PDA

View Full Version : gskill HZ 2x1gb with A8R32-MVP

holla_at_chu
03-10-2006, 08:23 AM
hey guys i been lurking around the forums alot lately and was wondering if any of you have this board and hitting 270-280 fsb 1:1? if you are could you tell me the timings you are using in the bios? right now i am having trouble getting out of 255 :confused: i have most the timings set on auto in the bios any help would be great... thanks in advance -opt 165 0551UPMW-

Raja@ASUS
03-11-2006, 08:13 PM
try setting the chipset drive levels to optimum, also you may want to increase the voltage to NB and SB, also HTT voltage increase, see what happens.

I don't run that high 246 @ 11 is fine for me, @ 2.5-3-3-7 @ 1T 400htt.
I have to take the fsb up slowly though increments of 5 from 220, I can't just type in 246 from stock as it won't boot...........

holla_at_chu
03-17-2006, 11:05 PM
wow... highest i got is 250... no matter wat even with a divider i can't go any higher... maybe its the motherboard... i'll just wait for another one to come out maybe sapphires or dare i say DFI (the chip killa)

psupef2k
04-27-2006, 08:15 PM
how do you change the HTT (FSB) speed on this mobo? I have this board as well with this memory and I am new to OCing...here is my question.
I've read this guide, glanced at several others...and it seems to me, and please correct me if I am wrong, that I shouldn't have a difficult time overclocking my new system.

Since my memory is DDR500 (250mhz) rated, should I not just be able to go into the BIOS, change the memory timings and speed to the rated 250mhz (it is running at 200mhz right now, as everything is still bone stock) and up the FSB to 250Mhz as well?

If I am understanding this correctly, and it is quite possible that I am not, then current multiplier of 10 x 250mhz FSB(HTT) = 2500mhz = 2.5ghz? Is that all I need to do to get my machine from 2.0ghz to 2.5? It has to be harder than that, doesn't it? Obviously to run it at 2.5ghz with those adjustments, I wouldn't need to worry about memory dividers either. My goal is 2.4-2.6ghz on air cooling, so I think this is very obtainable, even for my OCing n00b self.

Also, CPU-Z says that my memory is currently running at a command rate of 2T. I know I have read that the A64 chips suffer in performance with teh 2T setting. I guess I can fix that when I reconfigure the timings to get it to 250mhz.

JC_Denton
04-28-2006, 12:43 AM
As I can remember, this mobo has the HTT settings as: 1000MHz, 800MHz, 600MHz, 400MHz and 200MHz, which are the 5x, 4x, 3x, 2x and 1x multipliers. If you want to raise your HTT you can run your CPU with: 8x300 FSB, HTT @ 1000MHz (I think this mobo tops at 1500HTT) and 5/6 divider, which will allow your memory to run @ 250MHz or 2/3 divider which will allow your RAM to run @ default (200MHz).

Oh, and remember to change the 2T to 1T, the difference in performance is quite big.

psupef2k
05-01-2006, 03:28 PM
Is that the only way to get the memory to run at 250mhz? I currently have my HTT at 250mhz , multiplier 10 and HT link speed at 1ghz. So, the machine is running at 2.5ghz, but the memory is only running at 166 mhz. Here is a CPU-Z screen shot for reference.

http://home.comcast.net/~r.pfeffer/25ocstats.JPG

GSKILL TECH
05-02-2006, 09:51 AM
do you do 1:1 for ram?
cuz i don't have this mobo, show us some bios option we might able to help

psupef2k
05-02-2006, 11:03 AM
do you do 1:1 for ram?
cuz i don't have this mobo, show us some bios option we might able to help
I didn't before, but I do now and it is working fine @ 250mhz. All is well except I have to RMA my motherboard due to a whining/squealing noise coming from somewhere (apparenly capacitors) on the board. Known issue with some of the A8R32MVP's apparently, and I am one of the lucky ones that got a squeaky board. It will be weeks until I get the new board in. It is most noticable while running 3dmark05 and 06 during the CPU tests, which is why I think the board is the issue and not the memory.

