PDA

View Full Version : How to solder on a mosfet?

vegeta
03-09-2006, 04:03 PM
I was tryin to solder on a leg of a mosfet.
But I tried several times to solder on a leg & it just won't stick.
Tried using a piece of sandpaper to clean the leg. This helped for a while.
After a day the wire came of again :s.

Does anyone have any tricks or tips :D

Nanometer
03-09-2006, 04:14 PM
I have the same problem, after cleaning it really well doesn't work, try sticking a dab of hot glue so it covers just that leg, don't use too much.

jumanji969
03-10-2006, 01:42 AM
Use soldering wick to clean the legs. Lay the wick on top of the piece of be cleaned and soldering iron on other side. Pull wick across pad, do not press with the iron. The solder should melt and stick to the wick, coming off the leg. At least this was what I was taught :p:.

Another trick I learned is if you plan to keep the mod permanent, you can use some liquid electrical tap on it after you solder. Just wipe the stuff on and it seems to hold quite well.

SoddemFX
03-10-2006, 05:10 AM
A large FET has quite a lot of mass, you may need to use a slightly larger iron or heat for longer to reach temperature...

Keep going, try to tin the leg frist and im sure you'll get there :)

Tom

vegeta
03-10-2006, 01:26 PM
A large FET has quite a lot of mass, you may need to use a slightly larger iron or heat for longer to reach temperature...

Keep going, try to tin the leg frist and im sure you'll get there :)

Tom

I tried it with my butane solder iron :D but no luck.

But I think I found a way.

1.Cut a small piece of IDE cable
2.Bend it like an U-shape
3.Slip it under the desired mosfet leg (wire - mosfet leg - wire)
4.Use this tool http://www1.nl2.conrad.com/m/8000_8999/8100/8190/8193/819360_LB_03_FB.EPS.jpg & twist the U shaped wire with a mosfet leg in between till can't go any further
5.Cut that twisted wire till you only got a small piece on the end
6.Take you're solder iron and thin that end of the twisted cable
7.And solder the desired wire on that end & voila :D

Thrilla
03-16-2006, 12:19 PM
I usually just use a sharp-edged file to file a little groove for the solder to hold onto, then apply some flux, apply solder and heat it long enough.
I used a 15 watt iron, usually 3 seconds is good.

WeStSiDePLaYa
03-17-2006, 01:13 PM
i just had to solder a few wires onto the leg of a mosfet, didnt have that much trouble, and then i used hot glue to hold it in place.

Thrilla
03-18-2006, 09:43 PM
lol gotta love hot glue

krullet
04-14-2006, 01:38 PM
ye hot glue works really good in theese situations,

Wwhat
04-16-2006, 06:08 AM
I usually just use a sharp-edged file to file a little groove for the solder to hold onto, then apply some flux, apply solder and heat it long enough.
I used a 15 watt iron, usually 3 seconds is good.

little note: Your ordinary flux is meant for soldering metals in plumbing etc. and should never be used on electronic parts because it is acidic and will react and will damage PCB's or parts sooner or later, be careful and use special flux for electronics.

ns_ripper
04-26-2006, 08:44 AM
Like Thrilla already mentioned, applying solderingflux also does wonders on stuff with more mass.