PDA

View Full Version : I-Ram in Raid 0

markost
04-11-2006, 07:22 PM
Beware of removing an I-Ram card from your M/B when using a pair in Raid 0. Even if only removed momentarilly, you will loose your RAID SET. The old saying "Have you got a ghost of your OS" really applies here.

nn_step
04-12-2006, 02:18 AM
That is because I-Ram only holds your data when it is powered.. and disconnecting it, removes the power

markost
04-12-2006, 04:12 AM
That is because I-Ram only holds your data when it is powered.. and disconnecting it, removes the power Gigabyte say that the battery backup will secure the data for 16 hours !!!!!?????

Disposibleteen
04-12-2006, 04:29 AM
Are you using an onboard raid controller or an expansion card on the PCI-E platform?

nn_step
04-12-2006, 11:28 AM
Gigabyte say that the battery backup will secure the data for 16 hours !!!!!?????
Yeah, when the Computer is turned off... it says nothing about removing it

K404
04-13-2006, 03:14 AM
The battery is meant to supply 16 hours worth of charge if no other power supply is available..ie..everything is turned off, or the card is removed.

Thing is tho... it strongly dependsw how much RAM is installed, and it seems Gigabyte might have slightly over-estimated the battery life. I dont mean to knock Gigabyte as they`re willing to listen and improve their products.

I`m just calling what I saw when I was using an I-RAM

Single card was hitting 140MB/S transfer... 2 in RAID wont get much of a benefit...and the heat it kicks out would be pretty bad.

markost
04-21-2006, 06:57 AM
I'm using the nVidia RAID controller. The OS will stay in tact when loaded onto a single I-Ram and that I-Ram module is removed from the M/B. (although the 16 hr lifespan is greatly reduced)
When using 2 I-Ram cards in RAID 0, the RAID array fails if 1 or both cards are removed from the board. I have not been able to rebuild the array through the nVidia RAID console in BIOS. No real loss though as these cards are so fast, it doesn't take long to "ghost" the OS back from an image.(allowing of course that the ghost is up to date !!!!!)

K404
04-21-2006, 07:32 AM
you have 2 in a RAID?? PLease can ya send me some HDTach screens of performance, or let me know what the boost is over a single I-RAM? Is the heat dump as it bad as I imagine? I had a single I-RAM, and the heat was a joke.

:)

Thanks!

Kenny

markost
04-21-2006, 04:06 PM
Kenny
No screenies of HD Tach (using 1 card now) however using RAID 0 doubles the figures that you get in HD Tach using 1 card but latency remains much the same. Windows speed does not really improve much as the Serial ATA interface is the choke. Basically it just gives you more storage. Heat wasn't an issue for me as i have loads of active cooling. A good compromise is to use a pair of raptors in RAID (cheaper as well) for most of your larger Apps and Data and the I-Ram for the OS/office/Adobe etc. The speed loss using this setup is only minor.

NickS
04-21-2006, 04:22 PM
These things put out that much heat? Why? Most RAM doesn't get that warm/ :S

Nick

Steensen
04-22-2006, 12:13 AM
Are the I-RAM sent out in retail yet, or are you just some lucky guys that works a gigabyte and/or have the right connections?

markost
04-23-2006, 03:22 AM
In Australia http://www.nintek.com.au/x/scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=3667

K404
04-23-2006, 03:40 AM
Well...a latency of ns I think I can deal with :p: My burst speed was 140MB/S and my average read was 136. on a SATA1 interface...can those double??

@Steensen...yup, been out for a while..check ebay! :D The U.K. prices are obscene, i`m glad I imported.

The heat dump was bad, yea. Added 10 degrees to my GPU, which was abve it and that was with a fan blowing over the I-RAM, mounted centrally across the I-RAM blowing towards the PCI expansion slots :(

I`m having a conversation with a guy who thinks 2 I-RAM can be combined with a SIL4723 to make SATA300? What you guys think?

http://www.pcpro.co.uk/custompc/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=200588

Kenny

mesyn191
04-23-2006, 07:46 PM
I think if he does it using any of the Silicon Image controllers then it'd be a waste, same goes for NVRAID.

Those I-RAM card sure look nice but still only 4 slots, to expensive to get a decent amount of storage with em' ATM (and I've already got 4 drive RAID 0 anyways).

aug1516
04-25-2006, 06:50 AM
I remember reading something about raid not being recommended for these first I-ram cards and that the second revision I-ram2 would officially support it. Maybe this is why?