PDA

View Full Version : best way to hold vmods in place?

afireinside
03-03-2006, 05:55 PM
I suck at soldering. I can solder the wires on and they stay but if I move them around to much they fall off. I have a kind of loop on my 7800 wires I want to push down flat but the solder would fall off. Also if I were to ship these they would probably fall off :( Other than hot glue is there a good method of gluing everything in place 100%?

wowza
03-03-2006, 06:01 PM
I suck at soldering. I can solder the wires on and they stay but if I move them around to much they fall off. I have a kind of loop on my 7800 wires I want to push down flat but the solder would fall off. Also if I were to ship these they would probably fall off :( Other than hot glue is there a good method of gluing everything in place 100%?
Uh, I used eletrical tape when I shipped my Abit IC7-Max3 board.. seemed to work fine for me.. Do you have a pic?

CrimeDog
03-03-2006, 06:02 PM
loctite brand super glue gel (lowes)
liquid electrical tape (messy)

if your joints are that weak you should work on your soldering

oicurafox2000
03-03-2006, 06:10 PM
Hot Glue

afireinside
03-03-2006, 06:36 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v448/zero-IGN/IMG_0349.jpg

cronic
03-03-2006, 06:45 PM
i used double sided tape. stick the wire to the tape to hold it in place while soldering, and then put a couple of drops of super glus on top to make sure they don't move. worked great for me.

runmc
03-03-2006, 06:48 PM
Your gonna probably wind up knocking that off anyway. I would redo it and lay it down and have it approximately where you want it and then solder it. I use hot glue.

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=44274&stc=1&d=1141440460

Ubermann
03-04-2006, 02:58 AM
I use hot glue also, comes of easy in case i want to.

charlesbronsen
03-04-2006, 09:54 AM
i go crazy with the hot glue:)

Vapor
03-04-2006, 10:09 AM
I use liquid electrical tape....find it largely unnecessary though.

EDIT: when I say liquid electrical tape, I mean at the solder point and I also fasten the wire down about an inch away so that any and all wiggling does nothing to the contact point.

Sam666
03-04-2006, 02:14 PM
Hot glue gun is most common and best imo

Aphex_Tom_9
03-04-2006, 02:18 PM
i did a vcore mod on my old NF3 board with hot glue and clips only, no solder at all, and it worked perfectly :)

SoddemFX
03-04-2006, 03:21 PM
I your soldering isn't as bad as you say. I think your problem with the wires coming off is due to the easy bending of your long wires.

For example if the wire in the picture is to a potentiometer then ground it would be better to use the ground of the IC next to the point you're soldering to.

Tom

CrimeDog
03-04-2006, 06:54 PM
Hot glue gun is most common and best imo

hot glue is disgusting, ugly, breaks off easily. i recommend everyone to the gel superglue, it works just like superglue (clean and strong) but peels off.

nn_step
03-04-2006, 07:24 PM
Double sided tape pwns

Sam666
03-05-2006, 03:38 AM
hot glue is disgusting, ugly, breaks off easily. i recommend everyone to the gel superglue, it works just like superglue (clean and strong) but peels off.Only if your entering your mobo or graphics card (what ever component lol) in a modelling competition. Yes it does brake if you beat it with a hammer.

zac
03-14-2006, 01:21 PM
:confused:
Uh, I used eletrical tape when I shipped my Abit IC7-Max3 board.. seemed to work fine for me.. Do you have a pic?

Sorry but what is Vmods???

nn_step
03-14-2006, 01:26 PM
:confused:

Sorry but what is Vmods???
Volt modification.
Changing the electrical voltage/Current that a componet recieves.

Hell-Fire
03-14-2006, 08:18 PM
@ afire

Are you using solid or braided wire for your mods? That can be one of the problems with mods popping off due to tension in the wire on the joint once the wire is bent/curved to fasten the VR to the board.

You should apply paste flux to any component prior to adding solder to it. I also recommend adding solder to the onboard components and the wires seperately. Then just solder them together. This provides a very strong joint.

chefnr1
03-16-2006, 01:05 AM
yes and use of a solder tin line with flux inside, i use 0,5mm solder tin with flux, i allways solder the neked edge of the wire and the on the spot where i will solder the wire i set a dot of tin on it an after that it's easy to just hold the wire against the spot you want to solder an and put youre solderpen whit a tiny edge,on my i have a ege at 0.6mm and my solderpen is 25w thats not to hot but enough to melt the tin and it's like the wire and that you solder on is one thing together, dont fell of and you have to melt the tin to take of the mod.

