PDA

View Full Version : First posting. Just getting into OC'ing and WC'ing

Narmacil
03-31-2006, 07:36 AM
Hi, just wanted to say hello to everyone.

After a lurking a while i decided to get into the ring myself.

Having a heatercore intended for a WC setup, i needed to educate myself on watercooling. My girlfriend is into aquariums, so i figured i could use one of her pumps.
That was, until i learned about head and flow requirements...
The ONLY pump she has that is suitable is her main pump, a EHEIM 2260, @ 3.7 metres head and pumping 40 litres/min. No way is she letting me have that. :(

So it looks like my first setup will utilize a Waterchill 03-L-1224 pump/res.

I'm all new to this, so i would appreciate any good ideas for blocks suitable for my CPU and graphics card.

TIA. =)

creidiki
03-31-2006, 07:38 AM
Cant you get something more suitable?

Like a D5, 50Z or DDC-1 Plus? You should really invest in a good pump...

moonlightcheese
03-31-2006, 07:43 AM
Cant you get something more suitable?

Like a D5, 50Z or DDC-1 Plus? You should really invest in a good pump...
well since he's in europe it may be more difficult to acquire one. i believe overclockers.co.uk will have more suitable pumps for you Narm and will have them somewhat locally.

and welcome to the WC community! :thumbsup:

EDIT: nevermind... they don't have any of the parts you are lookin for. however, visit the watercooling store sticky that MaxxxRacer has at the top of this forum and you should find your desired setup with ease.

creidiki
03-31-2006, 07:47 AM
over-clock.com - D5, storm, loads stuff
extremeprometeia.com - 50Z, MP-1, MP-05
alphacool.de - DDC-1 Plus & Plexi-top

checking the stickyes ftw...

Narmacil
03-31-2006, 11:03 AM
Thanks guys, doing the best with what i got ;)

Looking at blocks now, might get some cheapies at first, then upgrade as i feel more "into it" if you will..
Not TOO cheap tho' :D
I managed to run a 11450 score in 3dMark2005 on my current setup using only stock air coolers.
Used Abit's overclocking utility to run the CPU to 216 MHz X 11 @ 1.4500 volts, and Catalyst to let me run the video card up to specs.

Tried to push the cpu further, running the cpu @ 2.5GHz it actually ran worse in 3dMark2005, 10300 points.
I can get the info if u want, i was puzzled at the lower score..
Also i saw pretty high temps on my XTX, 92c... The temp dial in catalyst showed 92c as 60% of what the card allowed(!) I wasn't even into the red bit yet.. Dunno how much i should trust that dial anymore :P

Anyways, good to be here where i can learn more :)

moonlightcheese
03-31-2006, 11:08 AM
Looking at blocks now, might get some cheapies at first, then upgrade as i feel more "into it" if you will..
Not TOO cheap tho' :D
i generally frown upon this kind of action as i have wasted probably close to 600 USD on excess WC parts. a water setup is an investment that you don't want to change. if you get the best, you will not have to upgrade for a very long time; probably never. do it right the first time. and the first time will be your last.

creidiki
03-31-2006, 11:14 AM
No, 90c+ on XTXs is quite normal. My load temps dropper from 91c to 37c with h2o. Quality on the stock ATI coolers has dropped to rock bottom.

If you want good stuff but on a budget, these are my suggestions - since youre in the EU.

Pump: AquaXtreme 50Z or DDC-1 Plus with plexi-top (this is important, only with the plexi-top and using the top barb as inlet it becomes equivalent to a 50Z or D5) - whichever is cheaper. D5 is also good but v hard to get a hold of in the EU/UK atm.

CPU: MP-05 Pro LE, or NexXxos XP. Id go for the MP-05, but the NexXxos is a v good block also, and at a very competitive price - just dont buy any other nexxxos blocks.

GPU: Maze 4 Standard Profile or MP-1. Equivalent, whichever you can get cheaper.

Radiator: Cooltek Extreme. Same stuff swiftech sells, better than BIP and at a great price in europe.

Some Yate Loon D12SL-12 from fleebay germany (8.52€ each plus like 5€ shipping).

7/16 masterkleer, a t-piece.

Narmacil
03-31-2006, 11:57 AM
Ok, sounds good.

This is the heater core i have btw:

http://www.figenschau.com/HC/size.JPG

http://www.figenschau.com/HC/width.JPG

All measurements in mm.

creidiki
03-31-2006, 12:19 PM
Have fun building a shroud for it.

You REALLY want a good 12v pump (or 2) with that kind of rad.

Narmacil
03-31-2006, 12:29 PM
I'm a welder and have access to both a lathe for cutting my own blocks if i wanted to, and thin-sheet steel/alu plates and can make a shroud as easy as that. If it's made of metal, i can make it.
I was even thinking of knocking out a all-alu case, cut the details in our plasma rig and bend it in our press.
That would look über sweet :D

Edit, what kind of numbers would you suggest for a pump for that rad?

