PDA

View Full Version : Klipsch 5.1 or Z-5500?

Poly15
04-03-2006, 01:04 PM
Deciding whether to get some klipsch 5.1 Promedia or Logitech Z-5500 speakers. Anyone have an opinion on which I should buy? THANKS!

johnanderson
04-03-2006, 02:30 PM
ive only heard good things about klipsch. go with those

gr8golf
04-03-2006, 04:36 PM
I love my Klipsch's - for both gaming and music. It makes an awesome home theater system when at my desk. I think you'd be very happy with them. That said - I have no experience with the Logitechs.

mnewxcv
04-03-2006, 04:45 PM
yeah ive listened to both, logitech has a sorta "fake" too deep bass, klipsch's sound great. if you can, go to a local store and listen for yourself.

FragTek
04-03-2006, 04:55 PM
I just dropped the Klipsch 2.1 GMX's in favor of a pair of Z-5500's and I'm very glad that I did. I had a lot of problems with my breakout box on my Klipsch's, though the sound was outstanding.

I would say that these Logi's are right on par if not even better sounding than the Klipsch's when hooked up via coax or optical.

As mentioned, take a trip to the local store and hear them both for yourself.

ProphetX
04-03-2006, 05:04 PM
get the z5500s

Jokester_wild
04-03-2006, 06:31 PM
Get the Klipsch 5.1

Slayer2k3
04-03-2006, 07:17 PM
Klipsch. Amazing sound, never had any problems with em.

twiggy
04-03-2006, 07:44 PM
I have the Logi z680's and they sound great! My friend has the Klipsch's 5.1 and they sound great too! lol

IMO the Klip's have more tweet to them and the Logi's have more bass(bass sounds "real" to me:hehe:). They both are great sets but I'm glad I got the Logi's.

Poly15
04-04-2006, 10:42 AM
lol looks like were split here. I am leaning towards the klipsch

Despotes
04-04-2006, 10:45 AM
Klipsch! haha

mnewxcv
04-04-2006, 11:10 AM
lol looks like were split here. I am leaning towards the klipsch

lol go to a best buy, compusa, circuit city, etc and see if they have any on display. They are both great sets, really YOU need to decide on preference.

en4cer
04-05-2006, 05:58 PM
BUY THE KLIPSCH

...and don't look back! :banana: :banana:

I have the Ultra 5.1's and the are the best set of speakers I've ever owned. I bought mine from Best Buy.

gr8golf
04-05-2006, 06:04 PM
Best Buy has had them on sale for a while too - and with the %10 coupons they are always floating you'll get them for a song.

physics_geek
04-05-2006, 07:41 PM
Klipsch has much better sound, but their amp and woofer tend to wrong after a year.

krille
04-06-2006, 12:23 AM
I have the Z-5500 myself, but I say go for the Klipsch. I've never heard the Klipsch, but I can tell you the humming and noise of the Z-5500 (especially sub woofer, but also the satellite speakers) is unendurable. I regret getting my Z-5500 but then this is just me.

Poly15
04-06-2006, 02:50 AM
Thanks, As soon as i move into my new house i will buy these klipsch.

JoeBar
04-06-2006, 11:36 AM
I have the Z-5500 myself, but I say go for the Klipsch. I've never heard the Klipsch, but I can tell you the humming and noise of the Z-5500 (especially sub woofer, but also the satellite speakers) is unendurable. I regret getting my Z-5500 but then this is just me.
Can u elaborate a bit on that? I was thinking of upgrading my Megaworks 550THX to Z-5500.

bullet2urbrain
04-06-2006, 12:27 PM
never have the humming noise EDIT:anymore, and logitech openly replaced my Z5500's when i had that noise.

boomy bass and lack of mids only complaint about the Z5500's to ME!!!!!!!!!!! they sound better than the Klipsch.

however if you want LOUD! which i most certainly did (college = needs to have loud system) then the Z5500's are sweet.

krille
04-08-2006, 12:06 AM
bullet2urbrain so you are saying I can RMA my Z-5500 and get rid of the humming buzzing noise from sub woofer as well the white noise from satellite speakers? I do have a year or so left on my warranty.

