PDA

View Full Version : With the 805 whats a good ram and mobo for ocing?

Super strokey
04-16-2006, 05:59 PM
I want to get one of these chips to try for a couple weeks and dont want to spend a huge amount. And as i have been out of the intel loop for a long ass time i dont know what to get.

So what i guess ill be needing is some DDR2 (no idea again what to look for) and a good mobo for it. Also is there any chance of conroe being supported by the same mobo?

I want to keep this pretty cheap if possible as i wont have it for long as i have a 2.6 ghz x2 rig as my primary and im just getting this for a while. Ill be using a big typhoon as the cooler and a 600w epsilon as the PS, vid card is a x1900

Super strokey
04-18-2006, 07:13 AM
any ideas for some good value ram and a mobo?

Deathspawner
04-18-2006, 07:46 AM
Did you want 1GB or 2GB? For value ram, I have come to really like OCZ's Gold series:
1GB PC2-667 (http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1882391&CatId=2263) - I had these overclock to DDR2-733 very stable.
2GB PC2-533 (http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1882389&CatId=1649) - I had these stable at DDR2-667 speeds.

Those are not really OC'ing modules, but shouldn't hold back a CPU overclock. No doubt there may be better overclocking ram out there for around the same price, I just don't know of it.

For a motherboard, chances are you will need a 'good' one in order to support that CPU. Many 955 or 975 boards out there only support the smaller dual cores on the more expensive models, like the P5WD2 (955) or P5WD2-E (975). If _anything_ supports Conroe when it comes out, it may be the 975, but nothings certain.

Super strokey
04-18-2006, 05:51 PM
one or 2 gigs would be fine. 2 gigs isnt needed though just one that ocs well

ArneJohansen
04-19-2006, 09:52 AM
I was wondering about this same cpu modell myself. It`s extremly cheap, and i`ve seen its no problem getting it to at least 4GHZ on water, but the problem i have i s the same as Deathspawner said. No cheap mobos support this bugger. And i have to buy myself some ddr2 sticks. Here in Norway a webshop has a good price this week on some ocz ddr 533 sticks that was mentioned by Deathspawner. So practically Intel released a very well priced cpu with potensial, but due to the lack of mobo support i`m waiting a little bit longer until i know that the mobo i`m buying does support conroe to. If some of the older mobos with ddr support had been supporting this i would have bought it instantly.

TL1000S
04-19-2006, 11:29 AM
I was wondering about this same cpu modell myself. It`s extremly cheap, and i`ve seen its no problem getting it to at least 4GHZ on water, but the problem i have i s the same as Deathspawner said. No cheap mobos support this bugger. And i have to buy myself some ddr2 sticks. Here in Norway a webshop has a good price this week on some ocz ddr 533 sticks that was mentioned by Deathspawner. So practically Intel released a very well priced cpu with potensial, but due to the lack of mobo support i`m waiting a little bit longer until i know that the mobo i`m buying does support conroe to. If some of the older mobos with ddr support had been supporting this i would have bought it instantly.

Then just do as myself.. Buy this one - P5P800 SE (http://www.komplett.no/k/ki.asp?sku=313686). It is cheap.. it uses a well established (as a performer) chipset - i865pe.. and if you (like me) have a good AGP card.. and some good DDR1-sticks it performs really good (it outperformed my earlier dual-rig.. Asus P5LD2 and 830D.. at the same clocks..the latter with DDR2@600)

[XC] hipno650
04-19-2006, 12:15 PM
my 1gb of mushkin ram runs stable at 770mhz and 4-4-4-6-6-1t @2.0v. i love my ram!!!!

ArneJohansen
04-19-2006, 01:56 PM
Then just do as myself.. Buy this one - P5P800 SE (http://www.komplett.no/k/ki.asp?sku=313686). It is cheap.. it uses a well established (as a performer) chipset - i865pe.. and if you (like me) have a good AGP card.. and some good DDR1-sticks it performs really good (it outperformed my earlier dual-rig.. Asus P5LD2 and 830D.. at the same clocks..the latter with DDR2@600)
I was thinking about that card a while ago when i went trough all of asus 775 mobos:rolleyes: looking for all cards using ddr sticks and 775. U are absolutly right that 865/875 are real good chipsets, but i was really looking for something with pcie since i have sold all of my good agp cards now.(6800gt,6600gt,x800xl). But on the other hand i would most certainly not run this as my gaming rig. I think the dothan do way better at that. But the reason was thinking about this cpu is because ddr2 is possible to use with conroe if the mobo support it later. And ddr2 is at least possible to run at upcoming mobos from both Amd and Intel. Aopens yonah 975 is also tempting. But as iĆ:banana:m a poor hard working student i must prioritate.:nono: Or else my girlfriend would :slapass:

TL1000S
04-19-2006, 02:59 PM
<snip> But the reason was thinking about this cpu is because ddr2 is possible to use with conroe if the mobo support it later. And ddr2 is at least possible to run at upcoming mobos from both Amd and Intel. Aopens yonah 975 is also tempting. But as iĆ:banana:m a poor hard working student i must prioritate.:nono: Or else my girlfriend would :slapass:

Good points Arne.. :)
Unfortunately I doubt it is possible to buy a S775-board now hoping for (later) compatibilty with Conroe.. (But if ie. Asus has some tricks to make this work.. I would guess that would be one of the current "high-end" boards).
"Poor hard working student".. and overpriced Aopen 975.. that sounds like a normal combo. :) (I'm not very poor ..nor student.. and I'm reluctant to pay over NOK 2k for a S479-board... I may consider that for a "Conore-board" though).
On topic:
I'm pretty pleased with my 805D/P5P800SE combo.. although I do not reach 4Ggz.. May be the MIST watercooling kit.. and a MIST 500w I just ordered will make that possible (but the board has a *terrible* VDrop during load.. over 0.1VCore.) We will see... currently my TT Big Thypoon has no chance in hell to keep CPU at full load dual core under 60 degrees Celsius(Bios), and that's with the side-door off.. and 1.375 VCore in Bios!(which drops to 1.25/1.26 during dual prime). This cheap dual core is one "hot customer" :slapass:

ArneJohansen
04-20-2006, 12:37 PM
Good points Arne.. :)
Unfortunately I doubt it is possible to buy a S775-board now hoping for (later) compatibilty with Conroe.. (But if ie. Asus has some tricks to make this work.. I would guess that would be one of the current "high-end" boards).
"Poor hard working student".. and overpriced Aopen 975.. that sounds like a normal combo. :) (I'm not very poor ..nor student.. and I'm reluctant to pay over NOK 2k for a S479-board... I may consider that for a "Conore-board" though).
On topic:
I'm pretty pleased with my 805D/P5P800SE combo.. although I do not reach 4Ggz.. May be the MIST watercooling kit.. and a MIST 500w I just ordered will make that possible (but the board has a *terrible* VDrop during load.. over 0.1VCore.) We will see... currently my TT Big Thypoon has no chance in hell to keep CPU at full load dual core under 60 degrees Celsius(Bios), and that's with the side-door off.. and 1.375 VCore in Bios!(which drops to 1.25/1.26 during dual prime). This cheap dual core is one "hot customer" :slapass:
This board would have been perfect: http://www.asrock.com/product/775Twins-HDTV.htm , but it lacks volt regulation some guy i talked to said that owns it. This board are also promising: http://www.asus.com/products.aspx?l1=3&l2=11&l3=179&model=770&modelmenu=1 (ddr) and u got also the same with ddr2 support. But i havent been informed if they clock well. But it`s a very cheap rigg if it works and reach 4ghz. I have a spare asetek waterchill set :)