PDA

View Full Version : Separate PSU for vapo compressor??

Weapon
02-02-2003, 12:17 AM
Has anyone modded their vapochill so that the compressor runs off of a separate PSU? What about to where it leaves the chill control functioning??

If so, do you have any pics or a wiring schematic?

my antec 550 is refusing to put up with powering even one more device and I have a TEC PSU here that is ready to throw 13.5v 25a at the compressor.:)

Neptune5k
02-18-2003, 06:50 AM
I have to run mine off a second PSU. All I did was wire in the reset as normal, and just leave the two 12v lines (the one that patched into your PSU) open. On the second power supply, I just put a switch on the Green wire and one of the grounds. I flip that switch, let the unit get down to -10 or so, then turn on my computer. Works just fine.

Weapon
02-22-2003, 11:07 AM
^yeah, that was kinda what I was thinking about. another way to do that seems to be something to this effect:

wire the top two wires from the compressor straight to a external PSU like the tec PSU I am using.

disconnect the rest of the wires on the compressor. then jumper the bottom 3 pins.

the compressor is then activated and entirely powered by the 13.5v 25a TEC. I think I am going to wire the 120mm fan into that TEC power as well.

the vapochill as is seems to cause waaaaaaayyyyy too much power fluctuation with the mobo -- that is even with an Antec 550 true power.

about the only reg PSU I havent tried is the mega honkin enermax 851 that pops out 660 watts of juice with 3 totally separate 12v rails
http://images2.newegg.com/productimage/17-103-438-02.JPG
....nice, but I dont wanna pay $350 for a PSU.

TheDude
04-05-2003, 08:49 PM
42A on the +5 ! SWEET :D but too pricey for me..I'll stick with the TTGI520w $78 at Directron..adjustable trimmer for +5/+12 I ran my old style Vapo on it for a year.

Until my wife allowed the junk man to haul the disassembled Vapo to the dump by mistake while I was in hospital!

PS: Dr says she may recover just fine:D

MrIcee
04-06-2003, 05:25 PM
Hehehehe...my PC Power and Cooling Turbo-Cool 450 ATX kicks out 50 amps on the + 5 stock:thumbsup:
(40 amps on the +3.3 line)
Randi:D

TheDude
04-06-2003, 06:07 PM
Originally posted by MrIcee
Hehehehe...my PC Power and Cooling Turbo-Cool 450 ATX kicks out 50 amps on the + 5 stock:thumbsup:

Damn Randi! I have heard they are good PSU, but aren't they also very expensive? If not..I will try one next! Don't need trimmers with 50A! :D

Pyro
05-03-2003, 11:19 AM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Weapon
wire the top two wires from the compressor straight to a external PSU like the tec PSU I am using.

The top two wires being the black and yellow wires? Do I just pull them out of the molex connector? Then connect them to the 12v line of my seperate PSU.

disconnect the rest of the wires on the compressor. then jumper the bottom 3 pins.

So I unplug the grey, brown, and green wires from the compressor plugin. What do you mean by jumper the bottom 3?

Thank you for your time. Its very appreciated.

Weapon
05-03-2003, 11:25 AM
that is how I have seen them ran from a separate TEC PSU --like the samlex external PSUs.

the + & - were connected to the corresponding + & - on the vapo and the bottom 3 were jumpered with a new set of wires.

by jumpered - I mean the bottom 3 pins were essentially wired together. in one case, the bottom 3 were connected with a solid piece of copper.

still, I dunno what the long term effects of this might be on the system -- I was planning on run this by a a/c repair guy but I haven't had a chance to talk to him recently.

Pyro
05-03-2003, 11:49 AM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Weapon
the + & - were connected to the corresponding + & - on the vapo and the bottom 3 were jumpered with a new set of wires.

So you connected wires from the + and - of the samlex PSU to the + and - of the vapo. Is there any differences between powering the compressor with a TEC PSU and regular ATX PSU?

by jumpered - I mean the bottom 3 pins were essentially wired together. in one case, the bottom 3 were connected with a solid piece of copper.

Alright I'm looking at the Vapo PE power pluggin thing thats directly located next to the compressor. Its labeled like so below. When I state "nothing" I mean nothings plugged in their.

Black wire -
Yellow wire +
Nothing +
Nothing F
Green wire D
grey wire C
grey wire P
brown wire D

When you refer to "pins", you mean the metal prongs sticking out of the Vapo Pe power pluggin right? So I would connect a wire to C, P, and D which would jumper them?

Sorry for essentially restating what you've already said. I just like to be 150% sure before I experiment with things. Better safe than sorry. Again, thank you for your time. :)

Weapon
05-04-2003, 11:08 AM
take a look at this pic.

your lettering is different -- that last D on your list should be a T shouldn't it?

http://www.hardocp.com/image.html?image=MTA0MzgxMTM0MWdodWZFTzRCVExfMV8xM 19sLmpwZw==

that is how I have seen a few different people wire them up for use off of a TEC PSU.

Pyro
05-04-2003, 05:46 PM
Opps, yeah thats what I had meant. Don't know where that D came from.

Alright, so C, P, and T are connected together. Got it. :)

By looking at this pic (http://www.hardocp.com/image.html?image=MTA0MzgxMTM0MWdodWZFTzRCVExfMV8xO V9sLmpwZw==) are both compressors power by the TEC PSU on top of the case.

Weapon
05-27-2003, 07:52 PM
Originally posted by MrIcee

If I could figure out a solid way to wire my Lamdba LFQ-30-1 wattbox into things, it can handle a whopping 120a on the #1 5v rail.

I got bored last nite and hooked 6 120s to the #1 5v rail -- they all rolled over and it never flickered off of 5.01v. This power supply is too much fun. :D

the 2 adjustable 12v rails on it are entirely amusing as well - at 16.8 volts, a face down san ace 120 becomes a bit of a mini-hovercraft.

I still havent messed with the #4 rail any - it is a 5v rail but it only runs up to 10a.

gotta love a PSU that has a 120mm cooling fan built into it from the factory :)

Weapon
07-20-2003, 11:55 AM
Originally posted by MickeyMouse
fella's does this way of using a seperate PSU work??

it will work but there are other ways of doing it:
http://forum.vapochill.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=2795&highlight=two+power

http://forum.vapochill.com/showthread.php?threadid=3201