PDA

View Full Version : Air Conditioners? Who makes a good one?

amd4me
04-07-2006, 09:06 AM
Just a quick question for all you guys.
I have been looking for a window mount AC for a while now and I have scoured the web.
I have found all kinds of results and you wouldnt believe how many fanboys there are for ac companies.
I am just looking for a good ac under 300 bucks for a smaller sized room.
Some help would be appreciated.
Thank you.

Levish
04-07-2006, 11:48 AM
I have had two samsungs that I'm very happy with, I think the most important thing is to look for one rated apprpriately for your room

and I absolutely love split AC's, sooo quiet

<.<;

[XC] MarioMaster
04-07-2006, 01:20 PM
My house may have central air conditioning, but in my room, with the three computers, a 24" HDTV, a refrigerator and misc other crap, it still gets quite toasty in my room. I was lucky enough to find a window AC unit at a flea market for $15. It was a Panasonic and it worked reasonably well. I got three working air conditioners for free for my computer DD unit but tested them all before deciding which one I want to save for my room. Long story short - The Emerson was by far the quietest, you can still tell you have an air conditioner running but is by no means noisy - The Whirlpool was noisy as hell, It would prove to be a challenge to watch tv at the same time. The Panasonic fell in the middle. I also like the Emerson because it was the most energy efficient.
And there you have it - my personal experience with window AC units.

NickS
04-07-2006, 01:30 PM
We have 3x maytags. They're all pwnage. :)

Nick

wdrzal
04-07-2006, 02:23 PM
noise is a problem with window units, some are much worse than others.

while central is the quitest with the condensor outside and air handler either in the atic or basement.

mini-split's are a good choice as the condensor is ouside and only a quite blower is inside. to install you do need to run power lines, connect freon lines thru the wall, and provide a drain line.

if buying a window , It would be hard to say that one is better than another, but I would look for a quite one. which is hard to determine when either they are not running or running in a display with many others.

[XC] Lead Head
04-07-2006, 02:30 PM
I like Fedders and GE

amd4me
04-08-2006, 07:42 AM
wow so many opinions.
I am looking for something really quiet.
Noise is my largest concern.

Chipmonk
04-08-2006, 02:31 PM
just open the feckin window like the real people in the western world do, it just aint that hot you wuss ;)

NickS
04-08-2006, 03:30 PM
just open the feckin window like the real people in the western world do, it just aint that hot you wuss ;)

It's all about the computer temps man, all about the temps. ;)

Nick

amd4me
04-10-2006, 06:50 AM
That doesnt help when it's 119 outside.
I live in Newmexico dude.

[XC] MarioMaster
04-10-2006, 03:53 PM
Emerson Quiet Kool FTW :)

[XC] Lead Head
04-10-2006, 04:22 PM
Emerson Quiet Kool FTW :)

Bah i had one of them, it drew 12 amps and its compressor wouldnt stay running for more then 10 minutes and it shook so violently when it turned off, it almost ripped itself out of the window

[XC] MarioMaster
04-11-2006, 04:51 PM
You must've had a really big one, mine's only a 5000 btu unit and draws 5 amps.

[XC] Lead Head
04-11-2006, 05:27 PM
it was 8k BTU:stick:

[XC] MarioMaster
04-13-2006, 02:51 PM
And it drew over 2x the power.....hmmm - something's not right here :)