PDA

View Full Version : Cold Stone????

bullet2urbrain
04-11-2006, 03:46 PM
All right us American's should probably know what Coldstone Creamery is by now.. i hope

and the rest of the world that reads here probably knows a thing or 2 about TEC's and Phase.

basically i wanna build a Beer Pong table that maintains a temperature of ~33* F

now coldstone creamery INC. uses something similar to chill their Stone. how do they do it.

The table must but fairly large and can be made of thin metal. dimensions are going to be the same size as a ping pong table. or 9ft by 5ft... ours will probably be more like 7ft by 3 feet.

Thanks in advance,

I have access to a decent amount of supplies so go ahead and give me whatcha got

[XC] MarioMaster
04-11-2006, 04:34 PM
it might be a phase system, not sure - don't think they use TECs as the surface is quite large

Deadeye550
04-12-2006, 06:31 AM
my guess is a basic refrigeration system right under there stone.

freecableguy
04-12-2006, 06:44 AM
rob coldstone

trakslacker
04-12-2006, 08:38 AM
rob coldstone

seems like the simplest solution to me.

bullet2urbrain
04-12-2006, 09:07 AM
except thats not the engineering way to do it. i want to do it the engineering way with me Mits and Braun.

altho coldstone shouldnt be to tough to rob.... i mean enjoy their tasty treat.

someone has to have an idea....

freecableguy
04-12-2006, 09:17 AM
Well, here's my idea then:

1) get a large, shallow, multi-pass heat exchange with a flat side that you can use some type of thermal epoxy to bond a large piece of polished granite to.
2) build a chiller with extremely low temperatures (don't worry about a high load rating).
3) run the output of the chiller (cold water) through the heat exchanger. make sure to use a mixture that prevents freezing in the lines.
4) then rob coldstone :)

-FCG

bullet2urbrain
04-12-2006, 09:28 AM
excellent... i especially enjoy the last part...

how would the polished granite help tho? it seems that some sort of metal would work better? could polished granite be replaced with "sheet metal"?

NWEng
04-12-2006, 09:34 AM
I know this is kind of out there, but have you considered asking someone at Coldstone how they do it? While you're robbing them, I mean. You're more likely to get specific answers while you have them under duress.

ex2cib
04-12-2006, 10:04 AM
just make sure you rob a cold stone up north, if you ever came down to tuscaloosa and robbed the ones here, i would chase you down...

mmmmm......ice cream. . . :)

bullet2urbrain
04-12-2006, 10:52 AM
well i have a heat exchanger coming from my good friends dad who owns a heating and cooling business.

it will probably get a 10" or 12" radiator fan... perhaps a chiller then of some sorts????????

Deadeye550
04-12-2006, 11:23 AM
excellent... i especially enjoy the last part...

how would the polished granite help tho? it seems that some sort of metal would work better? could polished granite be replaced with "sheet metal"?

Since you will be running below ambient temps (probably near freezing) you will run into the issue of rust. Sheet metal will work but will rust over time. Granite will keep the chill longer (but will take longer to get to that cold temp)

bullet2urbrain
04-12-2006, 11:46 AM
ehh the rust doesnt matter so much as the sheetmetal can be easily replaced at little to no cost. due to my buddies family owning the heating and cooling dealership..

but good point.. we may get alot of condensation... which is no big deal because it will probably be outside on the deck of our house...

freecableguy
04-12-2006, 11:48 AM
oh, there's no doubt about the condensation, this should definately be located outdoors and under shade

bullet2urbrain
04-12-2006, 11:53 AM
it will be... under the shade of nighttime and the shade from the 2nd floor of the house, and outside.....

FCG, we are talking about the #2 Party school in the Country i gotta build a Table worthy of the #2 Party school so im asking Xtreme Systems for helping to build the XtremeBeerPong Frostbyte 1

MaxxxRacer
04-12-2006, 12:28 PM
"I'm asking Xtreme Systems for helping to build the XtremeBeerPong Frostbyte 1"

LMAO!

we need to get Reggie on this. 3 Stage beer chiller.

bullet2urbrain
04-12-2006, 12:31 PM
we need to get Reggie's ( if he has them ) kids involved i think -190* C beer is a bit cold, right ~32 degrees F would be ideal..... we can also turn this thread into "what temperature do you like to drink your beer at?"

amd4me
04-12-2006, 01:47 PM
we need to get Reggie's ( if he has them ) kids involved i think -190* C beer is a bit cold, right ~32 degrees F would be ideal..... we can also turn this thread into "what temperature do you like to drink your beer at?"
Okay , my sis used to work at a cold stone and their stone is 28F dude.
And theirs doesnt generate condensation. You can buy them at resteraunt supply places they are called chilled prep slabs.

MaxxxRacer
04-12-2006, 02:23 PM
Okay , my sis used to work at a cold stone and their stone is 28F dude.
And theirs doesnt generate condensation. You can buy them at resteraunt supply places they are called chilled prep slabs.

lol. well that puts a damper on this thread

bullet2urbrain
04-12-2006, 03:36 PM
nope.. it just gives me more incentive to do it. because condensation doesnt really matter. it'll be outside.

and i dont want my beer @ 28* F as the piss water we drink every night would probably freeze.

i will figure something out i hope..... the surface area of the table is really my main concern

amd4me
04-13-2006, 08:08 AM
nope.. it just gives me more incentive to do it. because condensation doesnt really matter. it'll be outside.

and i dont want my beer @ 28* F as the piss water we drink every night would probably freeze.

i will figure something out i hope..... the surface area of the table is really my main concern

Get a freezer and gut it and use the refrigeration stuf ona slap of stainless.
and mount it on a wooden box to hide the cooling stuff.
Or you could just use and old freezer and make a kegerator out of it.

trakslacker
04-13-2006, 01:13 PM
piss water

PBR, eh?

EDIT: Oh, and I am fully behind this. As a fellow drunken college student, I find a chilled beer pong(or in my case beer die) table to be GENIUS. I would love to see you build a monster 3-stage cascade...to drink beer off of. :)

ex2cib
04-13-2006, 01:29 PM
can't wait to see the CNN news headline

"Ohio Student caught breaking into multiple Cold Stone's"
"It wasn't the ice cream he wanted, or the store's money, he wanted....the granite slab to construct his own beer pong table"

Delirious
04-13-2006, 01:36 PM
Get a chest freezer, take off the top door and substitute it for a thick slab of granite the same dimensions or maybe larger.

The granite absorbs the cold and holds it in, versus the metal would dissipate it too fast im guessing?

Or you could just go to cold stone and ask for a tour or ask them how the stone works :D

bullet2urbrain
04-13-2006, 02:56 PM
Thank you all for the bode of confidence i love seeing my Fellow CollegiateMafia friends involved.

Chilly1 where are you???????

and no not PBR, we drink Natural Light. the ultimate PIss water.

im a sam adams man myself when i have the $$$ and drink for taste.

i just think that granite may be too tough to come by and a PITA to move... i will investigate what i can do, once i receive the heat exchanger i will begin experimenting with smaller parts of metals and stones to see what i can get.

anything lower than 50*F would be fine with me as 33* is kinda lofty goal.

if you see me on CNN ex2, just know to give it more volts, and i'll get out eventually