WeStSiDePLaYa
03-17-2006, 10:13 PM
yes and use of a solder tin line with flux inside, i use 0,5mm solder tin with flux, i allways solder the neked edge of the wire and the on the spot where i will solder the wire i set a dot of tin on it an after that it's easy to just hold the wire against the spot you want to solder an and put youre solderpen whit a tiny edge,on my i have a ege at 0.6mm and my solderpen is 25w thats not to hot but enough to melt the tin and it's like the wire and that you solder on is one thing together, dont fell of and you have to melt the tin to take of the mod.

i also use that solder with flux inside. even though im not quite sure what flux is/does.

but here is how i do. also insulates the wires from other things in case of accidents. btw, isnt super glue conductive? so wouldnt that be a bad way of doing it, since if you drip some, its permanent.

http://xtremesystems.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=44875&stc=1&d=1142662360

chefnr1
03-18-2006, 01:25 AM
i dont think superglue is conductive, but on youre pic's it's look like you used hot glue, i allways seal my solder with bathroom silicon paste in case of no accident when im running with DI or LN2. and flux i a paste that cleans all surface that you shall solder so that the solder bites without it falls of ad so it's as clean as possible...

afireinside
03-18-2006, 11:40 AM
Are you sure super glue is conductive? I super glued over all the soldering on one of my GTs I'm selling just to make sure it doesn't move and fall off in shipping and the last thing I want to do is ship a dead card.

@ afire

Are you using solid or braided wire for your mods? That can be one of the problems with mods popping off due to tension in the wire on the joint once the wire is bent/curved to fasten the VR to the board.

You should apply paste flux to any component prior to adding solder to it. I also recommend adding solder to the onboard components and the wires seperately. Then just solder them together. This provides a very strong joint.

I'm using IDE cable wire. Catalyst.X used it on my 6800nu and did I great job so I decided to use it. Looks pretty solid to me...

I thought my solder was self fluxing but I'll pick some flux up before I mod again. Need a new soldering iron to. I have a really hard time tinning the wire, the solder always stays on the iron.

nn_step
03-18-2006, 02:09 PM
in the words of Loctite

he product will work on most materials exhibits good off-gassing characteristics in a vacuum and has an almost unlimited lifetime to the bond that is formed. However, the glue is not conductive and for those instances where greater conductivity is needed (but when less tenaceous binding is needed), we recommend the SPI double sided adhesive discs, sheets, or tapes

But personally would just use good old fashion Duct tape...

Thrilla
03-18-2006, 02:57 PM
Flux is used so solder sticks to things better, it's a mild acid which cleans the surface you're soldering, so when hot solder touches some flux on a copper wire, the solder will spread around like water. Pure solder usually form a big blob rather than an even coating.

If I'm not mistaken, rosin core "high-tech" solder is self fluxed, or most electronic solders.

nn_step
03-18-2006, 03:03 PM
Flux is used so solder sticks to things better, it's a mild acid which cleans the surface you're soldering, so when hot solder touches some flux on a copper wire, the solder will spread around like water. Pure solder usually form a big blob rather than an even coating.

If I'm not mistaken, rosin core "high-tech" solder is self fluxed, or most electronic solders.
Correct modern electrical solder has a resin core or resin impregnated...

WeStSiDePLaYa
03-18-2006, 03:45 PM

hmm. well thats the stuff i used, and have for all my solder, learn something every day.

afireinside
03-18-2006, 11:07 PM
yes I'm using rosin core solder

Thrilla
03-18-2006, 11:35 PM
Try using steel wool to sand the leads a little, give it a texture, then heat up the liquid solder a little longer.
I learned this in art metal:
heat up both pieces evenly, because solder sticks to whatever that's the hottest.

Gah if I didn't break my soldering iron for that heating thingy I'd take pics...

Btw idk if this will help, for jewllery we use silver solder with a white powder-liked flux, for non-lead soft solder we used a gel-liked amber flux, I use that amber flux for electronics sometimes, but now I used rosin core.

Nosfer@tu
04-14-2006, 03:00 PM
Try using steel wool to sand the leads a little, give it a texture, then heat up the liquid solder a little longer.
I learned this in art metal:
heat up both pieces evenly, because solder sticks to whatever that's the hottest.

Gah if I didn't break my soldering iron for that heating thingy I'd take pics...

Btw idk if this will help, for jewllery we use silver solder with a white powder-liked flux, for non-lead soft solder we used a gel-liked amber flux, I use that amber flux for electronics sometimes, but now I used rosin core.

Dont use steel wool on your soldering leads. Then you will remove the protective cover that is on it and that will give you problems when trying to geet the solder to stick, that is what I was told.

I know that if you need your soldering good and strong you need to heat it up alot.

That is just not posible on a grafic card :) And w e are not going to space so it dosent matter that much. But when you solder somwhere on you card, like you did on the 7800.
use som alcohole to cleane the soldering point, and then you can use a glass pen. It is just like a normal pen, but it has long strips of glass in it.

When doing that to the solder point there is more to stick to.
Just like when you paint :D

[cTx]Philosophy
04-14-2006, 03:14 PM
Id also like to try this, but my soldering skills ar3e about as good as my welding skills (which suck also) so Id just try the bios editors and if they dot work screw it..

sluggo
04-26-2006, 08:18 PM
I used to work at a repair facility for a large computer manufacturer. All of the folks used a hot melt called "beeswax". Just take the side of your soldering tip, press it against the end of the wax, and you have a dot of hot melt adhesive ready to place on a wire. Works great.

PS Flux allows solder to spread out because it lower's the solder's surface tension, not because of any cleaning action. You might be thinking of acid-core solder, which is used to solder materials with surface corrosion present.