PDA

View Full Version : how to fix slow running USB port?

viper650
03-10-2006, 03:43 PM
bought an external dvd drive and its a usb 2.0... i recently upgraded to win xp PRO and now my usb port is saying its running at 1.1 speeds. how can i fix this? my dvd burner is only ripping at .6 X which is uber slow.

EDIT: i called toshiba, and they told me to reformat my computer. i laughed and hung up on them.

i fixed the problem by doing the following: i went to device manager to see if the drivers were installed... sure enough, when i upgraded they werent. so i just uninstalled whatever was on there. i rebooted and plugged in the usb stuff... XP automatically installed the correct drivers and everything works great now! now im back to ripping dvd's at full speed again.

IYP
03-10-2006, 03:56 PM
is it a usb 1.1 port?

what service pack are you running?

Marvin_The_Martian
03-10-2006, 03:58 PM
erhm usb 2.0 suppport is in sp2 ;)

Just install sp2 and you're done!

Daveb2012
03-10-2006, 04:08 PM
SP2 has USB 2.0 support but may not fix it alone. Make sure you have updated chipset drivers also for your Mother board.

Serra
03-11-2006, 09:47 AM
If your USB port is a 1.1 port, it's not an option.

If your USB port is 2.0 compliant, then just go into device manager and give it a new driver (just let is search your computer for one, XP SP1 & SP2 each have native USB 2.0 drivers).

Serra

viper650
03-11-2006, 10:19 AM
this is a laptop. the usb is a 2.0 port(all 3 of them) but i recently upgraded to xp PRO from xp home and it is not working properly at the moment. i really do not want to update to SP2 if i can help it... more windows spying on me FTL.

ugh... i gave in and im downloading SP2. i will report back with findings. also, i had no problems with this drive until i upgraded to PRO. it used to work fine under xp home, i dont know why its not now?

IYP
03-11-2006, 10:21 AM
theres a way to get support without service packs but it is by far easier to just upgrade the service pack

Jarrod1937
03-11-2006, 10:53 AM
erhm usb 2.0 suppport is in sp2 ;)

Just install sp2 and you're done!
its windows xp service pack 1 that includes the usb 2 drivers...
just install service pack one. there is however another way to install usb 2 drivers, go to place like driver heaven, they probably have the usb 2 driver file, sorry but i don't remember the file name off the top of my head.

viper650
03-11-2006, 11:06 AM
well, i installed sp2 :mad: and it didnt fix it... it says that i need to install a hi speed usb controller onto my ports... how do i do that? i KNOW that it came with usb 2.0 as a stock laptop, but ive formatted and now dont have anything. i have the toshiba resource cd, but i dont know which thing to install... none of them say anything about a usb driver.

viper650
03-11-2006, 11:16 AM
i just called toshiba and they told me to format :rofl:

Jarrod1937
03-11-2006, 11:36 AM
i just called toshiba and they told me to format :rofl:
ahhh.... reformat, the fixer of all problems :stick:
actually a reformat wouldn't fix the problem unless you have a windows install with sp2 or higher already built in, meaning that if you don't it will simply install usb 1 drivers again.
well make sure you have in your bios the option for usb 2 support set and see if you can update the drivers in the device manager.