PDA

View Full Version : Some Dothan questions!

Latiass
04-15-2006, 10:01 PM
Guys, I've got some simple questions regarding the Dothan I've got kicking around.. I recently decided to overclock it, to see how far I could take it, and I was actually quite happy with the results.. However, I have a few.. "issues" that need to be resolved before I'll be happy with it.

For one, I need a recommendation for memory. :O I have absolutely no problems reaching 266FSB stably (relatively speaking; it doesn't want to boot at 201 half the time, but when it does, I can get it to 266 fine). I currently have just some Kingston Value RAM in here (it was never intended to be an overclocking rig), but since 266FSB is relatively useless with DDR400 (actually it works out to be like DDR370 or something), I desperately need to know some good RAM that will at least let me use FSB250 (I know there's lots, but I need to know what has the highest potential to go to DDR533 speeds). I also need a decent video card, but that's unrelated.

Also.. it doesn't seem to want to go past ~2.7GHz and be stable (I can get it to 2.8 half the time, obviously, since I have to boot at 201FSB.. but it's only half the time, it works). Doesn't matter what voltage I give it, it just doesn't want to be stable.. in fact, it seems to crash faster with the higher voltage, which leads me to believe it's a heat issue. I mean, I'm still using stock cooling, so I wasn't expecting miracles or anything.. but I'd like to know if I have to mod the adapter/motherboard at all or if I'm missing something. Also, it only grows unstable after leaving it running for a while at 2.8 (by that I mean about 30 seconds). Before that, it seems fine; after that, it crashes even in the BIOS until I leave it off for a bit, which really makes me think it's heat.. but once again, I want to make it's not something stupid.

Current setup:
P4P800-E Deluxe
Pentium M 750 booting at FSB201, FSB266x10 for 2.66GHz using clockgen and EIST
2x512MB Kingston Value RAM - DDR400 3-4-4-8

I'm fairly happy with the superpi 1M of 30 seconds that this beast is giving me - but I'd also like to boost that and real world performance as much as possible. Any help in getting me faster superpi times/benchmark scores is greately appreciated!

FunkyRider
04-16-2006, 10:58 PM
The ram really sux. at 200x13, DDR-400 2-3-3-7, Super Pi 1M for me is 29 sec

Try to run at 200x14, if you can, the score will be way better than what you have now

Latiass
04-17-2006, 10:03 PM
Well.. It boots extremely stable at 200x14 - dual prime95 for the last 12 hours or so. But it seems at 201x14, kaboom - totally unstable if I don't lower the multiplier.. very odd; I will look into it later. Oh well, for now, though, I think this is the best I can really get at the moment (until I can rig up a decent cooling system and get good memory). Later on in the week, like next weekend, I might mess around with it more and try to get better times; but for now, this is a lot better than my 630@stock. :>

cirthix
04-17-2006, 11:16 PM
that's a pretty nice chip.

upping with clockgen or bios?

try boot at 200 or 201

AgonxOC
04-18-2006, 05:47 AM
DOTHANs are very sensitive to heat. If the room temperature goes up and the chip goes above 42ºC its a no go at 2.8 Ghz... If I keep it at about 33 to 35ºC then it can handle anything at 2.8 Ghz.....

http://dubs.unixprohost.com/albums/B3st16v/Prime_2_8Ghz.jpg

I did a voltmod after that, but its jumpy and I need to do a Vdrop... Now I feed it about 1.6V....

Alex

Latiass
04-18-2006, 11:01 AM
that's a pretty nice chip.

upping with clockgen or bios?

try boot at 200 or 201

It boots from BIOS at 200FSB perfectly fine - gets pretty unstable at 201.. But it might be the heat issue mentioned above, my chip gets pretty toasty (relatively speaking). According to the onboard sensors that could be lying, it's at 44. I'll just leave my window open tonight, or even better, hook it up outside - Canadian springtime is a dream for running on air. :>