PDA

View Full Version : Vapochill PSU??

Weapon
02-02-2003, 06:27 PM
does anyone have any suggestions as to what PSU works well in a Vapochill??

Enermax 431 wouldnt do it -- mine just had way to much fluctuation in voltage but my friend's vapo actually killed his 431...
:eek:

Antec 550 - I am using this one now but it still has power issues that cause a BSOD here and there....clearly screwing my OCing if nothing else. :mad:

Enermax EG851AX-VH(W) FM...660W - screw that noise - I am not paying $352 for a PSU for my $571 case. rofl.

TodB
02-02-2003, 06:52 PM
There shoudn't be problems with the Antec 550W - it's more than enough for a Vapo System.....

What are your system specs etc.? :confused:

isp
02-02-2003, 09:22 PM
A lot of people use the Antec 550 fine...what are you running on it? :confused:

TheDude
02-02-2003, 10:32 PM
I ran my Vapo Classic for over a year with a 520w TTGI PS. Cost was $78 plus shipping from Directron. It has adjustable pot for +5,+12 rails.:D

isp
02-02-2003, 10:42 PM
Originally posted by TheDude
I ran my Vapo Classic for over a year with a 520w TTGI PS. Cost was $78 plus shipping from Directron. It has adjustable pot for +5,+12 rails.:D

Yeah thats a good PSU. Still $78 at Directron...

Weapon
02-03-2003, 09:33 AM
current system is as follows:

2100 tbred
ABIT NF7-S
2 40gb IBM 60 GXPs
radeon 8500
512mb (2x256 dual channel of course) OCZ PC3500 C2 EL
Hercules GTXP
48x TDK burner
pulled everything else to save power.

the only problem I have is power stability when I am nearing the edge of max OC. It will be stable then I get power fluctuations and it BSODs.

I was considering the idea of running the compressor off of a TEC PSU just to get that load off of the Antec but I want to keep the chill control functional.

1st idea - wire the TEC PSU to a relay so that it is kicked on by the chill control and then the TEC PSU powers the Compressor and fan.

hmmmm...what are the odds that asetek would gimme some wiring schematics for this sucker?

edit: I am going to double check the wall outlet today -- maybe it is causing the power probs. Maybe a bit cleaner power from the outlet would line things up a little.

*goes to look at 2000watt UPS while considering an independent 110 outlet ran straight from the main box*

overkill is a way of life.

NWEng
02-03-2003, 02:04 PM
You can also run the Vapo on it's own separate PSU. I was using a small Sparkle 180w just for the Vapo and a Sparkle 400 for the mobo and other components. I was never really happy runing both off the same PSU.

:cool:

Weapon
02-03-2003, 03:50 PM
^^how did you do the wiring?

were both under the control of the chill control??

if so, please throw a diagram, pic, explanation, description, blueprint, etc. at me.:)

Karatekid
02-21-2003, 04:33 PM
I'd like to jump in to this conversation here...

I'm saving up to get myself a Vapochill too, and I'm in search of a swell PSU as well. Right now I use an Enermax EG-465AX-VE. The thing has a max. current of 33A @ 12V. Seems high, but "max" doesn't say it'll be able to put up with a 33A strain all day, right?

So what PSU should I be looking for?

My Enermax says: Can't do it captain; I don't have the power!

FishaOfMen
02-21-2003, 11:50 PM
I want in too :). Would a 400watt PC Power & Cooling Silencer do the trick?

TodB
02-22-2003, 03:41 AM
Well anything good and over 400W will do the job ;)

Just needs a strong +12V line...

Weapon
02-23-2003, 05:33 PM
the PSU you will need will depend on a lot of other factors - such as how much other hardware you are powering off of the PSU, etc.

The 400 watt antec I had was not up to the task and neither was the 431 enermax that I tried ---both left me with 12v rails running in the 11.75 area with 5 volt rails running as low as 4.63. That isnt where you want to be with either rail obviously. Also, RiStar over at VR Zone seems to have an enermax 431 that was killed by the constant load from the vapo.

I am currently running an Antec true power 550 and it seems to be doing OK for the moment (at least part of the problem I was having was linked to less than perfect power flow from the wall outlet). Still, I think I could get more stability and maybe up my OC if I had the compressor and other shiznit running off of a separate PSU...

check this thread for more info on that:
http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=9139

Karatekid
02-24-2003, 12:17 PM
Weapon,

As my Eneramx ain't gonna cut it (same as RiStar), I'm gonna need another PSU anyway. One way to keep those extra costs down, is by buying another non-THAT-powerfull PSU, like another Enermax @ 431. I've read somewhere the VapoChill PE consumes about 13A @ 12V @ max, so the 2nd Enermax should do fine, right?

isp
02-24-2003, 12:37 PM
I'd say that'd be fine KarateKid.

Karatekid
02-24-2003, 02:15 PM
I don't seem to be able to find info about how the VapoChill is wired, so plz correct me if I go wrong somewhere..
- Case reset button wire goes to ChillControl
- ChillControl reset wire goes to mainboard
- VapoChill is being powered by PSU molex connector
That's it?

If so, the diagram for a 2nd PSU would look like this:
http://members.home.nl/jan.barelds/Other_Pics/Full-size_Pics/VapoChill%20Powering.jpg

Any good?

Weapon
02-27-2003, 10:53 PM
^nope on the molex for chill control/vapo power.

It uses a kinda funky ATX cable -- the ATX from your PSU plugs into what looks somewhat like an ATX extension cable but it has an extra plug branching off of it that plugs into the chill control.

I have been trying to get one of the techs in the vapochill/asetek forum to hook me up with a wiring schematic but no one has volunteered one yet.:rolleyes:

I have one suggested plan that runs it off of a TEC cooler but I want to keep the chill control fully functional...

Karatekid
02-28-2003, 04:17 AM
Dang.

That's a shame. So it's a tad more complicated than I though.
Me too will try to get info from Asetek, lets see what we can get.