PDA

View Full Version : Crossbow? Any one know anything about them?

amd4me
03-08-2006, 08:12 PM
Okay here is the story.
I live next door to a crack house.
I live in a nice neighbourhood and I still have this problem.
The old lady who lived there died and left the place to her son and he is a druggie.
So it has turned into somewhat of a flop house.
As of late I have caught druggies at my back door and at my garage.
My property is fenced.
So they dont just wander in.
Any way last night I caught this guy trying to slide our lock.
I chased him but he got away.

So I am worried about one of these mofo's getting into my house.
I dont want a fire arm , but I still want to be protected.
I have decided to get a crossbow, and I need some advice as to which one to get.
I want something powerful , reliable and under 700 bucks USD.
I have called the cops and I have filed complaints , to no avail.
Thanks for your help in advance.

WeStSiDePLaYa
03-08-2006, 08:54 PM
for that much cash why not just get a gun?

as for crossbows, i know out in boon town sasketchewan people used to shoot carp with them. and carp have very very thick scales and body. so im sure it could go through flesh no problem.

bullet2urbrain
03-08-2006, 08:56 PM
modern day crossbows are generally around 230 feet per second... very deadly if accurately shot..

unfortunately i dont know much about brands or things to look for.. i know the other aspects of it.

wdrzal
03-08-2006, 09:18 PM
while they are deadly they are not good for self defense, the arrow can slip out of the knock or off center in the slide. You also only got one shot. you don''t pull a deadly weapon on someone unless you inteand to use it. pull out a cross bow,you can't keep it hidden in your pocket,and your trespasses just might pull out a gun. you got one shot,whick is not great at moving targets while he got at least 6. Get a pistol and don't show it unless you need to pull the trigger. If you unconmfotable with firearms take some firarm handling classes.

MaxxxRacer
03-09-2006, 03:44 AM
amd4me, youd be better off with a pistol and non lethal rounds... A crossbow will do ALOT of flesh dammage.

n00b 0f l337
03-09-2006, 03:55 AM
I own a crossbow. The military in the US, mostly the marines, still trains with them. It's easily a lethal weapon, but pegging someone in the leg will shred through there leg.

Vapor
03-09-2006, 03:58 AM
Get a .22 and aim low. As others have said, crossbows are wicked lethal and damaging.

charlesbronsen
03-09-2006, 07:37 AM
lol i live in a real shady area too so i know how you feel. Im always seeing crackhead, hookers, and pimps hanging around my building. I would LMAO if i seen one of these fools running down the street with an arrow sicking out of his back:lol: But on that same note you would have to be a cold mutha to shoot someone with a crossbow, cause that could be a real nasty sight. My friend who lives down the street from me in the same neighborhood has got a paintball gun. One night this drunk who always hangs in front of his building was yelling and being a fool, so from his balcony he shot this guy like 5 times. the dude jumped all akwardly and ran away checking himself for holes, i dont even think he noticed all the paint on him. Needless to say we have never seen that drunk hanging or sleeping on my friends stoop again. My vote would be paintball gun, effective and non deadly. But either way good luck fleeing the crackheads away:slapass:

Vapor
03-09-2006, 07:43 AM
Or an airrifle....stings like a mofo, no residue paint to show the cops (not that a crackhead would go to the cops :stick: ). :hrhr:

Delirious
03-09-2006, 07:55 AM
I would get a new 12 gauge with a short barrel and get those non lethal rounds.

http://www.remington.com/products/firearms/shotguns/tactical_shotguns.asp

I used to use the top one when i did law enforcement in the military and let me say with a laser dot scope the thing is deadly accurate at medium distance.

There is nothing more intimidating than the sound of a :banana::banana::banana::banana:ing shotgun.

I bet these would hurt like hell! To bad they only ship to law enforcement.
http://www.securityandsafetysupply.com/product-firearms/Gauge5.html

craig588
03-09-2006, 08:25 AM
I own two and they are not useful for what you want. Get a compressed gas bb gun, you can incapacitate someone with it, it's alot cheaper, and basicly all you need to do is pull out any weapon to scare someone off, it doesn't matter what it is. A crossbow wont save you if someone decides to retaliate though, you only have one shot and your aim is awful. A compressed air bb gun will let you take hundreds of shots.

trakslacker
03-09-2006, 08:54 AM
yeah, a crossbow is not the way to go. If you miss your target, you are screwed. And, as others have said, any good hit will be incredibly destructive to the victim. While I understand the need to protect yourself and your home, a crossbow is not the way to do so.