Danger30Q
03-31-2006, 12:30 PM
If you have the money, make the best investment and buy the best stuff you can. Find that sweet spot between price vs. performance. I haven't ordered any of my WC parts yet b/c I'm spending a lot of time getting advice from all these WC gurus. Don't rush the purchases even though it's tempting. I keep finding new stuff out each day in this forum that I would have regreted if I bought everything early.

MaxxxRacer
03-31-2006, 01:34 PM
An informed buyer is a happy buyer!

creidiki
03-31-2006, 01:53 PM
Youre gonna want an iwaki stormtrooper or 2 12v pumps to make the most of something like that, esp as its gonna have to be externally mounted unless you make an uber case mod - that adds a lot of extra tubing.

Iwakis are generally prohibitively expensive in the EU as the shoddy motors of the american versions dont pass our laws and technically illegal - though theyre not impossible to get a hold of. Meaning youre stuck to the japanese engined ones which are something of a 10-year plan investment.

2 50Zs @ 13.8v or 2 modded DDC-1 Pluses using the top barb if you cant get an MD-20 at a sane price.

On the plus side, if you manage to make a nice shroud, you could use some really large & quiet fans - theres a guy on fleebay who sells 140mm Yate Loon in both Low, Medium and High speed versions... 4 of those in push-pull with a nice fat shroud sounds yummy to me :D

Narmacil
03-31-2006, 02:00 PM
Youre gonna want an iwaki stormtrooper or 2 12v pumps to make the most of something like that, esp as its gonna have to be externally mounted unless you make an uber case mod - that adds a lot of extra tubing.

Ok, does it look that restrictive to you? 8 tubes in two rows. Dunno how restrictive it is, but it's what i've got atm. I'd like to build upon it, as it would fit nicely into the side of my case. Hope i can use it. =)

Thanks for kind words and critisism, i need all the feedback and support i can get, both ways :)

edit: does the internal capacity of the rad have any significance? If so, i can measure it and have it up in 2 minutes for you.

creidiki
03-31-2006, 02:13 PM
Its not *that* restrictive, but the tubes are nice and fat, and it *is* big. So you want a nice powerful pump to keep up good flow and pressure and make the most of it.

Looks like you could build a nice rig around it, though i cant claim to be any expert in rads ;p

With something that size, and keeping with the 4 140mm Yate Loon (because i know the stats well) fans in push-pull you can do:

4x D14SL-12, 46CFM, 25dBA - Same airflow as silent 120mm fans, less noise, and 4 of them will keep up good static pressure accross that thing. Will cool probably like a PA120.2 with comparable 120mm fans.
4x D14SM-12, 62CFM, 29dBA - slightly more noise than silent 120mm fans, 40% more airflow. Id guesstimate this would cool like a good triple rad.
4x D14SH-12, 140CFM, 48.5dBA - extreme airflow and cooling, real XtremeSystems stuff here.

Narmacil
03-31-2006, 02:26 PM
Lol, speaking of CFM... The carburator on my - 70 Camaro is 750 CFM, lol... :D
The heater core is from that car :D

creidiki
03-31-2006, 02:28 PM
Hehehe. It looks a bit beatup, what did you do, wrap it round a tree?

Narmacil
03-31-2006, 02:39 PM
The core? Nah, it was like that when i got my hands on it..

creidiki
03-31-2006, 02:45 PM
Well, try to straighten the fins out before using it - cant hurt :)

Delirious
03-31-2006, 02:47 PM
Honestly i think you would be better off if you got a better heater core, or better yet a purpose built radiator along the lines of a Black ice xtreme/pro. Or even better a thermochill radiator, they should be cheaper for you as they are based in the UK.

like everyone else said, get the best first, i dont want to think of how much i have wasted buying "ok" stuff.

eXa
03-31-2006, 04:44 PM
sounds a little silly too use a lot of money on an iwaki pump and not have the money for a proper radiator!
or wait... if you bought an iwaki, it would make sense that you cant afford a radiator! :p:

eXa
03-31-2006, 05:02 PM
On the plus side, if you manage to make a nice shroud, you could use some really large & quiet fans - theres a guy on fleebay who sells 140mm Yate Loon in both Low, Medium and High speed versions... 4 of those in push-pull with a nice fat shroud sounds yummy to me :D

ot: can you give me a link to fleebay? ive tried searching but cant find it!:confused:
everybody talks about fleebay, and i want too be in the gang too!

edit: Doh! your just talking about ebay?

Delirious
03-31-2006, 06:27 PM
ot: can you give me a link to fleebay? ive tried searching but cant find it!:confused:
everybody talks about fleebay, and i want too be in the gang too!

edit: Doh! your just talking about ebay?

LMAO! ................sorry

ReD.SkY
03-31-2006, 11:21 PM
roflmao.... that was great lol

eXa
04-01-2006, 01:47 AM
:doh: :brick:

:wasntme:

Narmacil
04-01-2006, 02:29 AM
Someone could use that in a sig you know ;)

Sikkert best å fjerne det;)

eXa
04-01-2006, 02:47 AM
haha yeah probably...

bæsja på leggen der ja!

creidiki
04-01-2006, 05:20 AM
Thats true about the cash but... that rad is just cool :D

And... lol. Just... lol XD