots!

edit: im guessing its memory related, only using 100divider now. 133 didnt seemed to work the one time i tested. but i havent tested much ram things yet.

eXa
08-29-2006, 04:36 PM
just to sum it up.

optimal defaults
Fid 9x
Vid 1,375
Htt 300
Memclock 100
Ram v 2.7 (just to be shure)
HT = 800\16\optimal\optimal\high speed
NB 1,3v no fan
HT link 1,3v

that is what im running right now. will stay so to tomorrow night if it aint something you want me to try first....

eXa
08-30-2006, 06:19 PM
tried to get 133divider to work, but i cant.
no matter what i did nothing happened after save&exit.

Also tried doing what greyskull said only i also changed max async latency to 9 and read preample to 7 but nothing happened then too!

Need help to move on!

Marlowe
08-31-2006, 07:13 AM
Tried with one dimm or different ram?

eXa
08-31-2006, 09:02 AM
no havent touched the ram yet...

Grayskull
08-31-2006, 06:08 PM
Sounds like the memory is giving problems now...time to tune it. I would first not touch the DDR Memory Drive Strength settings (Level 0-15) at first. First find the best DDR data drive strength setting (% reduced). Then start playing with the DDR Drive Strengths. I would suggest reducing the strengths to begin with one step at a time and go from there. Memtest can be used to get things going.

Please report back what settings you are using now that is stable (using the 100 MHz memory divider for now).

no havent touched the ram yet...

Grayskull
08-31-2006, 06:10 PM
Use the ATI system manager...it is your friend and will tell what voltages you are running at...in case your brain has a lapse or you can't add. :) I use it all the time. :D

some more testing.

nb 1,22
ht link 1,3 = no go

nb 1,3
ht link 1,3 = boot but frezes quickly.

nb 1,3 with smal noisy fan
ht link 1,3 = frezes but not quite so fast

nb 1,4 with the fan
ht 1,3 = as we speak!

everything is exactely as you said. exept when i got it working i entered bios again and changed time and boot priority.

Btw: HOLY SH**! :eek:
just figured out why the temp skyrocketed when i got past 1,4v. Somehow i twisted things in my brain and figured that the voltage offset was in 0.02 an so on, not 0.2. So i didnt push 1,43v but 1,7v :confused: scary...

Man i can se those asus folks sitting there... "i told you so, 1,45 max!"
(ref; all asus\asrock boards)

eXa
08-31-2006, 10:01 PM
ok. will report back in next week probably since ill be gone over the weekend.

learners permit
09-01-2006, 10:35 PM
Grayskull could you give a brief description of P/Nmos drive strengths and how it relates to O/Cing please?

Grayskull
09-02-2006, 07:21 PM
The P/N MOS drive strengths control the overall drive strength of the CPU's Memory I/Os. This will only affect memory overclocking and nothing else. The earlier Rev CG and Rev D CPUs didn't have much control of memory I/O drive strength. The Rev E CPUs had some control over data drive strength (listed in CMOS as a percentage reduction in drive strength). The Manta board offers the ability to change the total drive strength of all memory I/Os using the P and N mos settings for ALL CPUs. It also allows independent control of P and N mos allowing the possibility of asymmetric drive strengths. The Manta reference board is the only motherboard of it's kind with such sophisticated drive strength controls. No other board has it. The benefit?? You can always hit the optimal drive strengths for whatever CPU you have. Other boards allow finite control in steps. These steps are fixed and usually "tuned" to a specific CPU and memory type. Now you know what people mean when they say boards are "tuned" for specific memories. ;) On Manta, all possible drive strength settings are possible so you can always pick the absolute best for your parts (CPU + RAM). The problem with boards that are "tuned" for specific parts is that another newer CPU always comes out and the memory drive strength is different than the previous ones. Even worse, CPU's will vary across their production lifecycles and the same settings that work on one person's board don't work best for another with the same CPU type. So we found that the best way to address the problem is to allow the user to select all settings, therefore he/she can always pick the best ones...assuming he/she spends the time to do it and knows what they're doing.

