PDA

View Full Version : Where the hell are good laptop Graphics?

mr_knowitall15
04-16-2006, 05:41 PM
Like it says, ive been considering a laptop, mainly for school purposes, but i want to be able to game on it too. I would like it to be a desktop replacement. I was looking at Dells *shudder* a while back and they HAD offered 7800Go GFX, and now the best i can find is 7400, or by searching newegg, X1600. Could somebody maybe provide some links to good laptops? So far the best ive been able to find is an Acer, with a 2 Ghz Yonah, 2 Gigs of ddr2, 120HDD, and a 256MB X1600, on a 15.4" screen. What id LOVE is a core duo, 2 gigs of ram preferred (if its an expensive upgrade, :banana::banana::banana::banana:it, ill do it myself with ram ill buy elsewhere), 120+ HDD, and at LEAST midrang like X1600 or 7600 graphics. Oh and 17" screen.

afireinside
04-16-2006, 06:05 PM
http://configure.us.dell.com/dellstore/config.aspx?c=us&cs=19&l=en&oc=iMX170S4&s=dhs

Everything but the core duo... :(

vapb400
04-16-2006, 06:19 PM
http://www.toshibadirect.com/td/b2c/cmod.to?seg=HHO&coid=-30597

Far right.

7900GS w/ 1.83 Yonah

mr_knowitall15
04-16-2006, 08:26 PM
omg i looked thru most of toshiba too... The satelite seemed to have intel 950 integrated *throws up* and the Quosmios werent anything special, especially for the price.
EDIT: OMFG THANKS that toshiba you linked me looks fantatsic!!!!
*looks over at ol' blue, and considers selling it to a friend...*
Edit again: I cant find it to actually buy... Their site says circuit city, best buy, compusa, staples, walmart, and office depot for how to get this laptop... none of their sites have it. Gonna check E-Tailors now.....
LAST EDIT: Sweet found it for <$1900 shipped from someplace called datavision.com. Found this via Pricegrabber, 3.5 star rating, with 871 reviews. Sounds good seeing as how on the same page, CDWs merchant rating is 1.5, and theyre a "featured merchant"

[XC] MarioMaster
04-16-2006, 08:29 PM
my friend got a Sager notebook - they sell a lot of high performance laptops for pretty good prices, he got a 7800gtx in his laptop when they were still $500

mr_knowitall15
04-16-2006, 09:12 PM
Thanks for that info, looking at their site now. GOOD JESUS thay have an SLI notebook w/19" screen :O 3200 bucks. Lol i bet it would run for like 10 minutes on its battery.

mr_knowitall15
04-16-2006, 09:15 PM
well, looks like im aiming for that toshiba. thanks vapb.
mariomaster, those are sweet, but no core duo, and prices are a little too high for a college student lol. neat place though thanks everyone.
now how to get some money...
Idea 1)stop drinking-not gonna happen
2)sell :banana::banana::banana::banana: on ebay
3)sell drugs-id have to buy a gun... guess you gotta spend money to make money
4)rob somewhere- course, i dont wanna risk ass raping in jail....

cirthix
04-16-2006, 10:34 PM
you can put the 7800gtx in the i9400/e1705

DriveEuro
04-17-2006, 10:09 AM
you can put the 7800gtx in the i9400/e1705
You couldn't two months ago. Since when can you now?

You can put the 7800GTXgo in the 9300 and XPS2. I have the 7800GTXgo in my 9300.

Serra
04-17-2006, 10:58 AM
You could always get an Alienware laptop... you can get pretty well anything you want in one of those (as long as you don't mind paying for it).

That being said, you shouldn't be so surprised that it's hard to find such laptops... a laptop is not a gaming station and should not even be considered by a hardcore gamer.

Serra

mr_knowitall15
04-17-2006, 05:28 PM
Actually, after looking at some of these options, laptops are totally viable as hardcore gaming machines nowadays. Some of these are even suitable for replacing a desktop gamer. Hell, if i get the toshiba, it should run circles around the rig listed in my sig...
wow Sager has some cool stuff. Little out of my price range though(Alienware even more so) I dont need a laptop that is more valuable than my vehicle... Can anyone find some sort of benches on the 7900GS it says its gfx are, im not finding it on the ORB. Maybe some of you know sites that review a lot of notebooks and may have done one on this Toshiba P105-S921. Thanks everyone.
EDIT: Nvidias own website doesnt have info on it...
EDIT: AH HA!!!! Found out its 375Mhz/500Mhz. nothing on pipelines though... However some review site said it SHOULD have a lil more horsepower than the Go 7800GTX, but well see. Hell even if its 16 pipe at those speeds, it should be better than this 6800GT ive got, especially when HDR comes into play. cant imagine it being that few of pipes though...

