PDA

View Full Version : Athlon 64 Mobile DTR compatability

Biggles
03-09-2006, 06:54 AM
So I have a dead laptop. It's got an Athlon 64 3000 Mobile in it, a DTR with BEX5AR stepping from memory. Now due to insurance reasons, which I was able to claim on, I have the opportunity to spend some credit in a certain high street store. The only decent-ish Socket 754 motherboard they had was the ECS nForce3-A, so I was considering getting it and dumping my DTR in it.

Thing is, I know not every board was capable of running the mobiles. OK, so the chances of someone on here being able to confirm compatability is slim, but I'd like to know what motherboards can run these chips. I know the DFI nForce3 250 GB was, but that's about it.

This worth the risk do you think?

P.S. I'm cross posting this on a couple of different forums that I frequent in the hope of getting a good response.

i found nemo
03-09-2006, 08:07 AM
it will work pretty well imo, and should not even require a bios update. if you do o/c expect 2.3--2.5ghz @ about 1.6+ volts

oh, and cuz it's a mobile you have to manually set the multiplier to 9x when in bios, or via clockgen

DaWaN
03-09-2006, 09:09 AM
What's the stepping of the CPU ?

Biggles
03-09-2006, 04:51 PM
Opened it up tonight and can confirm that it is an AMA3000BEX5AR, 0411UPMW. No IHS, being in a laptop and all.

Biggles
03-11-2006, 09:26 AM
Surely more people have tried the DTR chips in desktop boards?

cmay119
03-11-2006, 10:14 AM
Biggles, I agree with the original responder. The mobile CPU is still a clawhammer core just like the clawhammer cores in the lidded cpu versions. It should work.
Especially since there latest bios supports the newer Venice CPU's, you'd think they'd support a more popular clawhammer mobile CPU.

I cannot confirm 100%, however I'm confident it will... If you're really worried 'bout it though, just order a 250Gb off the egg and be done with it.