PDA

View Full Version : which is better for airflow?

shray
02-10-2003, 05:13 PM
I can get some cheap stuff. I have in my system a slk800 lapped and a sunon 50 cfm fan.
Options
#1 A coupla rounded cables to improve airflow and a tornado fan.
------------------------------------------------------
1 of these »www.heatsinkstore.com./blac10rounfl3.h..[?]
2 of these »www.heatsinkstore.com./18dualdevatr6.h..[?]
»www.heatsinkstore.com./80torfan.html[?]

#2 A whole new heatsink for my athlon xp 1800.. with the 50cfm fan i have.
»www.heatsinkstore.com./noname10.html[?]

Option #3 A case slot fan to blow out old air. With the rounded cables.
»www.heatsinkstore.com./vanfancarsys.html[?]

I dont wanna spend more than 50$$. Or sumthin else from the hsf store.

i get a load of 40C.... I have a large blue chieftec from newegg with a premodded window. It has 2 fans (generic) in back 1 in front (antec)

I dont feel like making rounded cables, cuz i just have VERY jittery hands. so which option?
athlon xp palamino (soon to get a tbred) 1800 oced to about 2200 speeds.

BTW thanks for the help.

felix88
02-11-2003, 01:23 AM
i'd go with option 2. although it may not perform much better than your current heatsink unless you buy a better fan as well.

with the first setup, everything is great except for that fan. i don't like it when my ears bleed. maybe i'm just a wuss.

i've never had any good luck with those slot fans, so the third option is out.

LORD
02-11-2003, 03:23 AM
I didn't look at your links but I can say that a more powerful fan like a DELTA 80 cfm perhaps controlled by a rheostat so that you can control the rpms will improve your cooling.

Rounded cables will also help but you can also fold over the standard cables as well.

You also have to have adequate air being sucked into the front lower portion of the case and then extracted out the upper rear of the case. You can test if you need better airflow with in the case by placing the side cover on and seeing if you have an increase in temps. If you do then it means you will need to improve the case airflow....

Hope this helps,

okra
02-11-2003, 09:47 AM
duct your slk-800 in from side of case, put a fan blowing air thru duct onto heatsink/fan combo - stop the duct just before it touches fan on HS.
Watch your temps drop.

LORD
02-11-2003, 10:36 AM
Originally posted by okra
duct your slk-800 in from side of case, put a fan blowing air thru duct onto heatsink/fan combo - stop the duct just before it touches fan on HS.
Watch your temps drop.

You forgot to mention that he will have to dremel a hole in the side of the case. Only thing I dislike in this method of cooling is the shear amount of dust it accumulates in the case.......Ofcourse a filter could be used but that cuts down on airflow. *shrug*