It's official folks: Toshiba is set to launch its first gaming laptop, the Satellite P105-S921, along with several other new Satellites notebooks. Why is this such a big deal? Well, with the announcement of its new laptop, Toshiba is the first company to unveil nVidia's latest GeForce Go 7900 GS 3D graphics chip. This privilege used to be reserved solely for Dell, who, by the way, is also set to reveal an Nvidia-powered XPS notebook sometime in April. The 7900 GS is not as powerful as Nvidia's desktop GeForce 7900 GTX chipset, but if the current GeForce Go 7800 GTX graphics card is any indication, the 7900 GS should bring more horsepower plus some excitement to laptop gaming.

mr_knowitall15
04-17-2006, 05:59 PM
Rock on :rocker: 20 pixel pipes. Definatley better than what ive got. Should totally be on par with my buddys new A64 3500+, and 7800GT system (prolly better) Im gonna brag my ass of to him once i get this. Now to use my savings bond money for school, and try to pass off the laptop as a school related purchase :woot:
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a351/mr_knowitall15/gfgo_chart.jpg

bachus_anonym
04-18-2006, 07:03 PM
There you go, brand new Dell XPS M1710 (http://www1.us.dell.com/content/products/features.aspx/cto_xpsnb_m1710?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs) - Core Duo & 7900GS/GTX :slobber:

Serra
04-18-2006, 08:26 PM
Actually, after looking at some of these options, laptops are totally viable as hardcore gaming machines nowadays. Some of these are even suitable for replacing a desktop gamer. Hell, if i get the toshiba, it should run circles around the rig listed in my sig...
wow Sager has some cool stuff. Little out of my price range though(Alienware even more so) I dont need a laptop that is more valuable than my vehicle... Can anyone find some sort of benches on the 7900GS it says its gfx are, im not finding it on the ORB. Maybe some of you know sites that review a lot of notebooks and may have done one on this Toshiba P105-S921. Thanks everyone.
EDIT: Nvidias own website doesnt have info on it...
EDIT: AH HA!!!! Found out its 375Mhz/500Mhz. nothing on pipelines though... However some review site said it SHOULD have a lil more horsepower than the Go 7800GTX, but well see. Hell even if its 16 pipe at those speeds, it should be better than this 6800GT ive got, especially when HDR comes into play. cant imagine it being that few of pipes though...

Laptops will never be in the same arena as desktops in gaming. They come close... but will never be *there*. Issues I have with it personally, are that the extra hardware in a "gaming" laptop usually pretty well kills the battery life, thus making your portable computer a lighter desktop + UPS solution. Sure you can even get a 10k rpm hard drive for a laptop, but not a 15k or SCSI (okay, I know some company used to do it, but it wasn't for gaming purposes). Plus with a laptop you're spending many times more what you would need to for a comparable desktop... and I shudder to think about how much better a comprably priced desktop would be to an ultra-high end laptop (ie. 10k range).

Serra

BSill
04-19-2006, 03:46 AM
Bought a Dell XPS laptop. They are crap. Sure they are fast at first, then they tend to slow down and overheat alot. I am constantly cleaning out the fans and the heatpiping and heat fins located towards the rear of the chassis behind the pop out fans. They are dust hogs which is one main reason why they overheat. If you dont have the time to pop out the fans once every two to three weeks then go buy some compressed air, a cold blow dryer doesnt cut it through those tiny holes. I would recommend taking a trip down to home depot and purchasing for a few bucks some form of furniture padding or raisers that stick on to the bottom of the laptop, otherwise there is no airflow to the cooling fans what so ever. If you do purchase a dell laptop xps I would also suggestion googling a program called (if I remember correctly) something in the pool of FANGUI or vis-versa; a program written by an xps user to over write the fan control speed. You can manually adjusted from slow-medium-high (warned high is loud but drops degrees by a few cel). Id stay away from the xps and lean towards alienware (if you can afford it buy one now become they become more integrated with dell)

DriveEuro
04-19-2006, 06:41 AM
I've owned 2 9300s and an XPS2 in the last year and I have never had an overheating issue on mine.

BSill
04-20-2006, 01:33 PM
What specs do you have in yours? They change them almost every year.

3.2g ht p4
1gig ram
mobility x800 series
40gig hd
17lnch screen

other electronics in the room, 2 tvs, 2 hdtvs, another rig, xbox ect but dells have been known to overheat

im suprised it seems like they bounce between ati and nvidia each year