PDA

View Full Version : Oblivion Hotfix just killed my X1800XL

Sentential
04-10-2006, 10:36 AM
This is ridiclous this is now the 4th X1800 that has died on me. Next one I get from RMA is being sold, I'm not tolerating this nonsense any longer

Jupiler
04-10-2006, 10:58 AM
Sounds weird. What happened exactly?

NickS
04-10-2006, 11:04 AM
Yeah, really...?

Nick

±Pink=FloYd±
04-10-2006, 12:15 PM
can you give us a link to that hotfix?

uOpt
04-10-2006, 12:19 PM
This bug report might be a little light on the details...

Sentential
04-10-2006, 12:21 PM
Sounds weird. What happened exactly?
I installed the hotfix, rebooted and the whole screen was filled with artifracts and they have yet to go away.

This bug report might be a little light on the details...
Tried removing the drivers and reformatting, no joy, she's dead captin'... this is pathetic that was the #3rd one that died with no explination :(

#1 DOA
#2 Shortly after benching @ stock
#3 After applying hotfix

The hotfix is on ATI's website and was linked via theinquirer.com

RTB
04-10-2006, 12:24 PM
Which might give you a good reason to check your other hardware to see if those could cause a video card to die.

±Pink=FloYd±
04-10-2006, 12:29 PM
wat motherboard are you using?

cirthix
04-10-2006, 07:21 PM
complete system specs required

Den Leiw
04-11-2006, 04:52 AM
maybe you chould change your psu, it musn't be your gfx card that's always dying on you

You know I had two Ati Radeon AIW 9800 pro die on me because of a crappy PSU

Sentential
04-11-2006, 05:58 AM
wat motherboard are you using?
Asus P5WD2-P

complete system specs required
P-D 920
Powerstream 520W (less than a year old)
P5WD2P
1gb of mushkin pc2-5300
Watercooling (yes I checked for leaks and there are none)

There's no reason that this could possibly happen excluding the powersupply which Im considering RMAing. (but why would the PSU spike the moment I apply the patch)

kemist
04-11-2006, 11:15 AM
id be inclined to say, that if youve had 3 in a row die its likely your motherboard or powersupply not playing nice with the card.

NickS
04-11-2006, 12:03 PM
Were you using waterblocks on all three?

If so you suck at mounting, obviously :)

Try using stock cooler for a bit, on the next one.

Nick

LiQU!D
04-11-2006, 01:04 PM
(but why would the PSU spike the moment I apply the patch)

Didn't you say you reset and then it artifacted?

Sounds like PSU to me.

ocmyface
04-11-2006, 01:10 PM
yup. happened to me before. most likely PSU

i had 3 9800pros die on me back in the day for no reason. finally tried replacing mobo. another 9800pro died, switched out power supply from crappy enermax to PC power, no more problems

90 percent of the time if the same component dies twice in a row for no reason, its usually not that components fault (based on my experience at least)

Sentential
04-11-2006, 01:32 PM
Were you using waterblocks on all three?

If so you suck at mounting, obviously :)

Try using stock cooler for a bit, on the next one.

Nick
:stick:
#1 Stock Air
#2 Stock Air
#3 Water (most recent one)

Didn't you say you reset and then it artifacted?

Sounds like PSU to me.
Quite possible, Im not going to discount that possibility and I'm going to call OCZ up today and get an RMA for the PSU as well. Normally if a spike killed the card wouldnt it artifract on post and not *just* in 3D mode? (cuz thats what is happening)

yup. happened to me before. most likely PSU

i had 3 9800pros die on me back in the day for no reason. finally tried replacing mobo. another 9800pro died, switched out power supply from crappy enermax to PC power, no more problems

90 percent of the time if the same component dies twice in a row for no reason, its usually not that components fault (based on my experience at least)
^^ see above, I agree, it is entirely plausible that the PSU is to blame but I wonder why it would just kill the videocard and not the whole system (as it is working fine still)

The only thing that changed that caused the arifracting was the patch. Im going to try reformatting here shortly and see what that does. Again, thanks for the help everone.

J-Mag
04-11-2006, 01:47 PM
Normally if a spike killed the card wouldnt it artifract on post and not *just* in 3D mode? (cuz thats what is happening)

I broke a little SMD cap or resistor off my 9800pro back in the day and everything worked fine during Post and in Windows, only to weird out in 3dmode or heavy scrolling, so maybe just something small died and no core damage...

