PDA

View Full Version : Raid 0 for Gaming

AP0ll0UK
03-23-2006, 11:56 AM
I currently have one 36GB Raptor but I was thinking of maybe introducing a second and running them in Raid 0 to hopefully boost my loading times especially whilst gaming.

My question is will it make a noticable difference to my system?

Jamo
03-23-2006, 12:13 PM
I currently have one 36GB Raptor but I was thinking of maybe introducing a second and running them in Raid 0 to hopefully boost my loading times especially whilst gaming.

My question is will it make a noticable difference to my system?

hell yes, once i went raid 0, never looked back, i would estimate doom 3 loaded a level in about 65 - 70% of the time it takes on 1 drive (although i didnt exactly time it but the difference is easily noticable thoughout system performace)

BTW this is on crappy WD 160gb SATA's, my first thing on list for next build - a nice couple of sata2 drives or maybe 3 and raid 5 that bad boy, depends if the motherboard i choose supports it :)

nn_step
03-23-2006, 12:49 PM
yes it will be noticable, but It wont be huge..

AP0ll0UK
03-23-2006, 04:12 PM
hell yes, once i went raid 0, never looked back, i would estimate doom 3 loaded a level in about 65 - 70% of the time it takes on 1 drive (although i didnt exactly time it but the difference is easily noticable thoughout system performace)

BTW this is on crappy WD 160gb SATA's, my first thing on list for next build - a nice couple of sata2 drives or maybe 3 and raid 5 that bad boy, depends if the motherboard i choose supports it :)

Hi Jamo, how are things with you? You originally helped me spec the right chip and ram for my system about this time last year. I ended up with a Venice 3500 as I couldn't get a 3200 anywhere. I didn't have that for very long before the trend picked up with the Opterons late last year so I got one of them and thats where I'm at now. The reason for asking about Raid is that I've seen a few drives going on ebay and thought I might pick one up and see what it was like but I was looking for some sound advice of which you always seem to have plenty :D

I'll be picking one up and getting it into Raid 0 as soon as I can :D

Thanks again!

Jamo
03-24-2006, 09:28 AM
Hi Jamo, how are things with you? You originally helped me spec the right chip and ram for my system about this time last year. I ended up with a Venice 3500 as I couldn't get a 3200 anywhere. I didn't have that for very long before the trend picked up with the Opterons late last year so I got one of them and thats where I'm at now. The reason for asking about Raid is that I've seen a few drives going on ebay and thought I might pick one up and see what it was like but I was looking for some sound advice of which you always seem to have plenty :D

I'll be picking one up and getting it into Raid 0 as soon as I can :D

Thanks again!

thanks man, oh yeah i remember now lol, i didnt before you mentioned it :slap: but yeah things are good thanks, good to hear you going to try it i can prety much 99% guarentee you'll love it, not the best solution for piece of mind (ie if one of the drives craps out) but is a good performance solution. i am looking into raid 5 next, as this offers the best performance/ data security solution but it does require a minimum of 3 drives as well as a motherboard/pci card that supports it

glad to hear you've gone the opteron route in fact as it happens i'm currently working on a deal from a friend for his 144 and neo 2 :) this should put me on until AM2/conroe, when i expect that will be my next system build from scratch

anyways, instead of using this as our own personal chatroom, hit me up on msn if you'd like a chat :)

icon57
03-24-2006, 09:32 AM
agreed, one you go raid...there is no going back!