PDA

View Full Version : Peformance Part Advice for 318 CID

amd4me
04-19-2006, 08:56 AM
Hello , I just bought my first car (ramcharger) and it is a real dog.
I would like to get some more power out of it.
I was thinking about getting new headers and exhaust for some extra power.
As well as a new new intake.
Some advice for these parts would be great , thanks.

Crazy Chuckster
04-19-2006, 09:37 AM
Swap in a 360

amd4me
04-19-2006, 10:08 AM
Swap in a 360
I need manufacturer advice for those specific parts.

Crazy Chuckster
04-20-2006, 03:45 AM
Go here for all of your parts info http://www.summitracing.com/

amduser
04-20-2006, 04:51 AM
exhaust

as long it not a turbo engine, new exhaust won't give you performce ;) (*at least, so long you don't change or leave out the cat*).

amd4me
04-20-2006, 08:36 AM
as long it not a turbo engine, new exhaust won't give you performce ;) (*at least, so long you don't change or leave out the cat*).
who ever told you that is stupid.

amduser
04-20-2006, 09:19 AM
who ever told you that is stupid.

sure, anyway, it's that way. at least if you lock at european oder japanese cars. i actualy don't think, that us cars have that bad exhaustsystemes. it brings like 10 bhp with a care which has allready 200bhp (*and then the exhaust cost like 2500$*). thats actually nothing. with a car with less horspower it brings less ;) . don't know how much horsepower that dodge has, but it won't change much. it will online sound better, thats all.

amd4me
04-20-2006, 11:44 AM
sure, anyway, it's that way. at least if you lock at european oder japanese cars. i actualy don't think, that us cars have that bad exhaustsystemes. it brings like 10 bhp with a care which has allready 200bhp (*and then the exhaust cost like 2500$*). thats actually nothing. with a car with less horspower it brings less ;) . don't know how much horsepower that dodge has, but it won't change much. it will online sound better, thats all.
it does give you more power.
You jsut admitted that yourself.
And exhaust cost about 250 bucks , custom made.

amduser
04-20-2006, 12:24 PM
250$? ehm, that can only be rubbish. sorry, but 250$ would be less as proper material would cost. about 700$ cost good steel to build on up. for a engine without turbo or a compressor it's pretty hard to build up a exhaust which give more power (*for a turbo ist quite easy, bigger is better ;) *). for example a honda rsx or i think it's called acura rsx in usa a costum exhaust doesn't even give power. it reduces the power of it. anyway, what kind of engine is it? thought it would be some kind of 3.18l engine which has no supercharger or somethink like that. if it has some, it's a total differnet think anyway.

Soulburner
04-20-2006, 08:46 PM
I think you should stick to import cars...:slap:

fhpchris
04-20-2006, 09:11 PM
Do not worry about it, Dodge makes crappy V8s anyway :D

[ZIZI]
04-21-2006, 07:40 AM
Do not worry about it, Dodge makes crappy V8s anyway :D

Ouch, burned....

:D :D :D

AS for the exhaust, I personally felt a difference in the way my car sounded and pulled, it was almost as if the dip beyond max power (power/torque curves), was moved a bit to the right (higher rpms), and my car is a N/A engine...Audi a4 B5 for more info...

thanks
[ZIZI]

Soulburner
04-21-2006, 07:46 AM
I have yet to tune after my mods but i'd say I picked up a solid 20rwhp with my exhaust...compared to people with the same mods.

Rippthrough
04-21-2006, 11:28 AM
Ebay, pair of 'chargers.
1 weekend, 2 belts, whole lot of fun.

amd4me
04-21-2006, 05:03 PM
250$? ehm, that can only be rubbish. sorry, but 250$ would be less as proper material would cost. about 700$ cost good steel to build on up. for a engine without turbo or a compressor it's pretty hard to build up a exhaust which give more power (*for a turbo ist quite easy, bigger is better ;) *). for example a honda rsx or i think it's called acura rsx in usa a costum exhaust doesn't even give power. it reduces the power of it. anyway, what kind of engine is it? thought it would be some kind of 3.18l engine which has no supercharger or somethink like that. if it has some, it's a total differnet think anyway. Hate to break it to you man, but you have zero idea what your talking about.
It's 318 CID or 5.3l.
It's a V8 not a tuner car.
And my buddy is a master fabricator.
So it is only 250 for exhaust but I want to go name brand.

amduser
04-26-2006, 07:05 AM
I think you should stick to import cars...:slap:

then are american cars that bad?

