PDA

View Full Version : SK-7 performing poorly

Fabs
02-07-2003, 10:26 AM
Little info. on my rig before I get to the problem.

Running a 1.4 T-Bird, 512 ram, GeForce4 Ti4200. I have two fans in my case, neither are top of the line but are doing their job. One blowing in at the front, one blowing out at the back. Currently case temp is 20/21 celcius.

So I got a Thermalright SK-7 yesterday, a Panaflo HI fan and a tube of arctic silver 3. Put it all together, heatsink is on properly, thin even spread of AS3, fan attached to the heatsink and plugged in.

Currently sitting at 52 celcius and all I have is internet explorer running. If I start up a game it'll fly up to 60.

Now I know the T-Bird is a hot chip, but I was using a volcano 6cu before I installed all this and running at 49 celcius idle. I'd figure on better, not worse results. Have posted to a couple forums already for suggestions. Thought I'd see what input I might get here.

felix88
02-07-2003, 11:48 AM
Fabs, WELCOME TO XTREME!!

anyway, you may want to try reseating the HSF. make sure you've got the clip on correctly(this was a problem with the SK6, it was easy to put the clip on backwards).

did you change anything else other than the heatsink and the fan?

Fabs
02-07-2003, 12:06 PM
I've actually done it 3 times now and this is the best I've got it. Its resting right on the cpu, not hanging over at either side. And the clip was already installed in the heatsink when I got it if thats what you mean. I had the fan backwards initially with the label up, switched it when I felt the air off the fan so its label down now. Anyways the fan was definitely pushing a fair bit of air so I don't think thats a problem as has been suggested on another forum.

Aside from putting another stick of ram in the computer the other day it hasn't changed since the first day I built the thing.

felix88
02-07-2003, 07:47 PM
well, make sure the clip is mounted so it puts pressure directly over the core. the SK6 had a clip that would fit either way, but it worked best when it was mounted correctly.

as long as the fan is blowing onto the heatsink, i wouldn't think that would be a problem.

how smooth is the base of the HS?

Fabs
02-07-2003, 07:56 PM
Well this one I believe can mount both ways, but right now I'm pretty sure its right. If I were to put it the other way you'd see the end of the cpu on one side.

The heatsink is pretty smooth already, very fine lines through the bottom.

felix88
02-07-2003, 08:44 PM
the clip running through the center of the heatsink should be slightly bent. is the point contacting the heatsink aligned with the core of the CPU?

what kind of fan are you running? have you tried using the fan from your V6cu?

Fabs
02-08-2003, 06:37 AM
Yes, theres nothing wrong with the clip on the heatsink.
The fan is a Panaflo HI, 40 cfm.

Smizack
02-08-2003, 03:31 PM
Originally posted by Fabs
Yes, theres nothing wrong with the clip on the heatsink.
The fan is a Panaflo HI, 40 cfm.

Right, there's nothing wrong with it. But what he's saying is there are 2 ways the clip can be put on it.

1. With the indention of the clip directly over the core, and
2. With the indention of the clip to the side of the core.

He's talking about just the silver clip. Not the whole hsf.