PDA

View Full Version : Got my New Intel Mini

Paul Stamatiou
03-19-2006, 11:41 PM
I just got my intel mac mini this weekend and wrote about my first impressions here

http://paulstamatiou.com/2006/03/19/first-impressions-intel-mac-mini/

It's a Core Solo w/ SD rig, but I plan to upgrade to a Core Duo in 2-3 months when I can afford the 2ghz duo. I ripped it open and upgraded to 2gigs of ram and replaced the hard drive with a 7200rpm 80gigger.

antipop
03-20-2006, 12:14 AM
Have you tried the minin before swapping the hdd? Is it performing better now?

I got the same one, solo + SD and 1gb of ram and i find it a really cool little machine and since i game only on xbox and ps2, it perfectly suits my need

antipop
03-20-2006, 12:36 AM
I spotted two minor errors : UB is for both Intel and PPC machines and there is a resume function on frontrow not only for DVD but for movie too.
Otherswise it was a nice read

Paul Stamatiou
03-20-2006, 11:24 AM
Thanks for catching those... I hadn't proof read it yet.

elec999
03-21-2006, 08:59 PM
I am just curious if you purchase the single core version, can it be upgraded to dual core later on.Its also funny that you say that this mac mini intel version is louder then the louder mac minis. Apple claims they are whisper quiet, and even more quiet then the old g4 mac minis.
Thanks

bigval
03-21-2006, 11:29 PM
I've always wanted one but have ended up spending my money on other things, like my main PC lol. Yes, the solo can be upgraded to a duo processor. Thats a nice little rig for sure, although I dont think its really worth adding another gig of ram if you arent gaming.

antipop
03-22-2006, 12:11 AM
I've always wanted one but have ended up spending my money on other things, like my main PC lol. Yes, the solo can be upgraded to a duo processor. Thats a nice little rig for sure, although I dont think its really worth adding another gig of ram if you arent gaming.
512Mb of ram is clearly not enough for tiger, it's even more noticeable with a laptop hard drive. 1gb is the minimun you should have

[XC] moddolicous
03-23-2006, 05:41 PM
Nice article Paul Stamatiou. Like someone said in their posts, you should run xbench to see how it compares to a stock one. BTW, antipop, ygpm.

hicookie
04-25-2006, 09:57 AM
impressive! i will try mine mac mini upgrade!lol