PDA

View Full Version : 3ghz!

bender222
03-29-2006, 04:35 PM
I was delighted to find out that my proccesor , that i have not used since i bought it 4 months ago, is a "golden sample" i have a swiftech storm/pa160 calibre water cooling already assembeled. i also have a kit of 2gbHZ from gskill aswell. so all i need to do is grab a motherboard and a pci-E videocard. I really dont require sli or crossfire. i just need help choosing the right motherboard. I only want to get 3 ghz, if i can acheive that then im done ( you can stick a fork in me ) Ive been bouncing around between alot of chipsets. ive had the dfi nf4 series recomended to me ( they are great but then I am worried about the pwm temps that many complain about with a dual core near 3 ghz).the asus a8n32 seems to not have that problem due to its 8 phase power, but i have been told that it is not ideal for doing what i want. Ive also looked at the rd580 boards, i just cant wait for the manufacturers that have not already released their boards ( i can probobly wait until about April 11th-12th). ive also been recomended the sapphire rd480. i just dont know which to choose. can i really have a debate on which to get?

bender222
03-30-2006, 04:50 PM
Did i Type in spanish or something?

madgravity34
03-30-2006, 05:00 PM
I would go with an Ultra-D mainly because it is a proven platform and the nvidia chipsets are much faster than ATI's when it comes to single-card benching. Also, just use a fan over the PWN to keep temps down. Thats about it.

flashnc
03-30-2006, 05:13 PM
bender222....

your lack of respnose may be due to your "thread discription"..

it would suggest in my opinion, that you have a cpu that "has already done 3ghz" on a system that is already in operation, not someone asking for advice on a motherboard recommendation.... 3GHZ! that i would personally reserve saying in that way for a cpu that normally wouldnt be expexcted to do 3GHZ..

so now to a MB recomendation,,,,,

first off...what is that "golden sample" anyways???? a 3200+? a 3500+ 4000+ get my drift.....is it an opty 144 that will need 300+ HT ???? or a 170 dual core???

we need to know what your intended HT overclock will be ...

so a safe bet ..for thre very highest possible HT..id say DFI ( if you want to deal with flashing bioses, memory concerns etc...

the Sapphire grouper board is a very sweet overclocking board and very ez to work with, good for over 300HT signifcantly.

the MSI Diamond Plus overclocks very good to 300HT but after that it requires serious memory tweaking, but is a very stable, very user friendly board, @ 1:1 ddr400 up to about ddr533-570 speeds....

and nope...wasnt in spanish... ;)

pcdoc1
03-30-2006, 05:41 PM
.... nvidia chipsets are much faster than ATI's when it comes to single-card benching.Yeah right....you're out to lunch, how was it? :)

bender222
03-30-2006, 07:26 PM
i should have been a little less cryptic. My proccesor is a opteron 170 0530tpmw, It is batch number 30, someone here told me that was really good. I am asking this cause it doesnt seem to me that alot of opterons besides the 0550's reach 3 ghz on anything other than phase or the likes ( yes, i know there are a few ones that can do it and I am aware that having a low batch number means that mine just might do it aswell but im not sure) Most of the 0530s that arent at 3ghz fall just short of it and claim that the board has something to do with it ( whether it be pwm temperatures getting too high or something else) I find that I would like the "grouper" boards but things like incorrect voltage readings and faulty usb bother me a little.as far as graphics go Id really have to go with Ati based on image quality but i doubt the videocard would make any impact on my decision. I find that to be really content on a selection i need to be convinced that any shortcomings are easily remedied or shrugged off and i dont want to be held up by the motherboard.
I dont really need to run hight htt speeds, 300 is really all i need to obtain what i want