Kunaak
04-11-2006, 02:25 PM
How do you blame a driver for killing a videocard... when you have 3 others die under mysterious circumstances?

unless you killed all of them with the driver, in the last week, then the driver cant be the problem.

I would check your PCI-E voltage, with a multimeter... not bios.

Sentential
04-11-2006, 03:43 PM
How do you blame a driver for killing a videocard... when you have 3 others die under mysterious circumstances?

unless you killed all of them with the driver, in the last week, then the driver cant be the problem.

I would check your PCI-E voltage, with a multimeter... not bios.
I agree that checking that is a good idea but why this card? Why only the AIW X1800XL. Wouldnt my x800 and x600 have died by now if there was a problem with either the PSU or motherboard?

I agree that something is amiss but this seems card specific. Perhaps a quality issue? I still am unable to explain why immediately after applying the patch this occured.

Kunaak
04-11-2006, 03:49 PM
ok then...

say theres a specific problem with the AIW 1800XL series...

did you kill them all with the Oblivion patch?
if you didn't, then again, the driver just happens to be a coincedence.
it would then seem more likely there may indeed be a problem with the X1800XL or you board.

it's just too hard to swallow, if you had 4 die, and only 1 happend with the patch... which would then hint that the patch had little to do with it, if the other cards died before you had the patch to try...

Sentential
04-11-2006, 06:12 PM
ok then...

say theres a specific problem with the AIW 1800XL series...

did you kill them all with the Oblivion patch?
if you didn't, then again, the driver just happens to be a coincedence.
it would then seem more likely there may indeed be a problem with the X1800XL or you board.

it's just too hard to swallow, if you had 4 die, and only 1 happend with the patch... which would then hint that the patch had little to do with it, if the other cards died before you had the patch to try...
I think Ill have more ammunition to work with when I get #4 from RMA. I agree with you that it is highly suspect that a patch would do this but I have no other viable explination other than the R520 being a terrible GPU.

While logic would suggest this is a hardware issue related to either a damaged PSU or GPU, but why.... why would it work perfectally fine before the driver then not at all once its been applied? Just doesnt make sense.

I guess it could be Cat 6.3 related since I do recall installing those drivers shortly before the 2nd X1800 died but frankly I cannot recall for sure due to how upset I was at the time.

{PMS}fishy
04-11-2006, 06:42 PM
This is ridiclous this is now the 4th X1800 that has died on me. Next one I get from RMA is being sold, I'm not tolerating this nonsense any longer

I told you 3 cards ago that x1800xls were junk.

Can you hear me now!

LiQU!D
04-11-2006, 06:51 PM
X1800's draw alot more power then X800 and X600, which would make sense why it happened with the X1800 and not the others.

Also, with regards to it only artifacting in 3d mode, maybe it fried a 3d voltage regulator?

Sentential
04-11-2006, 07:20 PM
Also, with regards to it only artifacting in 3d mode, maybe it fried a 3d voltage regulator?
Quite possible, but again it would be something that I really wouldnt know how to check.

PSU is going to get sent back for the reasons listed. I agree that there is a good chance something has gone awry with it and could possibly explain the string of dead cards

RyderOCZ
04-11-2006, 07:46 PM
You can check the PSU with a multimeter, I take it you have already spoken to someone about the RMA?

Sentential
04-12-2006, 04:03 AM
You can check the PSU with a multimeter, I take it you have already spoken to someone about the RMA?
No not yet :) Again I really doubt the PSU would be to blame but I'm grapsing for straws at this point. Thanks for the help Ryder

RyderOCZ
04-12-2006, 10:14 AM
Let me know if you need anything.

NickS
04-12-2006, 03:39 PM
X1800's draw alot more power then X800 and X600, which would make sense why it happened with the X1800 and not the others.

Yep. They also run hotter, do you have proper airflow?

Nick

Sentential
04-13-2006, 07:21 AM
Yep. They also run hotter, do you have proper airflow?

Nick
Watercooled with Delta casefans so flow is not an issue. Friend of mine showed me a post where somone's X1900 died because of catalyst 6.4 so perhaps there is indeed a problem