PDA

View Full Version : chokes in parrallel?

WeStSiDePLaYa
03-08-2006, 04:32 PM
ive got some extra chokes around, and i was thinking maybe adding them to my gfx card to try to squeeze a few more mhz on the ram out. do they work in parrallel? is there a benefit?

SoddemFX
03-08-2006, 04:41 PM
You'll get less voltage drop accross the inductor, but the regulator should be compensating for this pretty well anyway.

You'll increase the break frequency of the filter which will give you more ripple.

You'll get better transient response, but i doubt you need it with the current graphics memory draws.

Are the existing inductors getting hot? If not i dont see any need to modify them.

If you dont know what value the inductors you have are, i definately wouldnt do it.

Hope this helps :)

Tom

WeStSiDePLaYa
03-08-2006, 04:52 PM
You'll get less voltage drop accross the inductor, but the regulator should be compensating for this pretty well anyway.

You'll increase the break frequency of the filter which will give you more ripple.

You'll get better transient response, but i doubt you need it with the current graphics memory draws.

Are the existing inductors getting hot? If not i dont see any need to modify them.

If you dont know what value the inductors you have are, i definately wouldnt do it.

Hope this helps :)

Tom

im just trying to find a way to get better clocks on my card. and i dont think my current psu has very clean rails after stuff ive done to it.

EDIT:

what about taking a ferrite ring and wrapping the wires comming to the card around it? i was thinking of doing this for my atx12v rail to my mobo, and the lines comming to my gfx card.

SoddemFX
03-09-2006, 02:06 AM
I dont think it will help much, but it probably wont hurt either as long as you dont make the inductance too large...

Tom