Grayskull could you give a brief description of P/Nmos drive strengths and how it relates to O/Cing please?

markr
09-02-2006, 08:48 PM
Where can we learn how to get the most out of this setting since this is the only board that has it? Any references for certain CPU's and/or memory combinations that you are aware of? :)

learners permit
09-03-2006, 03:39 AM
Thank you very much. I was thinking along those lines but it's very nice to have the confirmation. My Opty and this TCCD seem to prefer 6 where it's clocked now but further experimentation may reveal something different. Thanks again for the prompt response. It sure is nice having you in the forums. Anyone seen the nvidia rep?:p:

xs64
09-03-2006, 05:03 AM
anyone who tried othes P/N mos exclusive 6 and 7 ?

Grayskull
09-03-2006, 07:18 PM
For high speed E die CPUs, like FXs and good Opterons, try something asymmetric with P drive being higher than N drive. On one FX CPU that I can remember Pmos = 4 and Nmos = 1 gave the highest clocks. With a set of OCZ PC4800s Plats (TCCD) it would do 300 FSB 1:1 at 2.5-3-3-7 prime stable. Different CPU / memory combos will need different settings but for the most part with TCCD, you should be using something less than the default value of 6.

Thank you very much. I was thinking along those lines but it's very nice to have the confirmation. My Opty and this TCCD seem to prefer 6 where it's clocked now but further experimentation may reveal something different. Thanks again for the prompt response. It sure is nice having you in the forums. Anyone seen the nvidia rep?:p:

Grayskull
09-03-2006, 07:42 PM
The best way to do it is to try it out yourself. Sorry no references that I know of. You guys can start your own reference thread. :) The quickest way to skip through all the options and get a rough idea of what is best is to run the ATI System Manager while running windows memtest. Boot up at settings that you know are safe and run windows memtest. Then slowly increase the htt clock until you are on the verge of errors in memtest, then change the Pmos /Nmos strengths to see if the errors go away. You can very quickly tell what is better and what is worse. You can do all this with the ASM. You have to do things slowly and in steps. Trying to raise the htt too fast or change the drive strengths too much will only lead to a hard hang.

Where can we learn how to get the most out of this setting since this is the only board that has it? Any references for certain CPU's and/or memory combinations that you are aware of? :)

Changis
09-10-2006, 01:04 PM
I have tried various settings from this post (particularly from xs64 and eXa who has the same cpu as me)
but I Can't get the board to post with fsb over 240/245/250 (varies)
My "old" Asus A8R-MVP did a rock solid 291fsb (fx60 speeds) so I know the components can handle it.

This board is amazing in both looks and how many settings you can play with, only downpart is, I'm running my opteron 165 @ stock since it won't boot at all when I reach aprox. 240/250 fsb..

Can anyone help me (this board is making me feel inexperienced :P lol as apposed to my "old" A8R-MVP wich I just raised Fsb and presto, Fx60 speeds :P

I also made a Bios-reset switch (3 pins, 1-2 connected until i press the button wich disconnect 1-2 and connect 2-3 until I release it again)
Bios resetting has never been this easy ;) (out-of-case-bios-reset)

My computer setup follows below.

My computer specs:
A9RD580,
Mist 600W 4x 12v@20A
2 x 512mb kingston hyperX 3500 ddr433
Opteron 165 CCBBE
2 x X1900GT (club3d/sapphire) in crossfire
3 x hdd in Sata
Sharkoon Card Reader
Nec 3551 DVD/RW

System Cooled by:
Corsair Nautilus 500 Watercooling -> CPU
Spirit II chipset cooler on the RD580
and various fans to get airflow in and out through the case (front + side blows into case and a akasa pci slot cooler pulling the hot air out of the case.

markr
09-10-2006, 03:36 PM

Can anyone help me (this board is making me feel inexperienced :P lol as apposed to my "old" A8R-MVP wich I just raised Fsb and presto, Fx60 speeds :P

My computer setup follows below.

