PDA

View Full Version : Overclockinf GSkill HZ on Nf3 ultra

ivan49
03-08-2006, 02:18 AM
Hi,

I can't succeed in overclocking my brand new gskill 2*1024 HZ @2.6V-2.7-2.8 from even one Mhz (>250).
I tried them on every banks (yellow and orange ones), with every settings provided here (and elsewhere) , every voltages, and results are the same - errors on test #8 on memtest dos.

Strangely, on first boot (cold boot), sometimes i don't have any errors for a while (2 or 3 passes) and then it can appears suddenly without any reason.

I first thought it can be an overheat problem so i installed a fan just on the dimm banks and I changed my Hiper48 for a XP90C.

The worse is there :
- If i set my ram to 166, i can reach 2680Mhz (multiplier *9) with my CPU, so it's quite disturbing that i can't reach 1:1 ratio with *10 and 2600Mhz (SP2004 stress CPU test are ok at these frequencies but not with RAM+CPU tests).
- If I change cpu multiplier to *7, sometimes i got same problems with my HZ @260, sometimes i can have no errors at all for a while with memtest.

Do you have any idea to solve my problems ?

Memory controller ?
Limited RAMs series (very bad luck so) ?
Chipset limitation ?
Motherboard ?

Thanks for your help...

JasonGTP
03-08-2006, 11:04 AM
ive been trying the same thing ... 250 on NF3.. i get nothing but instability and freezing up during POST issues with 250 fsb.
i get into windows i get random reboots and nothing is stable.

once i get time to load a 2nd install of windows on my other drive i will do more testing, i just dont feel like killing my current install.

ive relaxed setting as much as i dare... tried all vdimms i can. think its just crappy nf3 chipset or unstable bios. im using f10 now.

JasonGTP
03-08-2006, 01:24 PM
what do you mean support for dual-channel?
i am running dual-channel on my nf3. 128-bit dual channel.
if i run 1 stick of ram or run them in opposite slots then im in 64-bit single channel.

unless there is somethin i dont get? which is possible :)

either way... its still a pain in the ass with the stupid cold-boot issues :mad:

GSKILL TECH
03-08-2006, 01:47 PM
NF3 chipset is exactly the same as the NF4, only thing diff is the support of duel channle
no no
according to Oskar from DFi
NF3 is weaker than NF4 for sure

JasonGTP
03-08-2006, 01:51 PM
yes, i expected as much. since you dont see too many people with +300mhz htt settings on nf3.
hell. 250 is seemingly not easy. my end up leaving bios as is and using stupid windows app to get to final overclock, that way i can avoid cold boot issues.

Fission
03-08-2006, 01:58 PM
ROFLcopters @ nf3 not having dual channel. Dual channel or 128-bit is due to the processor, not the platform. NForce3 can't overclock as well as an nf4, but it is definitely not a limitation of the chipset, which can go 350 with ease if cooled and powered, and configured properly.

Here's a coupel things to try:Change the AGP to 67 or 68 mhz if overclocking the HTT. Change the LDT or HTT multiplier to 3x from 4x if overclocking over 240. Change the chipset voltage to 1.75 if overclocking HTT over 290.

If this still doesn't work, pull the sticks out, clear the CMOS, put the sticks back into the other set of slots, and see if that helps at all.

The memory controller on lots of A64s will flake out at about 55 degrees, so it could always be cooling, but you're not askign it for too much really, so I would think that even the stock cooler should be fine for this.

Keep trying.

JasonGTP
03-08-2006, 02:05 PM
Some good tips.
i have my AGP set to 67...
i have tried htt multi set to 4x when i was at 250.. 4x250=1000.. but i did also try 3x and it didnt seem to matter. i did increase htt link v to +.1 of stock. and i was still VERY unstable in windows... had cpu mult set to 8x to keep cpu at stock.

at 10x200 and running dual prime for over 2 hours and my load temps seem to max about 40-43 depending on if the heater in the apt has been running. 3 hours of q4 last night with +70mhz on x800 gpu and cpu never went over about 38c or so. wish i had the balls to pop the HS of the cpu :) maybe later.