JoeBar as I said, my sub woofer emits this very loud humming and buzzing noise whenever it's on (that is, whenever it's PSU is on, the actual control panel can be off - no difference). In addition, the satellite speakers emit very loud white noise that only gets louder and louder the longer the system stays on. I always have to turn it off completely (not just control panel but also unplug PSU cable) whenever I'm not using it for it to go back to normal noise levels.

So this can be RMA'd and fixed?

krille
04-08-2006, 12:12 AM
Found this "Your Z-5500 Digital Speaker System exhibits line-power noise, in the form of popping." (http://logitech-en-emea.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/logitech_en_emea.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=3461&p_created=1143645117&p_sid=9IOG-u4i&p_lva=&p_sp=cF9zcmNoPTEmcF9zb3J0X2J5PSZwX2dyaWRzb3J0PSZwX 3Jvd19jbnQ9MTImcF9wcm9kcz04NDQsMTcsMCZwX2NhdHM9JnB fcHY9Mi4xNzszLnUwJnBfY3Y9JnBfc2VhcmNoX3R5cGU9YW5zd 2Vycy5zZWFyY2hfbmwmcF9wYWdlPTE*&p_li=&p_topview=1) on the Logitech support site. But I'm not sure if "popping" really describes my problem. It's insane humming low frequencies but very very disturbing. Also the speakers emit lots of white noise (gets worse and worse the longer they're on). Of course it's popping some from time to time, but not consistently.

JoeBar
04-08-2006, 03:18 AM
bullet2urbrain so you are saying I can RMA my Z-5500 and get rid of the humming buzzing noise from sub woofer as well the white noise from satellite speakers? I do have a year or so left on my warranty.

JoeBar as I said, my sub woofer emits this very loud humming and buzzing noise whenever it's on (that is, whenever it's PSU is on, the actual control panel can be off - no difference). In addition, the satellite speakers emit very loud white noise that only gets louder and louder the longer the system stays on. I always have to turn it off completely (not just control panel but also unplug PSU cable) whenever I'm not using it for it to go back to normal noise levels.

So this can be RMA'd and fixed?
Thanks for the info m8. Your prob seems very annoying though. U should rma it pronto!

mdzcpa
04-08-2006, 06:41 AM
I've had both and like the 5500s better :eek:

In fact, the amp in my Klipsch died after about a year. I had it fixed and sold them. They sounded great but I was disappointed about the amp croaking. The 5500s sound just as good IMO.

bullet2urbrain
04-08-2006, 08:08 AM
Krille, i had that same problem over a year ago and called Logitech and they sent me a new set, however their procedure has changed and now they require you to ship back the control pod from you "bad" set and they still send you a whole new set.

Good Luck, it doesnt hurt to call them as it was a known issue as you see.

Poly15
04-08-2006, 09:14 AM
Just found some Klipsch promedia's on sale NIB for $200 at bby so i bought em :)

gr8golf
04-08-2006, 11:34 AM
I told you that they had them priced well! That is awesome - we all paid $400 for ours. Let us know what you think after using them for a while. :woot:

krille
04-09-2006, 05:43 AM
Krille, i had that same problem over a year ago and called Logitech and they sent me a new set, however their procedure has changed and now they require you to ship back the control pod from you "bad" set and they still send you a whole new set.

Good Luck, it doesnt hurt to call them as it was a known issue as you see.Ok, I will try to RMA. If it really fixes the humming then I'd be truly delighted because sound quality is really good (compared to what else is available in same price range and 5.1). I will talk to them monday. :)

JoeBar
04-10-2006, 05:04 AM
Keep us updated.

krille
04-10-2006, 05:21 AM
Sure. Tried to call their technical support here in Sweden, but after waiting in a queue of unknown length some twenty minutes I got tired of waiting. I'll try to RMA it online (maybe through reseller) later tonight.

tdenton1138
04-10-2006, 06:47 PM
Greets all.

