PDA

View Full Version : How to set up a Network??

Volcom
02-02-2003, 11:44 PM
Hey all I just got a new Laptop and a Pc and I wanna connect them true the Network ok. I got 2 Lan cards 1 in each pc right and when I put the 2 pc'S ON they steeal say that they are

Local Area Connection A network cable is unpluged ????

The cable is blue!!!

I need to share files to one pc from a nother

Any help would be appreciated

Do I need to set up my IP: Adress ???? Or do I need the Red Cross Cable ??//

TheDude
02-03-2003, 06:22 AM
Need a little more info Volcom. When you say that you want to connect them thru the network...does that mean that you have a network setup already? Do you want to share internet access for both machines or just transfer files back and forth? How do you connect to the internet? Dailup with regular modem...DSL...Cable? Are you using a router or switch? What operating system do the machines run?

If you could give us some more info, we can walk you thru what you need to do and the best way to do it. :D

Volcom
02-03-2003, 09:16 PM
Hey sorry for that I am new to this so yes here you go

Windows xp Pro.

1pc and 1 Laptop

1 cable the blue one it's not crosover I know that

I have no hub

I have 2 lan cards one in each

2 modems one in each !!~!!

This is bassicly just for sharing files 1pc to a nother and around and if the net would work on boat pc'S that would be awesome

Smizack
02-03-2003, 10:54 PM
To directly connect 2 computers to each other you're gonna need a crossover cable.
And most everything else (router, switch ect..) you'll need a straight through.

And since you're running Xp, once you get a crossover cable, just go throught the network setup wizzard in Controll Pannel under network connections.

TheDude
02-04-2003, 12:09 AM
Smizack is correct, direct cable is cheapest way to go with crossover...however I prefer a hub...they can be found cheap...seem more reliable to me and expandable in the future.