PDA

View Full Version : "Classic" SocketA Vapochill: Modifications and thoughts

Bravo
02-11-2003, 04:55 AM
Hi Y'all :)

I've run into a bad bit of luck. I was having some problems earlier with my Vapo, which happens to be the first revision SocketA with the extremely short thermal bus :(

1 2400 AIUHB (@ 2638 prime95 @ 2v), 1 chipped 2100 0303 MPMW, and a gutted system later, i had determined my vapo hadnt sprung a leak. Having already ripped off the insulation, and thought about what i would change, i decided to stick on air for a bit, and look at getting some modifications done.

Number 1: The short thermal bus has given me loads of problems, from mounting the chilling equipment, to the limited room i have mounting the evaporator head to the CPU. I wanted to opt for a stand alone aluminum 'long box' (basically the length/width of the case i would use, and the height of the compressor, mounted on wheels that would sit under my case of choice). This would enable me to attach the evaporator head without worry.
- Are there any limitations on how long i can extend the thermal bus provided i properly insulate the line?
- Is there any reason to opt for the chilling 'long box' to sit on top of the case?

Number 2: I wanted to increase the performance of my classic model, but did not have the means to do so. Tonights scare has given me a reason to shelf the Vapo until i am happy using it (that includes condensation prevention completely done and fool proof, ease of use, including installation). I was suggested R290 (Propane) by a friend, he suggested the -40C boiling point would provide an increase in performance at the expense of the compressor running hot all the time.
- If i was to use 2x 120mm fans in the front and back of the long box to create a wind tunnel effect, to keep the compressor cool, would this minimise damage?
- What sort of damage would i be looking at after 3 - 6 - 9 - 12 months? Decreased performance? Would the compressor need to be replaced, or would the oil need to be changed?

Misc:
- Is it ok to replace the inside of the Clam's insulation with pieces of glued together neoprene?
- what sort of rubber should i look for to replace the rubber gasket?
- Will spraying the Clam black look cool?

I look forward to some answers :) Ta

P.S. also thinking of an improved mounting design (still socketA lug), and will draw up a picture tomorrow :) Thanks for your time :)

Friar Tuck
02-11-2003, 02:51 PM
It's not a good idea to have the compressor on the Vapo under the CPU.. the unit is designed to be on the top of the CPU, so that condensation does not form on the thermal bus near the compressor.

You can use other coolants beside the standard R134a in the 'Classic' vapo, but be careful what you use.

Extra fans front and back of the compressor compartment always help the compressor to run cooler.

Vapochill life expectancy is probably 10 years, but this figure can be decreased by running different coolants and loads.

It is ok to replace the insulation 'block' inside the clamshell with closed-cell foam [eg: neoprene].

Spraying the clamshell black might look cool, but be careful what you spray it with. Some spray-paints eat plastic !!

You can get more answers to your questions on the Vapochill forums...:)

FT.

Bravo
02-11-2003, 06:08 PM
Thanks friar

I will post back with an idea for my long box.

TodB
02-13-2003, 03:42 PM
Originally posted by Bravo

I will post back with an idea for my long box.

Please, do that :)

I'm doing some thinking myself, and when I get the thinking in the right direction I'll share it with ya ;)

Bravo
02-14-2003, 05:18 AM
Opted to have the Compressor Unit sitting on top of the case. Nico made a very valid point saying the R134a in liquid form is quite easily capable of 'flowing' down, and evaporating up once it has absorbed heat.

TodB
02-14-2003, 03:02 PM
Well I'm thinking of making some special top for my Enlight EN-7237 case and drill a hole for the cooling line/head to reach the CPU..... that's one way to keep my 4x5.25 bays, cuz I need them.... :)