My computer specs:
A9RD580,
Mist 600W 4x 12v@20A
2 x 512mb kingston hyperX 3500 ddr433
Opteron 165 CCBBE
2 x X1900GT (club3d/sapphire) in crossfire
3 x hdd in Sata
Sharkoon Card Reader
Nec 3551 DVD/RW

Which bios are you using?

Changis
09-10-2006, 05:38 PM
the newest (april)

markr
09-10-2006, 06:22 PM
the newest (april)

I strongly suggest this one. NOTE it is a reference bios and not supported by Sapphire. However it works unlike any released by Sapphire.

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/a.leach80/bios%20files/manta/manta15AMI.zip

You will need to use F32A to flash it. "F32A biosfile /b"

In bios at the Advanced tab, under Hyper Transport Config:

These settings are needed for high HTT

Revv23
09-10-2006, 09:05 PM
I have tried all drive strenths with the bios 14, and it makes a huge difference, unfortunatly i couldn't beat my ultra-d clocks with that bios, though im sure this terrific board has more in it. I've actually got about 6 pages in one of my notebooks with every strength tested on my classic bh-5... to bad i couldnt get it over 230 (235 limit ultra-d. my other corsair bh-6 runs at 260 in this, about 4 mhz higher in ultra-d, that is on bios 14, everything im told is 15 is much better.) I think i would have done much better with my new bh-5 or the infineon, the new b-5 looked promising but the infineon i never got stable over 230 (260 stable in other boards.)

Too bad i cant get bios 15 then i could test all settings on infineon 2x1gb and any winbond memory around. Not complaining though, this is still my favorite 939 board for benching, clocks video like no other...

I cant wait for RD600 ive already got cpu and ram here. ATI chipsets rock.

Changis
09-11-2006, 06:03 AM
Thanks markr. I'll try that bios! but I have no floppy at the present.. so I'll have to borrow one.. btw, it Will work? or can I risk Kiling my board? can I flash it back after if the bios doesnt work?

markr
09-11-2006, 07:11 AM
Thanks markr. I'll try that bios! but I have no floppy at the present.. so I'll have to borrow one.. btw, it Will work? or can I risk Kiling my board? can I flash it back after if the bios doesnt work?

You can flash back to the Sapphire bios. You will need to use F32A to do the flash. You can flash with usb stick if too you have one. You can't kill your board but as with any bios flash you run the risk of corrupting your bios chip.

eXa
09-11-2006, 09:37 AM

Norwegian?

Changis
09-11-2006, 01:54 PM
si si, I live in Pole-Regret ;)

eXa
09-11-2006, 03:12 PM
hæ?

you live where?

Edit: Doh, ive lived there one year...

Changis
09-11-2006, 05:31 PM
pole-regret = stav-anger ;)

Changis
09-12-2006, 05:45 PM
sorry for the wait (if anybody did) but here's an update:

flashed the AMI bios, and it would finally boot all the way up to 291fsb with theese settings:

"In bios at the Advanced tab, under Hyper Transport Config:

These settings are needed for high HTT"

everything else left @ auto. (except for some troubleshooting)

but @ 291fsb windows would bsod and restart before getting to welcome screen and the bios would lock up after changing random settings (like clock/date, 1 / 2 T, disable floppy etc) so now I'm running nicely @ 268fsb (2400) so is the motherboard getting hot? I have a spirit II chipset cooler on the NB, but there's only the slacky heatsink on the SB..

Any Ideas?

markr
09-12-2006, 06:17 PM
sorry for the wait (if anybody did) but here's an update:

flashed the AMI bios, and it would finally boot all the way up to 291fsb with theese settings:

"In bios at the Advanced tab, under Hyper Transport Config:

These settings are needed for high HTT"

everything else left @ auto. (except for some troubleshooting)

but @ 291fsb windows would bsod and restart before getting to welcome screen and the bios would lock up after changing random settings (like clock/date, 1 / 2 T, disable floppy etc) so now I'm running nicely @ 268fsb (2400) so is the motherboard getting hot? I have a spirit II chipset cooler on the NB, but there's only the slacky heatsink on the SB..

