PDA

View Full Version : How to build a voltage controlled resistor?

andersson.j
03-12-2006, 04:41 PM
I have a MAAS SPS-9400 3-15V 40A PSU that I use to power my peltiers. It's an external PSU regulated with a potentimeter.

The potentiometer is a 10 kOhm CTS UM 296RE (http://www.ctscorp.com/components/Datasheets/296.pdf) which varies the resistance between three wires, non of them connected to ground. It's never exposed to more than 12V.

I'm gonna mount the PSU inside my P180 SPCR. I'd also want to regulate the output voltage with my computer. I have a mCubed miniNG that I use to control my pumps (2x Laing DDC-Ultras). I can vary the output voltage from the miniNG between 0V and 12V through software. If I could build a voltage controlled resistor and replace the potentiometer with it I could regulate the PSUs output voltage through software.

The question is how to build a voltage controlled resistor with a 0-12V input that varies the resistance between the three wires between 0 and 10 kOhm.

crodan85
03-14-2006, 09:32 PM
What you need is a digital pot with a SPI or I2C and parrell,serial or usb port and some visual basic programming skills. Im not sure but most digi pots dont like voltage >10v but there are ones that can go upto 15v.