PDA

View Full Version : Broken Laptop

{.bLanK} GoD
03-07-2006, 01:36 AM
A mate of mine asked me to have a look at his laptop that stopped going. It's a Dell Inspiron 5150.
He's a broke student and wants to avoid an expensive dell repair shop if possable.
Here's the low down...
The screen suddenly went blank while he was using it, when he went to retart it, the screen wouldn't post and would flash almost black, then slightly lighter a few times then it would flash red, green, then blue, and then back to nearly black. It will keep doing this.
I have removed the battery for over an hour, i have removed the memory modules. Neither of these made any effect.
Also tryed plugging in another monitor and tryed the tv out, both tv and monitor detect a screen but nothing appears not even the colours flahing on the laptop screen.
I suspect the graphics card has died but want opinions from some people before taking the next step.
This dude really wants his laptop going again. Unfortunatly the warranty has expired so any repair will have to come out of his pocket.
His options are..
Biting the bullet and sending it to a dell repair shop, or,
Ordering a new graphics card from dell and hope like hell it is not something else.

What do you guys reckon???

Here (http://jessix.geek.nz/brokenlarry.mpg) is a link to a short vid of what happens when powered up.