Any Ideas?

Did you FORCE the proper ram divider? Also lower HT multiplier to 4x just to be sure.

Changis
09-12-2006, 06:58 PM
yes forgot to mention, I also tried (and are currently running @) forced 133/266ddr and 600mhz ht but other than that all those ram settings seem way to confusing. not like fsb clocking wich is just raising/lowering.

so if anyone have som timimngs I can use (please describe what the numbers are, instead of the "techy" 2.5-7-8-5 or whatever)

Cpu: opt. 165 CCBBE
ram: Kingston HyperX 3500 433ddr
thanks for excellent help so far ;)

markr
09-12-2006, 07:01 PM
Can you post a A64info shot?

Changis
09-12-2006, 07:21 PM
here it is,
http://img209.imageshack.us/img209/3391/cpuinfofi8.jpg
btw. whats up with the 4 degree temp diff. between the cores?:confused: :(

here are som ram info taken from kingston:
KHX3500AK2/1G 1GB 434MHz DDR Non-ECC CL2.5
(Kit of 2 - 512MB) 2.5-3-3-7-1 2.6V

DATASHEET

KHX3500AK2/1G
1GB (512MB 64M x 64-Bit x 2 pcs.)
PC3500 CL2.5 184-Pin DIMM Kit
Kingston's KHX3500AK2/1G is a kit of two 64M x 64-bit (512MB) DDR434 CL2.5 SDRAM
(Synchronous DRAM) memory modules. Total kit capacity is 1GB. The components on each module
include sixteen 32M x 8-bit (8M x 8-bit x 4 Bank / 217MHz, 4.6ns) DDR434 SDRAM in TSOP
packages. Each 184-pin DIMM uses gold contact fingers and requires +2.6V. The electrical and
mechanical specifications are as follows:
FEATURES:
Power supply : Vdd: 2.6V ± 0.2V, Vddq: 2.6V ± 0.2V
Double-data-rate architecture; two data transfers per clock cycle
Bidirectional data strobe(DQS)
Differential clock inputs(CK and CK)
DLL aligns DQ and DQS transition with CK transition
Programmable Read latency 2.5 (clock)
Programmable Burst length (2, 4, 8)
Programmable Burst type (sequential & interleave)
Timing Reference: 2.5-3-3-7-1 at +2.6V
Edge aligned data output, center aligned data input
Auto & Self refresh, 7.8us refresh interval(8K/64ms refresh)
Serial presence detect with EEPROM
High Performance Heat Spreader
PCB : Height 1.200” (30.48mm), double sided component
PERFORMANCE:
Clock Cycle Time (tCK) 4.6ns (min.) / 10ns (max.)
Row Cycle Time (tRC) 55ns (min.)
Refresh Row Cycle Time (tRFC) 70ns (min.)
Row Active Time (tRAS) 40ns (min.) / 100,000ns (max.)
Power (IDD0) 3.500 W (operating)
UL Rating 94 V - 0
Operating Temperature 0o C to 70o C
Storage Temperature -55o C to +150o C

If the Image Disappears Again, PM me and I will send it on request.

(btw, I tried upping it back up to 291fsb, wont boot properly, down to 286/285fsb, boots, but occasional bluescreen.:confused:
Now running at 277fsb (everything else is as the image shows, only +10 fsb) and no issues yet...

anybody with some overclocking knowledge (seems I have less than I thought :P) please post Ram-Timings I can try. I'll be happy to dig up more info on my hardware if requiered.

markr
09-14-2006, 08:17 AM
Hey, there is the pic. :)

Try changing that top row to your rams specs of 2.5 3 3 7 and then change comand rate to 1. Do this with A64info and then use ATISystemManager to change mem volts to 2.6v. Then you should be able to use ATISystemManager to increase HTT. I am sure there is more ram settings that need changing, but this is a start. If this allows higher clocks with stability you can then change them in the bios.

