PDA

View Full Version : Flash Memory, Microdrives, Whats Next?

Judaeus Apella
03-22-2006, 11:42 PM
I remember back when I started seeing CF cards for the first time, and then SD got popular some years later and after that there was mini and micro SD. There are others like xD and multimedia. I didn't even find out how much faster Memory Stick Pros are, and have been, until just recently. Now microdrives are popular, mostly in MP3 players. So, I was wondering. What’s next? What's the next gadget they're going to use for memory storage in mobile electronics, in the form of removable cards/sticks? Anyone heard anything, or read anything? I was reading about all the different MP3 players available now and got curious. :)

nn_step
03-23-2006, 08:52 AM
optical storage :rolleyes:

OmegaMerc
03-23-2006, 06:40 PM
I think Sony over heard this convo as they re-released the mini disc in Euro.:p:

dssconsumer
03-23-2006, 07:01 PM
samsung will release solid state harddrives this year for lap-tops with transfer rates equal to raptor (10000 rpm) 8-16 gb capacity and 5% power consumption than the current travelstar for example.

Judaeus Apella
03-25-2006, 10:23 PM
I remember reading something about holographic storage.... what about that? Doesn't some company have a working model or something?

nn_step
03-25-2006, 10:31 PM
I remember reading something about holographic storage.... what about that? Doesn't some company have a working model or something?
Correct but it costs more than Tape..