PDA

View Full Version : Installing Prometeia (on AMD) without plastic shim

CodeRed
02-08-2003, 08:45 PM
Hi guys,
I just sold my 2400+ and couldnt get that plastic shim that comes with the AMD kit off the CPU. So I sold it with the shim stuck on. Getting another shim from Chip-Con is out of the question due to delivery costs/time to Australia.

Here are my noobish questions:

Now is it OK to run the prom without that shim?
What are the chances of damaging a CPU core during installation?
Will it improve/worsen performance?

Cheers
CodeRed

DaGooch
02-08-2003, 09:21 PM
I ran out of the shims a long ago and run my chips without the shims and have not experienced any cracks or chipped corners on the die to date. Gone through about 7 CPU changes without a problem.

CodeRed
02-09-2003, 01:44 AM
Thats exactly what I wanted to hear :)

Goodbye shims .....

TheDude
02-09-2003, 11:22 AM
I agree with DaGoochMeister, my shim was gone after the first time I switched cpu...no probs.

DisposableHero
02-10-2003, 01:30 AM
what i thought of last night... would the shim aid in cooling?

so i thought it shouldnt but it might actually... see the core is very small surface area compared to the evap pressing down on it... well it touches the core cooling it but wouldnt it touching the shim cool that as well which would then cool the other part of cpu.. making he whole cpu colder :D

LORD
02-11-2003, 09:31 AM
In fact I have heard the opposite. That being that a shim will actually impede some of the cooling effect. Although I believe it will be a negligible amount in the case of the Premeteia. Then again as they say 'every bit counts';)

Tedinde
02-14-2003, 11:57 PM
I ordered some for virtual Pcs, But they come with the CPU upgrade kit also.

TheDude
02-15-2003, 02:16 PM
The only purpose I see to the shim is to protect the top of the chip and help to keep you from cracking the core on AMDs, neither of which has been a problem for me with the Prommie.