I own the Klipsch 5.1 (after having my 4.1s finally give up the ghost). I was - frankly- rather disappointed in the new 'tight' bass of the 5.1s. The 4.1s had a boomier bass which I much preferred for listening to most music. I've since gotten used to it and really like them.

AFAIK, you can stiil buy 'refurbs' direct from Klipsch. Give 'em a call if you're interested.

Tad

jinu117
04-11-2006, 09:33 PM
Heh, here is what I found... My sony MDR-v300 sounds worse than klipsche speakers... than I get Audio technica ath-900a and klipsche sounds worse. But for non audiophile grade I think klipsch seems to do more than what is needed :)

Poly15
04-15-2006, 12:25 PM
I just got the klipsch and i got a cheap little zalman 5.1 surround sound USB sound card and O MY GOD IT SOUNDS :banana::banana::banana::banana:ING AMAZING!!!! incredibly easy to setup and best sound i have ever heard!

elec999
04-15-2006, 05:19 PM
I think the Klipsch will offer better treble, and bass.
Thanks

cronic
04-15-2006, 06:28 PM
i like my z-5500's when i turn the bass down. very, very loud system

amd4me
04-15-2006, 07:12 PM
They are both great sets that have their advantages and disadvantages.
Listen to both , decide what you like.
I have the Z-5500's and love them.
But thats just me.

elec999
04-15-2006, 08:58 PM
Ya I totally agree, with the idea. You gotta test them out yourself.
Thanks

en4cer
04-16-2006, 06:36 AM
I just got the klipsch and i got a cheap little zalman 5.1 surround sound USB sound card and O MY GOD IT SOUNDS :banana::banana::banana::banana:ING AMAZING!!!! incredibly easy to setup and best sound i have ever heard!

Yet another very satasfied Klipsch customer, I knew you wouldn't be disappointed :D

yuckfou
05-08-2006, 05:04 PM
klipsch separates its tweeters and mids more efectively.

Edison Starfire
07-22-2006, 02:14 PM
I had a set of Klipsch 4.1's that had a weak scratchy sounding satellite. I always thought it to be a bad wire and couldn't easlily check it because they were hardwired.

I now have a set of 9 month old 5.1 Ultra's and a couple of weeks ago i started noticing the "zip" sound as some describe it in the right front satellite. This same satellite has weaker sound and is distorted. After switching the satellite out with another and then switching wires around it still comes from the same channel at all times. From what I can find out the amp is dying or is at least defective now. I'm thinking the same thing was wrong with the 4.1's I had.

I'm pretty disappointed to be honest and from a few stories I've read they are kinda slow about replacing/repairing RMA's. I bought them through newegg so I'm waiting on a reply back from them on if they will cross ship a set to me. I'll sell these cheap and buy a set of logitech's even tho the Klipsch sound better from most accounts.

Just thought i would share my experience with everyone. These things sound amazing or at least they did. lol

I loved them while they lasted :)

EneergE
07-23-2006, 02:45 AM
I have Klipsche Promedia Ultra 5.1 and they sound pretty good. If I blow any of my speakers, I already have a whole new set of them in the closet. I wish their was a way to link 2 of these systems together so I could get something like 10.2 surround sound or something. :p:

phelan1777
07-23-2006, 02:59 AM
this a decent deal for the:
Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002WPSBC/ref=nosim/002-4900928-5688801?n=172282

dum
07-23-2006, 05:27 AM
I have Klipsche Promedia Ultra 5.1 and they sound pretty good. If I blow any of my speakers, I already have a whole new set of them in the closet. I wish their was a way to link 2 of these systems together so I could get something like 10.2 surround sound or something. :p:

are they digital, you would have to hook them to an av reciever might be able to be done

Xefier
07-23-2006, 05:40 PM
I used to own the first big 400watt 4.1 logitech system that came out, forget the name of em, but they were nice, sold them to a friend 3 years ago, and they died last year.