As other have said, there are several good options for you. A .22 pistol would work, just aim low. A shotgun with rubber/non-lethal shot(if you can acquire it) would be good too. An air rifle I'm not thrilled about, unless it's Co2 powered to minimize reload time. A paintball gun could be a good idea as well. I've seen some guys mod thier guns to fire wayyy harder than is legally allowed. I've seen some ppl walk away with massive bruising and lacerations from these "overclocked" guns.

Disposibleteen
03-09-2006, 10:23 AM
You could get a paintball gun and freeze the rounds. All you would have to do is turn up the gas outlet pressure very high and those things can hurt very bad. Also frozen paintballs are non lethal so you dont have to worry about killing anyone.

ZX7891
03-09-2006, 10:32 AM
marbles in a paintball gun ftw

bullet2urbrain
03-09-2006, 11:03 AM
or frozen grapes.. really cheap ammo..

im starting to think that a paintball gun is probably the best way to go

D_o_S
03-09-2006, 11:06 AM

LOL, now that MUST hurt...

Delirious
03-09-2006, 11:09 AM

That would probably kill someone, fine if thats what u want to do, bad if your goin for the non lethal aproach.

If i was a junky determined to get money for another fix i think a paintball gun would just piss me off, Then what do u do when he pulls out a weapon and charges you?

People that are high on drugs usually have a high pain tolerance, take for instance several polic videos where doped up people are shot several times only to keep chargeing the officer.

Shotgun or pistol loaded with 2-3 non lethal rounds then the rest of the magazine with lethal rounds if those dont work. Thats not to expensive that shotgun in my link can be had for $500 and a couple boxes of ammo for under another $100

It all comes down to how seriously u take the protection of your life and family if u have one.

n00b 0f l337
03-09-2006, 12:03 PM
I can reload and fire again in 12 seconds.

ZX7891
03-09-2006, 12:08 PM
at the paintball arena a kid was prosecuted after shooting a kid with a bag of marbles in his hopper. it broke the kids arm

amd4me
03-09-2006, 12:10 PM
while they are deadly they are not good for self defense, the arrow can slip out of the knock or off center in the slide. You also only got one shot. you don''t pull a deadly weapon on someone unless you inteand to use it. pull out a cross bow,you can't keep it hidden in your pocket,and your trespasses just might pull out a gun. you got one shot,whick is not great at moving targets while he got at least 6. Get a pistol and don't show it unless you need to pull the trigger. If you unconmfotable with firearms take some firarm handling classes.
I am very comfortable with firearms.
I own 2.
But the fact of the matter is my mother wont let me have one in the house.
And she is very strict about that.(family incidents is the cause)
And I do know that a weapon is only to be drawn for the intent to kill.
If soemone breaks into my house , I will end their life.

lol i live in a real shady area too
I live in a very nice area of town.
We even have our own security patrol.
They do nothing except drive around in their bright green cars and :banana::banana::banana::banana:in sleep in their office.
I also have a five yearold brother and a sister.
And if someone breaks into my house. I dont want to scare them off , I went them to be laying on the floor bumping into themself when the cops show up.

NapalmV5
03-09-2006, 12:27 PM
to protect my family i wud move outta there even if its a nice area..

from the way it sounds, he aint gonna move anytime soon

i actually moved outta state

Delirious
03-09-2006, 12:39 PM
No firearms? that kinda sucks, no one has mentioned using a tasser? lol

That might be fun to use as well, just keep pumping full of voltage at your own whim.

One of these (http://www.taser.com/self_defense/index.htm) bad boys

The promo video is pretty funny.

Edit: Theyre friggin expensive though, $999 for the top model.

twiggy
03-09-2006, 12:45 PM
Get a huge ass Rot and hang a bag of crack from his collar then put him outside on a chain....:hehe:

For real tho, ever think about just getting a dog?

Reznik Akime
03-09-2006, 01:07 PM
Ever seen Kill Bill 2?

A shotgun with salt rock rounds I hear will drop anyone. I can take pain, but I would bank it sure as hell would drop me. Salt in a wound is bad enough but when its under your skin an several odd places.. Yeoch. Non leathal, but ya wish it wasnt.

amd4me
03-09-2006, 04:06 PM
Get a huge ass Rot and hang a bag of crack from his collar then put him outside on a chain....:hehe:

For real tho, ever think about just getting a dog?
I have 2.
They sleep inside though and they are both useless guard dogs.
If they can bite someone else they could also decide to bite me or my familia.

charlesbronsen
03-10-2006, 06:38 AM
a cattle prod will also get rid of unwanted vermon, they will be on the ground doin the funky chicken wishing they never set foot in your neck of the woods:fact: