PDA

View Full Version : Grad schools and GMAT

antipop
04-13-2006, 05:04 AM
I'm applying for a MS in a business school here and they asked me o take the GMAT which I did yesterday.
I got a pretty good score and I was wondering what kind of score do to grad school ask in the US? I wasn't expecting to have such a number and now I'm thinking about doing a business school in the US. Do you have information on how they rate an application?

trakslacker
04-13-2006, 05:14 AM
yep. I'm a graduating senior this year, and was planning on starting grad school for an MBA directly in the fall, although after a lot of thought I've decided to wait a semester, get a real job, start up grad school at night in the Spring '07 semester, and have my company pay for it. :)

As far as the GMAT goes, for a lot of schools if you score over a 550-600 the GMAT becomes somewhat of a non-issue and they look at your other credentials, and you are fairly likely to get it. If you are looking at some of the top business schools in the US, then certainly the GMAT would have to be somewhat higher, and the rest of your portfolio would have to be outstanding as well. What did you score?

antipop
04-13-2006, 05:17 AM
I already have one year work experience in CRM consulting and if the MS in france doesn't work out, i'll apply with a full 2 years experience.

I've scored 720

trakslacker
04-13-2006, 07:09 AM
720 is a pretty good score. Congrats on that! You should have no fear about applying to any business schools here in the US. Pick a few that have the programs you want, and apply. You would likely have your choice of offers.

antipop
04-13-2006, 07:17 AM
720 is a pretty good score. Congrats on that! You should have no fear about applying to any business schools here in the US. Pick a few that have the programs you want, and apply. You would likely have your choice of offers.
Thanks, you should have seen my face when the score appeared on the screen I was expecting something along 600.
So with that score i should have a fair chance to get into a top business school? I've always dreamed of Ivy league :D
Let's see first how i do with the French business school, due to my work I don't really have time to apply to many of them so i just took the top school and the hardest MS. Hey I like challenges :D

BTW what's your major?

trakslacker
04-13-2006, 12:57 PM
BTW what's your major?

Economics. :)

ex2cib
04-13-2006, 01:02 PM
Economics. :)
:slapass: :slapass: :slapass: :slapass: ;)

just venting some frustration from my macroeconomics class:D
edit: btw, how are you in accounting?

trakslacker
04-13-2006, 01:18 PM
:slapass: :slapass: :slapass: :slapass: ;)

just venting some frustration from my macroeconomics class:D
edit: btw, how are you in accounting?

yeah, Macro is ghey. don't feel bad if you hate it. Take a Microeconomics course if you get the chance. Not exactly easier, but far more real-world than Macro, which is all crappy and abstract theory stuff.

I've had a few accting classes. Need something?

ex2cib
04-13-2006, 01:26 PM
i had to take micro first, understood that perfectly, no problems @ all. macro is a pain though.

anyways, i need to figure out how to do a stockholders equity form. i have to figure out how to do 3 more things on a module for one of my classes, and its getting annoying. i would just talk to my instructor about it after class tonight, but i have to go take a CS test right after it :(

trakslacker
04-13-2006, 02:14 PM
what are the numbers and headings you were given? and is this a basic balance sheet, a trial balance, adjusted trial balance, full and detailed balance, or what? you're gonna be using at least retained earnings and oustanding common stock, and could also be using paid-in capital and stuff. lemme know.

ex2cib
04-13-2006, 03:20 PM
basically, we have an online system that we use, gives random numbers each time, ill send you a PM about it later tonight to show you what im talking about.