PDA

View Full Version : Problems with MX-EVA3

Leo
06-10-2002, 07:10 PM
Hi guys,

Just got myself one of these units straight from S. Korea, unfortunately it seems to be DOA. When I plug in the 12v to the fans, the fans and the temp display kick in without a hitch. Problem is, no matter what I do, I can't get the actual compressor to kick in.

I'm thinking of a few possibilities. First, perhaps this unit is set for the 220v that Korea and many other countries use versus our 110? Anyone know how to positively identify if this is the case or not, and if it is, how to fix it?

Second, after popping open the unit, I've noticed that on the back of the power connector, the hot and neutral pins have yellow and black wire connected to them, but the prong that corresponds to ground has nothing.

Finally, in front of the intake fan is a capacitor tied to a plastic assembly. What's actually inside the assembly I don't know but the whole capacitor/assembly in general is very loose, although all the connections I can see seem okay.

Any ideas are appreciated guys.

P.S. I also see two large dents in the compressor itself. They seem pretty symmetrical but aren't perfectly round so I can't tell if this is normal or not, any of you guys see this with your units?

Nohto
06-10-2002, 07:14 PM
I made it. Did you start this site?

Leo
06-10-2002, 07:14 PM
Made what if you don't mind me asking? And no, I didn't make this site.

Nohto
06-10-2002, 07:17 PM
I was refering Oppainter

Kurupt
06-10-2002, 07:18 PM
I'm thinking of a few possibilities. First, perhaps this unit is set for the 220v that Korea and many other countries use versus our 110? Anyone know how to positively identify if this is the case or not, and if it is, how to fix it?

Have you tried to switch it over to 110 ?

Leo
06-10-2002, 07:24 PM
Nothing to switch in terms of voltage on the unit itself...

Kurupt
06-10-2002, 07:28 PM
I think frank from XTW knows about these units.. He should pop up on the forums at anytime and see this

OPPAINTER
06-10-2002, 08:27 PM
Leo,

I just say the pics of the dents on the compressor, they look familiar. I think its OK.

OPP

Leo
06-10-2002, 08:45 PM
Well, one less thing to worry about, all good with me.

DDTUNG
06-10-2002, 09:17 PM
I have two of these units, and one of them was DOA. It turned out to be a loose wire in the power circuit. From what you described you are getting no power to the compressor. Check visually for loose connections, then recheck with a multimeter. Make sure the AC is not plugged in when you do that.:)

It could also be the 110/220V thing. There should be some marking on the compressor itself.

My units are both packed for the move. I can only check them for you in a few days' time.

DDTUNG:cool:

Leo
06-10-2002, 09:26 PM
Visual inspection doesn't reveal anything...where would I take the readings with a multimeter to make sure the compressor is getting power?

Thanks!

Leo
06-10-2002, 09:33 PM
Compressor is rated at 115v, what a simple solution...thanks DD :cool:

I guess now begins the search for that elusive wire that's screwing with me.

Leo
06-10-2002, 09:50 PM
Alright, I think I might have found the problem. I've been following all of the wiring in the EVA3 from the relay and I've realized there's no way AC power is getting to the compressor. Now, on the front of the compressor (towards the temperature display) I see three prongs, I'm figuring this is how it gets power. In front of these three prongs is the capacitor/plastic shell assembly I mentioned in my original post. I'm figuring this whole unit somehow plugs right into the prongs on the compressor.

What do you guys think? Also, if this is the reason I'm not getting any power to the compressor, how would I go about discharging the whole unit so I can safely plug everything back together? The space is pretty tight...

Edit: A picture is worth a thousand words. I'm thinking of connecting the prongs to the capacitor assembly (if possible)

http://www.mustangmods.com/publish/BigL//prongcap.jpg

DDTUNG
06-10-2002, 09:50 PM
Another simple solution: start with each wire that is connected to the compressor and work your way out.:)

OPPAINTER
06-10-2002, 10:22 PM
Those pronges are just sticking out or what?? They look like they should be pluged in somewhare.

OPP

Leo
06-10-2002, 10:32 PM
Yes they were and bingo, we have success :).

Is it supposed to take this long to drop in temperature initially though? I'm seeing about a .1 decrease every 2-3 seconds.

OPPAINTER
06-10-2002, 10:34 PM
I bet it's freezing by now:D

OPP

DDTUNG
06-10-2002, 10:49 PM
Good stuff, Leo.

The compressor does take time to build up pressure.:)

fredperry
06-10-2002, 11:04 PM
Originally posted by DDTUNG
Good stuff, Leo.

The compressor does take time to build up pressure.:)

Got that too with my prometeia.
First time I powered it up, it started climbing to +24°C, but fortunately it cooled down to -38°C :D

PS. nice forum, with his own phase change section, I like it here allready ;)

JBELL
06-10-2002, 11:15 PM
Originally posted by fredperry

PS. nice forum, with his own phase change section, I like it here allready ;)

*blushes* ohh stop it lol

thanks man glad you like it!! and WELCOME TO OUR SICKNESS!

OPPAINTER
06-11-2002, 09:55 PM
Leo,

Hows that Eva working??

OPP

Leo
06-12-2002, 08:54 PM
Well outside of the system pretty dang good but haven't installed it yet ;p.

Though it was a tough decision, I'm choosing to study for finals for now heh. Calculus part 2/3 is tomorrow as is English Lit, then I'll have most of the weekend free to work on everything until part 3/3 of my Calculus final on Tuesday. I'll definitely have results the weekend after this, probably sooner. Graduating in exactly one week then it's summer time...:D

Did manage to get a hole cut in my case today and did a little condensation proofing. Do you recommend giving the copper core of the EVA3 a good lapping?

OPPAINTER
06-12-2002, 09:02 PM
Well study up first, I have to go to school next week to some basic algibra classes myself, Look at that can't even spell it:D

Anyway when you go to mount it let me know, be very carefull and don't follow the instructions:D

Good luck at school.

OPP

Amd Man
06-12-2002, 11:49 PM
Lucky kids and your freezer toys:rolleyes:

calantak
06-13-2002, 10:39 AM
I bet we'll be thirty or fourty, half of them from belgium, phase changers soon...

I have a prometheia standing, waiting to be deflowered, but it's half way cross the country, confiscated by my girlfriend :D
I sent an email to chipcon also to get them to send me the specific mounting kit for the abit th7-II, cuz they say the one I'm having now, can't be mounted...

Any word from you on that particular situation, JC?

mackanz
06-17-2002, 12:15 AM
Would the Eva-3 have any problem to fit the new socket and the Hammer when it comes out?
It would be a pain in the... if it dont.

Mac