PDA

View Full Version : Is it possible to install wondows on an xbox 360?

x800pro6
03-15-2006, 06:15 PM
i was wondering if its possible to install an Operating system on an xbox or xbox 360?

because i wouldent mind having 128 piplines on my PC.

thank you for your thoughts

[XC] Lead Head
03-15-2006, 06:26 PM
i was wondering if its possible to install an Operating system on an xbox or xbox 360?

because i wouldent mind having 128 piplines on my PC.

thank you for your thoughts

128 pipelines?

You can load Linux onto the xbox but i dunno where you got 128 pipes

Jarrod1937
03-15-2006, 07:51 PM
you can on the original xbox, but the xbox 360 i believe has better security/copyright protection systems in place and i don't think have been cracked just yet.
either way, why...?
linux is slower and atleast with the original xbox never really gave much more usability, you could still use emu's, backed up games, video's...etc with just a hacked bios. however i guess if you really want to just wait untill someone cracks the xbox 360... unless you want to try it yourself ;)

x800pro6
03-16-2006, 02:03 AM
how is it possible to install windows xp on a normal xbox?? any links??

and i herd that the xbox 360 has 128piplines

thank you

[XC] Lead Head
03-16-2006, 06:20 AM
You can't install winXP on the xbox as far as I know, only certain special Xbox linux distros work on it

The xbox 360 has 48 unified shader pipes, Even if you managed to get Windows running on it, you would need Direct X 10 to utilize the GPU

x800pro6
03-16-2006, 03:47 PM
You can't install winXP on the xbox as far as I know, only certain special Xbox linux distros work on it

The xbox 360 has 48 unified shader pipes, Even if you managed to get Windows running on it, you would need Direct X 10 to utilize the GPU
does the xbox 360 use direct x10, whats wrond with installing DX9, ad what about Windows vista, that come with DX10.

[XC] Lead Head
03-16-2006, 04:20 PM
The xbox's gpu is a cross between DX9 and DX10, Windows Vista, or any version of windows for that matter just won't work on either of the xboxs, their architectures are too different from PCs to work correctly with windows.

Jarrod1937
03-17-2006, 12:41 PM
The xbox's gpu is a cross between DX9 and DX10, Windows Vista, or any version of windows for that matter just won't work on either of the xboxs, their architectures are too different from PCs to work correctly with windows.
not really, the processor is still your average processor but with 3 cores, while the gpu is different someone could simply dump the bios of the 360 and analyze it to build thier own drivers if you wanted to run windows omn it. although i'm not saying all of this would be easy (since they have thier harddrives locked and have a completly different file system...) but it is possible. the question again is, why? the xbox 360 has a lack of ram and win xp and vista require a lot, secondly it just wouldn't have a purpose.
however if you;'re talking about the first xbox then its a flat out no, only because the original xbxo does not have near the amount of jhardware resources needed to even be possible to run windows... (i guess it is possible but you couldn't do much).

KarateBob
04-07-2006, 04:12 PM
The XBox 360's processor isn't x86 based (or Alpha based,) it's PowerPC-based. It won't run Windows, period. Although Linux would definitely be a possibility in the future.

[XC] Lead Head
04-07-2006, 05:35 PM
not really, the processor is still your average processor but with 3 cores, while the gpu is different someone could simply dump the bios of the 360 and analyze it to build thier own drivers if you wanted to run windows omn it. although i'm not saying all of this would be easy (since they have thier harddrives locked and have a completly different file system...) but it is possible. the question again is, why? the xbox 360 has a lack of ram and win xp and vista require a lot, secondly it just wouldn't have a purpose.
however if you;'re talking about the first xbox then its a flat out no, only because the original xbxo does not have near the amount of jhardware resources needed to even be possible to run windows... (i guess it is possible but you couldn't do much).

What are you talking about, i ran WinXP with 64MB ram and 233Mhz Pentium. I could browse the web, run AIM,yahoo,MSN and play starcraft. What more could you need:p:

Jarrod1937
04-08-2006, 08:38 AM
as i said "(i guess it is possible but you couldn't do much)...."
i actually ran windows xp on a 133 mhz cpu, 32 mb of ram, an 8 gig 5400 rpm drive with a isa 56 k modem! it ran quite slow though, as you would expect.
and yeah. KarateBob, i forgot about that, in which case it would be possible but only through emulation which would then make it all pretty much pointless (as far as running windows goes).

Newblar
05-02-2006, 07:59 AM
ppl just want a 400$ pc with 3 cores and a decent video card.

r3w4
05-02-2006, 02:13 PM
Screw Windows, I want a hacked bios so I can backup games.

[XC] Lead Head
05-02-2006, 05:02 PM
the xBox 360 uses a PPC CPU, so if anything you would want to try a PPC based *nix distro