PDA

View Full Version : How legit is ClockGen for Overclocking?

DARQMX
04-15-2006, 09:58 PM
Also what would be a good start off guide? I know how to use it cause it is simplfied and easy but I heard when people use it they have prime95 running and move up the clocks up every 30 secs to see if there is any errors.

However I am a little skepical cause this is a new program (that came out this year right?) and I been always learned when it came to OCing we use the bios only and no windows based programs to get the best possible oc.

I know that we still will be using the bios with clockgen to add other tweaks and dividers and memory tweaks but I just wanted to know how good this program is and how legit is it when it comes to a true oc like you can do in the bios?

Also when it does its thing does it actually move your FSB in the bios? Or is it all windows based and it is just used to test what your pc can do, so you can so it later in the bios?

Sorry if this is a noob like qustion, I just never OCed with a program before and this site and hardocp highly use it.

afireinside
04-15-2006, 10:11 PM
I didn't like the idea of software OCing at first but it's awesome! It's been around for years. It just moves the FSB in windows. BIOS stays at whatever you booted at. Give it a shot.

DARQMX
04-15-2006, 10:26 PM
O rly? It has been around for years? Cause I looked at the first version and it said release 2/6/2006

DARQMX
04-15-2006, 10:30 PM
O_O, I guess my topic got moved to a completly dead board... Wonderful...

einCe
04-15-2006, 10:49 PM
clockgen was not first released in 06, the version you were probably looking at was released then

G H Z
04-15-2006, 11:04 PM
There are several reason why Clockgen is an invaluble tool. It saves alot of time when testing overclocks and on some setups it allows higher overclocks that cannot boot when set via BIOS. I don't know why you think it wouldn't be a valid way to overclock. If your CPU is running 3.5ghz is doesn't matter whether it was set via BIOS or Clockgen, they're the same frequencies.

DARQMX
04-15-2006, 11:40 PM
True, but Clockgen needs to be running and you once you restart that is it, you got to reset the clocks again. Once you do it in the bios, that is it. All done.

However it does work good for a testing tool imo. I Just made a topic about me failing every test with prime95 when I put it up to 230Mhz!

Postal Dude
04-16-2006, 03:02 AM
Clockgen doesnt need to be running mate. You can overclock your computer while in windows. And it stays that way till either YOU reset it with clockgen, or you reboot your pc. This way you can get a freq that you are aiming for. Close down clockgen and all other none essentials. Do a couple of superpi runs. 3D runs and whatever to stability test it. Its alot safer to OC like this. It allows you to oc without having to reset the cmos everytime you push it a bit too far. very useful!

ex2cib
04-16-2006, 03:55 PM
i always like clockgen when OCing since i am too lazy and impatient to go into the bios each time to bump up the CPU a few more mhz.

i usually just bumped up the clocks
then ran superpi to test for whichever stability i wanted (bench or 24/7)

stealth17
04-18-2006, 09:16 AM
Son times you don't have a choice but to software overclock. For use with the cold bugged AMD cpus, when running sub-zero temperatures you can sometimes boot at a low htt and then in windows get some load on and raise it up. Works great.

BlueWonder
04-19-2006, 05:45 AM
Clockgen has to be one of the most usefull overclocking tools ever made available. It doesn't matter that it doesn't modify the BIOS to change the frequencies. What does matter is that it changes them. I'm not quite sure what you mean by refering to overclocks made in BIOS as "a true oc", both Clockgen and your BIOS are software, the fact that one is aibly run on windows and another is run from an IC on your mobo shouldn't change a thing, they both still do the same thing in setting your frequences.

It's also the only way some of us can get any good overclocks, especially when BIOS features such as multiplier and FSB are not available. And don't forget, your graphics card has to be OC'd in exactly the same way (unless of coarse you edit its' BIOS... *sigh*) .

STEvil
04-19-2006, 10:12 PM
saves on countless reboots at times to find that perfect 24/7 setting as well, sometimes ;)

Repoman
04-22-2006, 03:06 PM
Only thing I hate is the fraction of a MHz thing.. why couldn't they just use whole numbers?

SoF
04-27-2006, 02:26 AM
Clockgen doesnt need to be running mate. You can overclock your computer while in windows. And it stays that way till either YOU reset it with clockgen, or you reboot your pc. This way you can get a freq that you are aiming for. Close down clockgen and all other none essentials. Do a couple of superpi runs. 3D runs and whatever to stability test it. Its alot safer to OC like this. It allows you to oc without having to reset the cmos everytime you push it a bit too far. very useful!

and don't forget the point that you can autostart clockgen without even remarking it with a small .ini file.
in fact when I had the opti it was coldbugged and only could reach higher fsb than 212 in windows. without clockgen I would have never got that stable and high 24/7 setup.
as afireinside I didn't liked the idea of softwareclocking at the very beginning as well but it makes things so easy :)

Marvin_The_Martian
04-27-2006, 03:27 AM
Only thing I hate is the fraction of a MHz thing.. why couldn't they just use whole numbers?

Because that's what you're running and not a whole number? It has to do with the clockgen not exactly running at an even interval so each cycle isn't a whole number afaik. So your fsb isn't really running at pc3200 but maybe pc3200,003 or w/e, so when it calculates cpu speed which is fsb*multi it doesn't come to a whole number. Now one could simply change the output to show whole number but that wouldn't be accurate or true.

Edit: it's related to the crystal in the clockgenerator, which determines real speeds. This crystal doesn't oscilate with a even number interval, hence all resulting speeds not being an even number ( odd chance offcourse it does sometimes form an even number lol )... Someone correct me if I'm wrong?!?

Delirious
04-27-2006, 03:52 AM
Does clockgen even work with DFI boards, last time i check i thought it wasnt on the supported list?

ex2cib
04-27-2006, 08:33 AM
yes clockgen works with with DFI boards, @ least your board im sure of.

thats what i use whenever i OC

Delirious
04-27-2006, 09:28 AM
Thats good to know, and all this time i havent used it cause i didnt think it did, doh! :D

noktekniq
04-28-2006, 05:23 PM
where do i get the nf4 version of clockgen for dfi lanpartyy board? pm me the link thanks

Marvin_The_Martian
04-28-2006, 08:35 PM
Doesn't clockgen now work on all ic's :shrug:

Atleast that's what I thought :)

Zenphic
04-29-2006, 04:28 PM
I think the new version of ClockGen has all the IC's in it, not like before when you had to download the specific ClockGen for x IC. However, I think that you still have to choose the IC in the ClockGen configuration panel. :)

It's been a while I haven't used ClockGen so I can't be too sure :D