Hate to break it to you man, but you have zero idea what your talking about.
It's 318 CID or 5.3l.
It's a V8 not a tuner car.
And my buddy is a master fabricator.
So it is only 250 for exhaust but I want to go name brand.

you no what? exhuast won't give you more performence. what gibte performce are parts like new camshaft or some stuff like that. oldschool tuning anyway and pretty expensive stuff.

Soulburner
04-26-2006, 07:17 AM
then are american cars that bad?

you no what? exhuast won't give you more performence. what gibte performce are parts like new camshaft or some stuff like that. oldschool tuning anyway and pretty expensive stuff.
I'm telling you your "advice" is nonsense. Just stop unless you know what you are talking about.

Since when does a V8 not gain anything from unrestricting the exhaust? My car came with cast manifolds, catalytic converters, and small diameter piping that was bent in a lot of bad ways under the car. From installing Longtube headers, removing the cats, pulling all the piping out of there and installing a 3" X-Pipe I picked up probably around 20rwhp as does anyone else who does a mod like this. Now I know the 318 dodge engine makes a lot less power, but there are still gains to be had from exhaust.

Longtube headers, a crossover of some kind (X or H) with 2.5" pipe would do a lot of good for performance and sound on that engine.

amduser
04-26-2006, 10:47 AM
removing the cats

thats where the more power came from ;) . the rest ist not really effectiv in a car which has no supercharger or turbo. anyway, even though you don't believe it, with a 2 zoll exhaust you would even gain more horsepower ;) , but the sound will be not that impresiv.

Soulburner
04-26-2006, 09:27 PM
thats where the more power came from ;) . the rest ist not really effectiv in a car which has no supercharger or turbo. anyway, even though you don't believe it, with a 2 zoll exhaust you would even gain more horsepower ;) , but the sound will be not that impresiv.
I'm sorry but you are wrong. If I had to break it all down it would look something like this:

Percentage of performance improvement (% of total exhaust system)

Longtube Headers - 80%
Catalytic Converters - 5%
X-Pipe / Other piping - 15%

amduser
04-28-2006, 05:46 AM
Longtube Headers - 80%
Catalytic Converters - 5%
X-Pipe / Other piping - 15%

then american cars are even more worst cast senario then i acpetected them to be. in german cars (*which i know most, cause i', german*) a new exhaused system doesn't bring that much. acutally is most effektive to replace the cat against a racing cat or to leave it away (*which ist demn expensive here, cause the taxes get way to high :mad: *). this is even in cars that way, which have 5l v12's (*ehm, sutff like bmw 850i for example*). in some japanese cars you get more power, cause they are limited by the exhaustesystem (*to big cat and stuff like that*). but that is like more the exeception then standert. but thats the think, when you have a engine without supercharger or turbo.

Soulburner
04-28-2006, 07:39 AM
I have a 5.7L V8. The larger the displacement the more its going to exhaust (in general) so freeing up an exhaust restriction helps a lot more than on a smaller motor.

Sure forced induction will definetely push more exhaust out your engine, because you are pushing a lot more air in. But that doesn't mean that NA engines don't need to breathe. The catalytic converters really aren't a very big restriction here, at least the ones of today. The problem is they tend to only last 50-100k miles depending on the car and need replacing. This gets pretty expensive and when doing an exhaust overhaul its a lot easier to leave them out of the picture, assuming your state allows it.

fhpchris
04-28-2006, 08:13 AM
The GM guy is correct, however forced induction cars are just as sensitive as N/A ones. The exhaust gas is in the chamber, the valve(s) open and it goes out as the piston goes up. The piston and crankshaft do the work to expell the exhaust, so less restriction is more power going to the wheels. Now, moving to a serious real collector and H or X pipe increases scavenging which almost "sucks" the exhaust gas out of the chamber, which makes even more power.

The LS1s even have restrictive Y-Pipes! YUCK!

347 cubes here at my end :)