Changis
09-14-2006, 09:31 AM
Thanx for the reply. (uploaded img. here first, gone after a few hours, now uploaded to imageshack)
Well, I'll prob. do it all in the bios (don't like software overcloking, bad experiences)
Will test this out later tonight, (but for now, it's movie time ;) )
*all overclok and no play makes changis a dull boy* ;)

Changis
09-19-2006, 08:16 PM
A little update: Tried to play around with timings, only having to reset bios :S then I thought "maybe this board just needs a little guidance"
so I changed the following settings:
ddr limit @ 100mhz (might try upping it to 133, but will it give that much more of an increase?)
Async lat. to 9ns
Cmd 2T
2.7V to ram
nb & htt @ 1.30V
rest is on auto
This is my result:
http://www.diskusjon.no/uploads/post-96648-1158674945.jpg

Happy with that ;) temps are 30-35 idle and 35-40 (tipping towards45 after long stress tests) all temps are in celcius.

markr
09-19-2006, 10:01 PM
Now you are getting somewhere.......:D

Yes, try 2.5-3-3-7 and the 133Mhz divider.

eXa
09-20-2006, 09:24 AM
and 1t!

Changis
09-24-2006, 01:56 PM
Okay, this is my official :cheer:I LOVE THE SAPPHIRE A9RD580 MOTHERBOARD:cheer: Post:

Tried 133mhz, no go.. hmm so much for increased ram speed...
Not being too happy about that.:cussing:
Then, since I had to reset BIOS again I thought I should try to get more out of my CPU so I pushed the FSB up to 325!! and changed Command rate to 1T running smoothly ;):woot:

Proof: CPU-Z INFO (http://valid.x86-secret.com/show_oc?id=124412)

http://www.snapdrive.net/public/9338/165%40overfx62OC.JPG

1125mhz OC an aprox 162.5% OC :worship:

and still the CPU seems to be saying "this all you got, ya p*ssy?" :P

Changis
09-24-2006, 02:04 PM
For those wandering My Bios Settings:

These are all the changes I made in the Bios:
MPS to 1.4
Nb/HT link Voltage to 1.30
FSB upped in stages: 200-250-300-315-325 (but you can probably jump directly from 300 to 325)
HTT Settings: 600mhz-16bit-optimal-optimal-High Speed
Ram settings:
Limit @ 100mhz
Read preamble 6.0
asyc latency 9.0
Command rate 1T
the rest of this list is continued down from CMD rate, and have not been changed
From Queue Bypass Count:
8 (q.b.c.)
enabled
16clk
not reduced
disabled
normal drive
disabled
enabled
disabled
Level 6
Level 6
Disabled

All the rest of the settings are left untouched
(gonna restart and set my clock and date anew now ;) )

(this is with the leaked AMI Manta bios)

Changis
09-24-2006, 06:02 PM
330 and 335give bsod and restarts, 327 seems to be the magic number.
but I'm happy with 60+%/1100+mhz Oc :D

Revv23
09-24-2006, 06:09 PM
hey changis, this board should have alot more then 325 in it, what is your nb voltage?

markr
09-24-2006, 06:31 PM
Is that at stock cpu volts? Up it......Up it:D

Changis
09-24-2006, 11:09 PM
nb Voltage 1.30
Cpu volt 1.350V (stock) (1.375V didnt help, and 1.4 is max V)

Then again i'm not to sure the CPU has more in it, it's running cool, (not over 50(c) load) but doesnt like itself @ just 1-3fsb (*9) higher than current speeds. (bsod)

markr
09-25-2006, 06:59 AM
nb Voltage 1.30
Cpu volt 1.350V (stock) (1.375V didnt help, and 1.4 is max V)

Then again i'm not to sure the CPU has more in it, it's running cool, (not over 50(c) load) but doesnt like itself @ just 1-3fsb (*9) higher than current speeds. (bsod)

You can go higher on the CPU with the offset.

eXa
09-25-2006, 11:39 AM
jup, you can go daam high, belive me!:p:

Changis
09-27-2006, 12:54 PM
I already think I'm Daamn High with this CPU :P
Upped the offset to +0.6v and have now passed the magic 3ghz barrier. (not bad for a stock 1800mhz ;) , so glad I didn't Go for the X2 4200+ when I was deciding on CPU's :P (running 200mhz over stock FX62 for 350-400 bucks ;) )

But When it comes to temerature measurement, I rely on ATi system manager combined with A64info.. Bios shows -1 to 0 on the CPU, ATi S.M. shows 30-35 (c) and A64info shows 35-40.. Guessing the gap is because of Unofficial Bios, but wich one can I rely on? (as default, I always rely on the Highest Values..)

EXA: you have the same CPU and stepping (CCBBE) how high can you get? or are you limited by Air heatsink?

anyway, This Board ROCKS!! :D

CPU-Z 3ghz Proof (http://valid.x86-secret.com/show_oc?id=125237) 3009 mhz

flashnc
09-27-2006, 02:53 PM
that is one sweet overclock changis....congrats

markr
09-27-2006, 05:53 PM
Very nice OC. Now you just need to figure out whats up with your ram settings. Your missing out on some more free speed.:)

Changis
09-28-2006, 11:21 AM
what free speed? upping the mhz to 166? (133 doesnt work, 150 not available)
is there much to be gained? or will it just take 0.002seconds less starting windows?

flashnc
09-28-2006, 01:26 PM
your already there...be happy, be satisfied...there are too many wishing they had gotten as far as you have....any more wont be worth anything even remotelyworth the struggle..yes ther may be a 0.002 or there abouts left in it....but to what end????if your benching for the absolute max possible then try more....

Changis
09-28-2006, 02:03 PM
yes, thank you, thats my point also, how can you not be satisfied with a 1200mhz overclock or almost 70% :D
well ofcourse, after a little uptime @ 3ghz, I'll try to push it some more :D

btw: check out my "glow in the dark" case, GLOW:
http://www.techpowerup.com/gallery/420

(cables will be managed)

markr
09-28-2006, 02:05 PM
what free speed? upping the mhz to 166? (133 doesnt work, 150 not available)
is there much to be gained? or will it just take 0.002seconds less starting windows?

Run sysoft sandra and see what your bandwidth is. Your ram should run at least the speed it is spec'd at. You don't need to up your cpu anymore but your ram is supposed to do what like 217mhz? Just for comparison my bandwidth is around 7000. I would guess with your ram uderclocked yours will be significantly less. 133 should work just fine you will need to get the right timings and voltage. This is where A64info becomes your friend until you find the right settings. Then you can set them in bios once you know what they are. The 133 divider will put your ram at 215Mhz, that is right at spec.

Changis
09-28-2006, 02:41 PM
Benchmark Results
RAM Bandwidth Int Buff'd iSSE2 : 4285 MB/s
RAM Bandwidth Float Buff'd iSSE2 : 4319 MB/s
Results Interpretation : Higher index values are better.

Int Buff'd iSSE2 (Integer STREAM) Results Breakdown
Assignment : 4301MB/s
Scaling : 4314MB/s
Addition : 4252MB/s
Triad : 4274MB/s
Data Item Size : 16 byte(s)
Buffering Used : Yes
Offset Displacement Used : Yes
Bandwidth Efficiency : 82% (estimated)

Float Buff'd iSSE2 (Float STREAM) Results Breakdown
Assignment : 4339MB/s
Scaling : 4362MB/s
Addition : 4286MB/s
Triad : 4289MB/s
Data Item Size : 16 byte(s)
Buffering Used : Yes
Offset Displacement Used : Yes
Bandwidth Efficiency : 82% (estimated)

Performance Test Status
Run ID : GLOW on 30. september 2006 at 00:36:39
Memory Used by Test : 512MB
NUMA Support : No
SMP Test : No
Total Test Threads : 2
Multi-Core Test : Yes
SMT Test : No
Dynamic MP/MT Load Balance : No
Processor Affinity : P0C0T0 P0C1T0
System Timer : 3.6MHz
Page Size : 4kB
Use Large Memory Pages : No

Features
(W)MMX Technology : Yes
SSE Technology : Yes
SSE2 Technology : Yes
SSE3 Technology : Yes
SSE4 Technology : No
EMMX - Extended MMX Technology : Yes
3DNow! Technology : Yes
Extended 3DNow! Technology : Yes
HTT - Hyper-Threading Technology : No

Chipset 1
Model : ATI Technologies Inc ??? (5952)
Front Side Bus Speed : 2x 1320MHz (2640MHz data rate)
In/Out Width : 16-bit / 16-bit
Maximum Bus Bandwidth : 10560MB/s (estimated)

Logical/Chipset 1 Memory Banks
Channels : 1
Width : 32-bit
Memory Controller in Processor : Yes

Chipset 2
Model : Advanced Micro Devices (AMD) Athlon 64 / Opteron HyperTransport Technology Configuration
Front Side Bus Speed : 2x 990MHz (1980MHz data rate)
In/Out Width : 16-bit / 16-bit
Maximum Bus Bandwidth : 7920MB/s (estimated)

Logical/Chipset 2 Memory Banks
Bank 2 : 512MB DDR-SDRAM 2.0-2-2-5 (tCL-tRCD-tRP-tRAS) CR1
Bank 3 : 512MB DDR-SDRAM 2.0-2-2-5 (tCL-tRCD-tRP-tRAS) CR1
Channels : 1
Bank Interleave : 2-way
Speed : 2x 164MHz (328MHz data rate)
Width : 128-bit
Memory Controller in Processor : Yes
Cores per Memory Controller : 2 Unit(s)
Maximum Memory Bus Bandwidth : 5248MB/s (estimated)

markr
09-28-2006, 02:50 PM
Make sure you set your ram votage manually in bios to the required setting.

Then use A64info to change the top row to 2.5 3 3 7.
Change DRAM Data Drive Strength to 50% reduced.
32 Byte Granularity to 4 beats.
now hit set.

After that change if you are still up and running change your tref to a 133 compliant setting (1032 or 2064)and your divider to 133 and hit set.

If this works try your bandwidth test again and compare results.

This will also get you a <30sec superpi.

Changis
09-28-2006, 03:27 PM
Well, I'm already pretty close :P
http://img201.imageshack.us/img201/8194/supapailargehw3.jpg

markr
10-06-2006, 05:19 PM
The best way to do it is to try it out yourself. Sorry no references that I know of. You guys can start your own reference thread. :) The quickest way to skip through all the options and get a rough idea of what is best is to run the ATI System Manager while running windows memtest. Boot up at settings that you know are safe and run windows memtest. Then slowly increase the htt clock until you are on the verge of errors in memtest, then change the Pmos /Nmos strengths to see if the errors go away. You can very quickly tell what is better and what is worse. You can do all this with the ASM. You have to do things slowly and in steps. Trying to raise the htt too fast or change the drive strengths too much will only lead to a hard hang.

So far I have found P/6 and N/4 to allow me to tighten my timings back to where they were at 1:1. Previously I had to loosen MAL and others when on a divider. Has any one else played with these yet?

eXa
10-07-2006, 01:55 PM
what\how do you test ram stability?

markr
10-07-2006, 04:14 PM
what\how do you test ram stability?

I have been using Prime95, Torture test with Large FFT's.

eXa
10-07-2006, 04:37 PM
ok thats all? how long. ive tested a few hours earlier when i was trying to tweak my machine. (man i should start again so i can use this cpu as intended) seemed stable but occasionally i got bsod and stuff....

markr
10-07-2006, 05:00 PM
ok thats all? how long. ive tested a few hours earlier when i was trying to tweak my machine. (man i should start again so i can use this cpu as intended) seemed stable but occasionally i got bsod and stuff....

So far with this board I have not had a failure beyond 1 hour 10 min. In other words if it makes it that far it just keeps going. When I tweak my ram to something unstable I usually get a failure in just a few minutes. When I think I have it stable I usually let it go overnight for say 8 to 10 hours to be sure. When trying different settings you can use SuperPI 8M to get a preliminary idea as to if you are close or not. If you can't pass 8m then there is no need to dual prime yet.