PDA

View Full Version : Help With Kingston Hyper X

pulverizer
02-06-2003, 08:33 PM
Hello,
I just got a 512 MB stick of the Kingston Hyper X 3500 memory today. I was running a stick of Corsair XMS3200 c2.5 at 400MHz, with settings of 2.5, 3, 3, 7, at 2.8 volts. This new stuff will not even do that. I have my FSB at 160MHz, and if I use the 4:5 divider, I cannot run my system stabily with this kingston stuff. No matter how much voltage I put into it or how relaxed the timings are, I can not even use Windows for a couple minutes before it reboots itself. This did not happen with the Corsair. Am I missing something or is this memory not supposed to run at anything close to 400MHz. Do I need to burn it in before it runs at stock speeds(these are 5ns chips, they should do at least 400) I really appreciate the help as I am not too happy so far with the memory, as it is worse right now then the corsair I already have. Please Help me. :mad:

Crazymofo
02-07-2003, 05:26 AM
That mem should run 216 no problem, did you get it from newegg? I'm not sure what you can do but it does take burn in with some sticks according to OPP....

pulverizer
02-07-2003, 08:49 AM
Yeah I got it from newegg. Any suggestions on burning it in, like for how long. I would like to know how long because the sooner I know if its good or bad, the sooner I can return it. Hopefully I can get this all worked out.

TheDude
02-07-2003, 10:55 AM
I have actually booted with my 2x256hyper 3500 at 450....I had been running it slower for about a month before that...still runs at well over 400 with no probs....all timimgs tight 5222 cas2 voltage 2.7....it's probably the best ram I've ever had.

pulverizer
02-07-2003, 11:27 AM
Ok, just to make sure nothing strange was going on with other components, I put the Corsair back in, and it still runs fine at 400MHz. Now I would hope that even if I got a bad stick of kingston ram, it would at least do that, because it does have 5ns chips on it. I also tried all 3 slots with the kingston, and all three will get me into windows, but after a couple second it automatically reboots. There is definately something funny with this ram, hopefully I can figure it out. Also, theDude, you have 256MB sticks which are probably able to clock higher than a 512MB stick, whick is what I have. However, I still think I should be able to run the Hyper X at least at 400MHz. Thanks for the help, I will greatly appreciate any suggestions that help me resolve this problem.

pulverizer
02-08-2003, 11:00 PM
I really think I need to RMA this stuff. :mad:
I have done some burning in, and using it for a few days, and it still will not even do 400MHz at any settings. If I do RMA, do you think I will have the same trouble? Is this a problem with the ram or with my mobo?? My corsair works just fine for me, so I don;t know. If anyone has any insight on this before I RMA it for another stick, please feel free to tell me. Thank you. :D

pulverizer
02-10-2003, 03:12 PM
OK, after burning it in for the weekend, It still would not go at acceptable speeds. I RMA'd it back to newegg, hopefully the one they replace it with will work better, if it does not it must be an incompatability with my mobo. I'll keep you updated.

Nohto
02-10-2003, 05:39 PM
What voltage were you using? Mine doesn't use near the voltage some of the Corsair used.

pulverizer
02-10-2003, 06:08 PM
I tried all the voltages my board offerers, from 2.5-2.8. All gave me the same result.