PDA

View Full Version : Damn You X-Fi

Kizz
03-04-2006, 02:23 AM
My X-Fi Xtreme music arrived yesterday :woot:, so ofc I installed it asap, loaded up the sfotware and thought I was ready to go. Alas, when I turn the sound on....it sounds slightly odd. Then I realised that it was only coming from my left speaker. So I assumed it was a config problem on my part, went through every single mode and speaker configuration, tried my headphones, checked every cable a dozen times, and moved some around to try and change the result. But every time it stayed the same - I only have sound from the left speaker/headphone.

I know it's recieving the sound, because I can hear it attempting to emulate front and back, the only problem it seems to have is with left and right - all of the sound goes to the left.I have a pair of Speedlink Medusa headphones, and they are connnected to the card through the amp. My speakers are then connected to the 'front' out port on the back. This has always worked fine for me in the past, and I can't see a reason why it won't now. As the creative forums seem only marginally helpful, I would like any help you guys could give me. Thanks

physics_geek
03-04-2006, 02:58 AM
Try testing with other headphones or speakers. If it remained the same, RMA the card.

Kizz
03-04-2006, 04:52 AM
I have - I tested it with my speakers and two sets of headphones, both with and without the amp. RMAing isn't really an option I want to take, but unless I find a solution soon it might be a necessity. I'll have to see what kind of a response I get from creative (if any). I'll have another tweak sometime and see if I can change anything.

kiwi
03-04-2006, 05:13 AM
What drivers? Only from CD? Tried from creative site update/drivers?

You can also try these drivers just to see if it works but I am not sure if they support new X-Fi

http://kxproject.lugosoft.com/

Kasparz
03-04-2006, 10:32 AM
IMO x-fi+nf4 bugs

5days
03-04-2006, 10:37 AM
IMO x-fi+nf4 bugs
WTF?

My and plenty of my friends X-fi's have had no problems at all...

By the way, is your Xtreme Music the one with the heatsink and Hynix RAM or is the non-heatsink and Samsung RAM one?

physics_geek
03-05-2006, 12:23 AM
IMO x-fi+nf4 bugs
It gives you hissing noises.

Kizz
03-05-2006, 10:34 AM
It's the (new) model with the heatsink, I haven't tried updating the drivers as of yet, so I'll give that a go when I have the time. Also might give it a test in my old rig - if not it's getting RMAed. I never realised how problematic these things were - after visiting the creative forums I have a very different impression of the X-Fi.

sluflyer06
03-05-2006, 11:10 AM
support forums are very misleading about a products Quality as your ONLY seeing peoples problems not the happy people who didn't need the forum assistance so keep that in mind.

SamHughe
03-05-2006, 11:27 AM
I had all sorts of problems with x-fi+nf4 combo during fresh windows installation but, it works fine now. I found out that the driver update sequence should go something like this: x-fi drivers, asus ai booster, nvidia chipset, graphic drivers.

Kizz
03-06-2006, 02:51 PM
support forums are very misleading about a products Quality as your ONLY seeing peoples problems not the happy people who didn't need the forum assistance so keep that in mind.

I know, but the fact that it took my post less than a day to reach the third page indicates there's a lot of complaints, even considering the amount of cards sold.

I'll have to try doing all the driver updates over the weekend, I doubt I'm going to have the time to do it this week around working. Thanks for the help.

Daveb2012
03-07-2006, 03:43 AM
i have x-fi + NF4 MB, and the popping/cracking noise is so annoying im about to upgrade MB which is the last thing people want to Upgrade. Their is absolutely no fix for this cracking popping that works all around for every one. I wish I could just update firmware or something.

Kizz
03-11-2006, 09:53 AM
It's aliive :D

This morning I set out to make the card work, and ensured that my pc was free from X-Fi drivers etc, upgraded the chipset drivers then used the latest X-Fi drivers from the site (thankfully has none of the extra junk that comes on the CD). Result - a working card.

As for my impressions - not much change speakerwise (can't really expect much with a 2.1 set), except more noticeable bass presence etc. The major difference is when using headphones - playing CS I can tell immediately where the opposition is based on what I can hear - echoes have improved also, and generally the immersion is much better. Music is also better with headphones, again with more bass than before and noticeable surround sound.

Thumbs up for X-Fi - but they need to send a better manual. A single glossy doesn't really cut it with a £90 product. The fact that 80% of the apps that tried to install from the disk weren't really needed was kinda annoying too.

Thanks for the help guys :p: