PDA

View Full Version : hub vs. switch

himura-dono
06-10-2002, 11:03 PM
ok, i know with hubs you share bandwidth, and with switches you don't. my question tho is this. if i were to take a switch and try and hold a lan without having dsl already, would that work?

i know, i'm a networking ingrate...

JBELL
06-10-2002, 11:18 PM
Hubs are easier to spoof the ISP in letting all rigs have 'net access
a switch - like in my case is harder if not impossible to do.... becuase it holds the MAC address of every rig on the switch....

switch = smart hub w/ routing table built in

DaGooch
06-10-2002, 11:29 PM
If the switch is a dsl router/switch, there should be a user interface where you can "spoof" all the mac addresses so that your ISP thinks there is only 1 network card attached to the dsl modem.

himura-dono
06-11-2002, 12:04 AM
yeah, i was lookin at ur switches jbell, i wanted to make sure before going for it. hmm, damn. if i can be told of the way to fool either of jbell's switches, i'd be glad to get the linksys one.

can someone tell me in detail how to make it think there's one address, pease ^_^?

JBELL
06-11-2002, 12:58 AM
there is a way with using ICS through windows... but i never figured it out...

ICS = Internet Connection Sharing

Smizack
06-11-2002, 07:54 PM
Originally posted by DaGoochMeister
If the switch is a dsl router/switch, there should be a user interface where you can "spoof" all the mac addresses so that your ISP thinks there is only 1 network card attached to the dsl modem.

Yeah, very simple. Even with Cisco. It's like making your ISP think your on a router rather than a hub. And it can be dynamic of course.

Dramen
06-12-2002, 07:39 AM
router/switch: set for dhcp
rigs: assign your own static IP #
cable co. assigns just 1 dynamic IP to router, all rigs can access net.

MrBill
06-12-2002, 09:26 PM
I have a SMC router with built-in 4 port switch. I use DHCP on the WAN and LAN. The WAN side of the router get's it's IP address from my ISP and the LAN side of the router is a DHCP server and assigns IP addresses to each machine.

I also have a hub attached to a switch port on the router. Total of 9 PC's accessing the internet through one IP address from my ISP.

Dramen
06-13-2002, 09:17 AM
Hey MrBill good to see you and glad you joined up!! :D

MrBill
06-13-2002, 10:58 AM
Originally posted by Dramen
Hey MrBill good to see you and glad you joined up!! :D Thanks Dramen. Good to see you too my friend. :)

ThePunkerGuy
07-23-2002, 12:01 PM
All i know is that i have the Alcatel Speed Touch Home modem hacked to a Speed Touch pro so it acts as a router to.. that is hooked into a switch and then i have like 8 comps into the switch and they all have dsl access all the time
- Mike

sjohnson
07-23-2002, 12:31 PM
If the specs for the switch/router read NAT (Network Address Translation) the booger has the capability to translate the assigned WAN IP to the LAN IP's behind it. Enable NAT and the ISP sees only one IP - the WAN IP.

Smizack
07-23-2002, 06:27 PM
Originally posted by JBELL
Hubs are easier to spoof the ISP in letting all rigs have 'net access
a switch - like in my case is harder if not impossible to do.... becuase it holds the MAC address of every rig on the switch....

switch = smart hub w/ routing table built in

It can still be done through software, but that's getting a little too close to bad things, so I'm not linking anything.