No chance that the memory is actually the source of the noise is it? :(

creidiki
05-02-2006, 02:26 PM
Naw, its just an issue some of the very 1st batch of mobos have with certain mems - I have HZs on that mobo as well and i dont have the whine, its just an engineering issue with some of the voltage regulation, something about the ferrite cores resonating or something.

Id take a look at what settings i used to make mine boot @ 275 (though i never got round to testing if it was stable - but i killed my X1900, so that wont happen for a day or so.

psupef2k
05-02-2006, 05:41 PM
Naw, its just an issue some of the very 1st batch of mobos have with certain mems - I have HZs on that mobo as well and i dont have the whine, its just an engineering issue with some of the voltage regulation, something about the ferrite cores resonating or something.

Id take a look at what settings i used to make mine boot @ 275 (though i never got round to testing if it was stable - but i killed my X1900, so that wont happen for a day or so.
I'm not sure if it is the motherboard or not now. It sounds more like the video card. Is there a way to tell if my motherboard was in the first batch or not, by serial number or something?

psupef2k
05-03-2006, 01:03 PM
My board is not the problem. The squealing/whining seems to be coming from the video card. Many people over at rage3d are having the same noises at the same time (3dmark 05 cpu tests), exactly as I described it.

As for my OCing stability... Not sure if it is RAM related. I ran memtest for a couple hours and it passed through 4 tests fine, so I think it is something else. I know this is beyond the scope of this forum, but this is what else I've tried. Also, if I get 2.5ghz stable and proceed to 2.6ghz...keeping the memory in 1:1 ratio, will it automatically increase it's speed to 260mhz to run in sync with the divider?

I lowered my HT link speed to 800mhz. This helped, but only a bit. Prime95 will now run for 20 minutes, and then halts on core 0 with a rounding error. Besides raising the voltage (1.4 currently in the BIOS, although ASUS probe reads 1.44-1.46) since I am already at the safe voltage for the opteron chips, what else can I do? memtest ran 3 passes on the memory and passed every time, so I don't think that is it.

Should I lower my Vcore and then overvolt it +200mV? Should I overvolt my north/south bridge a bit?

Also, when I figured I don't need to RMA my motherboard, I also installed the SI-120 & Delta fan. Since doing so, IDLE is ~32C (asus probe) and load during the prime 95 testing before it failed was 47C. Motherboard idle is 38C and load during prime 95 was 39C. I figured the SI-120 would have helped the MB temps more, but it seems to have had an adverse effect and actually raised them a bit. Is it normal for this board to idle so high? It definitely wasn't this high at stock speeds, but I didn't expect the OC to raise the MB temps that much. This is why I am hesitant to overvolt the north and/or southbridge.

The Delta fan is only running at ~2000RPM. I know that is normal, but is there anyway to get it to go faster? Do I need to up the voltage to the RAM? It is currently at 2.6v.

GSKILL TECH
05-04-2006, 10:05 AM
2.6~2.7v is good for 2GBHZ....
however i don't know Asus' mobo max capacity for UCCC...

psupef2k
05-12-2006, 04:45 AM
I am now receiving a post error code for bad memory. 1 long followed by 3 short beeps. According to this page: http://www.bioscentral.com/beepcodes/amibeep.htm

It is a memory test failure. Should I RMA this through newegg or direct through G.SKILL? I figured this memory would at least run at it's stock speed of 250mhz without problems.

psupef2k
05-16-2006, 04:06 AM
Update:

Memtest86 runs fine on the memory for 5+ hours, no errors. If the memory is checking out OK, why is it now require several hard reboots to get the machine to boot up after the beep code and no post? This is beyond annoying. Any help would be appreciated. A set of recommended timings would definitely help. You guys need to get this board over there, because I'm in severe need of help and advice.