PDA

View Full Version : iPod/iTunes questions

K.I.T.T.
03-20-2006, 08:54 AM
Finally decided to spend some money on something not PC-related :p:

Am ordering a 30 GB iPod video and a bunch of CDs later on. Just a quick question regarding iTunes. I've ripped all my CDs already and play tracks using WMP with the tracks in their respective folders in my documents>my music. Will i be able to use the same folders to trasfer the music though iTunes to my iPod or will i have to start from scratch? Also, i tunes wont mess up the "my music" folder will it?

Vapor
03-20-2006, 09:06 AM
iTunes won't like the WMPs so it'll recode those to their lossless codec.

And no, you can leave your music folder alone and it'll play nice :) (or you can have it all sorted for you by iTunes :banana: )

K.I.T.T.
03-20-2006, 09:24 AM
no you missed my point...WMP = windows media player, not WMA. All my Tracks are in MP3 format. So I can directly use MP3s from the folders theyre in without rearranging them? Thanks Vapor :)

Vapor
03-20-2006, 09:28 AM
Oh, even better then!

Yeah, it'll leave your folder system perfectly intact if you tell it to (I think that's the default setting).

[XC] leviathan18
03-20-2006, 09:44 AM
but i think when you want to pass the music to your ipod the itunes changes it?

from mp3 to something for the ipod or im wrong i also want to know this because my gf is going to give me a nano ipod

K.I.T.T.
03-20-2006, 11:33 AM
but i think when you want to pass the music to your ipod the itunes changes it?

from mp3 to something for the ipod or im wrong i also want to know this because my gf is going to give me a nano ipod
So iPod does not natively use the MP3 format? :confused:

don_vercetti
03-20-2006, 01:33 PM
of course it does. You just have to tell itunes to have the default codec as MP3 rather than AAC.

K.I.T.T.
03-20-2006, 02:26 PM
of course it does. You just have to tell itunes to have the default codec as MP3 rather than AAC.
Ah. Cheers Marcus :)

antipop
03-22-2006, 01:13 AM
When you charge your ipod, itunes doesn't change the format. If it's a mp3 it'll stay as a mp3, if it's AAC it stays as a AAC and so on. You'll have to recode your WMA and OGG though (there is a trick to play OGG but never tried it).

For the folders, there is an option in itunes you need to uncheck. When you launch itunes for the first time, it'll ask you if you want itunes to reorganize your folders, just say no