Fission: what settings are you running on your nf3 with 2GB ram??

GSKILL TECH
03-08-2006, 02:20 PM
thx for the info guys. love to see member helps each other

tHe_jOkeR
03-08-2006, 02:26 PM
i had gskill hz on my neo2, 265 max stable without tweaking.

MfG

edit:

Change the chipset voltage to 1.75 if overclocking HTT over 290.

dont do this on the MSI k8n neo2
it will kill your board...

ivan49
03-08-2006, 02:31 PM
I decided to find if there is not another bios to solve my memory issues and finally found a beta one cd19 instead of 711...

First boot, my mobo find good timings for my HZ by itself - good point

My temp are completely faulty (26° on idle with new bios, damn dfi :slapass: ) but after some mem tweaking in bios (i've got some other options in that bios), i finally have no error @260 on test #8 of memtest dos (5 passes the more i reached for ages) with cpu multiplier to *7, agp 68 and htt *3.:banana: ... hope it will be stable...

So i need some time to do some other tests to verify my theory...

Good news very soon i hope...

the number on my hz package is 01-0-18819-24273-107. i suppose it's a s/n because i can't reach the sticker on my dimm right now (banks are under my xp90c on that mobo)

JasonGTP
03-08-2006, 02:39 PM
nice!

I hate the neo2 ... had 2 burn vregs down my the agp slot. rma'd em both and got the GA. wish there was 939 dfi at that time :(

can you guys post your settings for the nf3? anyone know of customer BIOS for mine? i havent been able to find any.
thanks.

ivan49
03-08-2006, 02:40 PM
at the moment with bios cd19 on dfi ultra-d my settings are
trc 12
trfc 16
trcd 4
trrd 2
tras 8
trp 4
twr 3
twtr 2
trtw 4
tref auto (200 -3.9)
twcl 1
idle cycle limit 256
max async latency 9
read preamble 7
read write queue bypass 8x (can't change it in bios)
bypass max 4x (can't change it in bios).

JasonGTP
03-08-2006, 02:45 PM
i think i can change most of those setting except idle cycle limit, read write queue bypass 8x, and bypass max 4x.
what vdimm, vhtt, vcore ect you have?

when i have issues i always seem to error out on test 7 in memtest (dos, well, unix i think actually). and those damn reboots in windows. and the damn freezing during POST... :) yes, i am complaining. maybe i will try these settings tonight.
however seems i always get errors at anything other then AUTO for the ram timings... even at 200mhz!

Fission
03-08-2006, 03:00 PM
For the Ultra-D I have played around on some of the otehr BIOSes, but i love the 602, seems to do well, just not very accurate at reporting the voltage on the CPU.

I run a few different settings, but 24/7 I just run it at 8x250 1.35v core, 2.6 vDIMM. I haven't overclocked it much in a while, but I have had this board since the tuesday it was released, and my week16 venice does 2.9 on 1.645v without a hitch. I'm not at home right now, so I can't give the timings I use, but I will when I get around to it. Same ones that Major used on his best UCCC overclock. Search for "UCCC", check his A64tweaker screenshot on teh 2GB overclock thread and set those in the BIOS.I am yet to push it to the limit on those, but stable and good performance at any of the tested speeds so far.

As far as not bumping the chipset vltage up to 1.75 goes, I wouldn't worry about it killing your board, but as always, if you are worried about overheating, don't give it more votlage. I ran mine at 1.85v for a month straight with no problems, in July even.

Here (http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=35906) is the link to the settings I used for mine, courtesy of XS's own Major.

ivan49
03-09-2006, 01:29 AM
to jasongtp:
vdimm : 2.5 (set in bios, but mobo set it to 2.6)
vcore : 1.55 (have to change my psu, because with this voltage, vcore looks like in a rollercoaster)
agp : 68
htt multi : 3*
cpu multi : 10* (at the moment)

Can't succeed at the moment to make it stable @2600 with multiplier *10. I tried it in the past with multi *9 but i doubt that my ram will accept 289 to stay at 1:1 even with this new bios.

Maybe my future PSU will change that...