PDA

View Full Version : RAID 0, or RAID 1?

YanBooth
03-28-2006, 10:05 AM
Hello,
I am having some computer issues, so I am going to be reformatting in an hour or two, and I was wondering whether you would advise me to continue using a RAID0 config, or go to a RAID1 configuration for my two 74GB Raptor's. I am going to be reformatting again, when I get my G80, on a Raptor X... I don't know if that matters at all, but it is just a thought.

Thanks,

Yan

nn_step
03-28-2006, 10:56 AM
well if you are worried about protecting your DATA Raid1
but you probably are more worried about performance.. and in that Case I would suggest Raid0

YanBooth
03-28-2006, 11:04 AM
OK, raid 0 it is... I was just looking for a second opinion. besides... with 30gb's of music and games... and my 120gb more than 1/2 full, its not a bad idea

thanks again... and be back later... its gonna be a long day, lol

fhpchris
03-28-2006, 11:30 AM
well if you are worried about protecting your DATA Raid1
but you probably are more worried about performance.. and in that Case I would suggest Raid0

If you only have 30gb of data to store, run Raid1.

I have lost 500+gb of data from one dead HDD in raid 0 :(

nn_step
03-28-2006, 11:36 AM
If you only have 30gb of data to store, run Raid1.

I have lost 500+gb of data from one dead HDD in raid 0 :(
rule of thumb:
(you might want to write this down)
Raid0 is only USED FOR PERFORMANCE
Raid1 is only USED FOR MAXIMUM SAFETY
Raid5 is to be used for EVERYTHING ELSE
Any question?

uOpt
03-28-2006, 01:17 PM
Uh, this is no good.

Everytime a user asks whether they should use RAID-0 or RAID-1 it is instant proof that they don't know what they are doing and should not use RAID, much less that crappy BIOS-supported SATA RAID and similar semi-software RAIDs.

In any case, performance-wise RAID-1 will be faster than RAID-0 for a boot/root filesystem if you are smart enough to move $TEMP off of it, and if the software works optimal (no chance with SATA RAID).