I've since owned the Klispch 5.1s for 3 years and love em', I feel they are somewhat more precise with the highs as they have tweeters in their satellites, furthermore, i've had NO problems with them defect wise, everything is still running great today, my advice is just to not back the subwoofer's heatsink/metal plate side all the way to a wall and you should be fine.

FragTek
07-23-2006, 07:24 PM
My set of Klipsch 2.1's were awesome until the breakout box started going funky on me and would make a bad scratching noise through the speakers when adjusting the volume. It also had a problem with the input cable popping out from the back randomly. Other than that I think the actual sound quality when they were working properly was much better and more defined than my current set of Z-5500's. But, I love my Z-5500's and probably wouldnt trade them for a brand new spankin set of Klipsch's in fear of them having the minor issues like my last pair did that just bugged the piss out of me, paid good money for em too!

L'enFer
07-23-2006, 10:05 PM
did u hear Microlab AH-500D?

Sanborn
07-24-2006, 06:07 AM
My roommate had those Klipsch and they died after 5 months, but he got a new set no problem.

Personally, I think my 4.1 Logitech set (that I guess is comparable to the 5500) sounds better than his speakers. And he even has a better soundcard than I do. But again...its not my setup so who knows what he has done to it.

I'm getting the 5500 this winter.

Soulburner
07-24-2006, 03:15 PM
I've had my Klipsch 4.1 for almost 4 years and it's great, I wouldn't change it.

Astral Abyss
07-25-2006, 10:05 AM
I've had my original Klipsch 5.1s (non-ultra) for 4.5 years now and I still think they're the best sounding computer speakers. I bought them direct from Klipsch along with the steel telescoping stands they sell for my rear surround speakers. I couldn't be happier. I really like the clear sound these put out. Sometimes I listen to music on them instead of my home theater system just because of the clarity of the sound. I hope they last many more years.

The amp has survived power surges and brownouts/blackouts. I've never gone over 60 (usually keep it on 50 and just change volume in Windows) on the volume knob so maybe that's contributed to it's longevity.

While the Logitechs get louder, I don't think they produce a clearer sound and the sub on the Logitech systems (680, 5500, etc) is way too boomy for me. I don't understand the point of having to turn the sub almost all the way off to make it not overwhelm the rest of the system. I prefer a "kick" to my bass instead of a "boom". But that's personal preference over years of doing car audio and trying both ends of the spectrum. :)

Batman!
07-26-2006, 07:20 AM
Another vote for klipsch here. Satisified customer for 6 months and counting :D

古強者死神
08-24-2006, 02:33 PM
I did this research not long ago myself, after doing alot of googling and also finding some flaws in the Z's I decided the 5.1 Promedia Ultras were the way to go.

Looks like mostly everybody got the regular ones, but the Ultras are yet another step up.

Vengure
08-27-2006, 06:07 AM
While the Logitechs get louder, I don't think they produce a clearer sound and the sub on the Logitech systems (680, 5500, etc) is way too boomy for me. I don't understand the point of having to turn the sub almost all the way off to make it not overwhelm the rest of the system. I prefer a "kick" to my bass instead of a "boom". But that's personal preference over years of doing car audio and trying both ends of the spectrum. :)

Well personally I've listened to klipsch and logitech's I personally find the Z5500's and Creative gigaworks in more of the same league. The Klipsch are alright but with a digital hookup and using my sounds cards built in x over to tone down the sub a hair the system sounds amazing for the price.I've been doing high end car audio installs for a quite a long time car audio and home audio are very much different. I've listened to a high end home audio system worth over 20k reproduction was as good as you'll get but for us poor folks I'll personally like the logitechs but as you said people have much different preferences so its best to listen and judge for your self.