PDA

View Full Version : Server help

metro.cl
03-15-2006, 01:16 PM
hey guys i'm a complete newbie regarding servers, now i need a better hosting/housing for our site.

we currently run on:

celeron 2.4
512MB

that is just for us and is really slow we have 60gb of montlhy bandwidth.

So first alternative is:

netfirms.com (thanks fugger)
http://www.netfirms.com/web-hosting-advantage-compare

but the problem is that they user clusters and i dont know how to compare performance with a normal pc for our hosting, we can pay the best plan easily (usd 180 a year) but a dedicated server is harder is costs 100usd montlhy.

Could any one help me?

Serra
03-16-2006, 10:31 AM
I'd say just take the plan and be happy with it. Unless you're doing a lot of server-side processing, the performance isn't really an issue. You can run a web server with VERY little in terms of hardware.

Besides, the idea behind using user clustering is that no one site generally comes close to taxing a machine.. making a dedicated computer pretty well pointless in the vast majority of cases (a statement I maintain because there are a lot more crappy personal web pages than there are real high-traffic business sites out there).

Anyway, final result: you should be fine. If you could run off a celeron with 512mb of RAM... you'll be fine. Your personal hosting system was probably held in check as much by your upload speed as much as anything else, and I'd bet these guys have a fair bit of bandwidth.

Serra