PDA

View Full Version : System shuts down on boot

SunTzu69
03-03-2006, 05:13 AM
So I put everything together, it boots to the BIOS, I am happy as can be. I flash the bios to version 6/23 and change the settings such as voltage, etc. Then I run into a bit of trouble. If I try to boot into the autorun Windows install from my CD-ROM drive, my pc will reboot right after the "analyzing system settings..." message prior to the setup launching. Also, if I try to boot on my HD which has my old Win XP install on it, it then shuts down like 5 seconds after I see the logo. The rebooting or shutdowns occur at exactly the same point during the loading phase, every time.

Suprisingly, I can boot to a floppy drive or safe mode windows without any issues and even access the HD or CD-ROM. Here is some information on what I have tried:

- I ran memtest on my 3 different OCZ Dimms for hours, and everything turns out fine. I currently have the voltage set to 2.7v manually.

- I have my old Fortron 530W that I could try. I upgraded from this PSU as the 12v rail is not sufficient. What are the chances that my brand new Fortron 500W Blue Storm is causing my rig to reboot or shutdown? Why would it always shutdown the system when I try to load a Windows install CD, but never when I boot into safe mode if it was my PSU?

- I pulled out both the CD-ROM and floppy drives, and it still shuts down while I load windows on my Raptor. This is a previous install before hardware upgrades. I see the Windows logo and the progress bar going accross the screen for about 5-10 seconds, then I get the shutdown.

- Before I took the rig apart to replace the PSU, my rig was running fine. CPU was passing prime95, no problem. I am booting the mobile at 1.55v at the moment to try to resolve these issues.

Any thoughts at all are appreciated, I am working on the rig this weekend and would really like to try all of your ideas.

Thanks

IYP
03-03-2006, 05:19 AM
/?did you try everything stock

SunTzu69
03-03-2006, 06:17 AM
/?did you try everything stock

I have the speeds at stock, I haven't tried the voltages stock during the loading phases. I will give it a try.

Shower me with your thoughts guys, I am trying anything and everything this weekend. I really want to get this going...

:banana:

Fhqwhgads6680
03-03-2006, 06:36 AM
well, its either the cpu being unstable or the PSU... HAve you messed with ram timings..could be that too.... but usually if its ram or cpu it restarts versus shutting down....Shut downs usually are psu related from my experience.

Also, just curious but why would you change voltage settings if not ocing? Def. try loading optomized defaults and try again....if that doesn't work I'll try and help ya from there.

Good luck!

SunTzu69
03-03-2006, 06:42 AM
well, its either the cpu being unstable or the PSU... HAve you messed with ram timings..could be that too.... but usually if its ram or cpu it restarts versus shutting down....Shut downs usually are psu related from my experience.

Also, just curious but why would you change voltage settings if not ocing? Def. try loading optomized defaults and try again....if that doesn't work I'll try and help ya from there.

Good luck!

I am running at 1.5 volts or so on the cpu and 2.8 volts on the RAM. I figured this couldn't hurt, and the mobile cpu will try to autovolt to 0.9 volts or so on this board so I need to set voltage manually. I will try everything with optimized settings and get back to you.

Edit: Bare with me guys, I'll post by tomorrow at noon. I want to go bare essentials again so that we can troubleshoot this in a linear fashion. I will try all of your suggestions once everything is out of the case and on my desk. For now I have to troubleshoot the wife since she's about to shut me down.

SunTzu69
03-03-2006, 09:11 AM
Ok,

I have made some progress. After changing the cpu and video card, I wasn't getting anywhere. However, I cleared the bios and managed to boot with just one dimm of OCZ value-type ram (new). In order to get somewhere I had to manually increase the voltage to 2.7v.

Then, I pop in my OCZ 4200 EL 2.5-3-3-X ram, and it will not boot, I still get a shutdown during windows bootup. So I relax the timings to 3-4-4-10, bring the voltage to 2.8v, disable command per clock and it boots into windows and runs for a good while. I was so happy. :D

Finally, I insert my other dimm of 4200 EL, and I can't boot again. I up the voltage to 2.9v, then 3.0v (just to try quickly), and it loads windows. I turned the system off afterwards because I am not sure I want to run these dimms at that voltage. At 2.8v, those two dimms report no errors in memtest86.

Any ideas on what I should do? All of this ram is fairly new and has run well for months, and passes memtest86. Is it a matter of bios settings that my board doesn't like with this RAM?

SunTzu69
03-04-2006, 08:10 AM
I One of my EL 4200 Plat. gives me a tons of errors in memtest86 test #5 and will not boot into windows. This is all in slot 1 with very relaxed settings. The other two dimms shine, even when I give them tighter timmings or a bit of an OC.

I ran the tests a few times, and I am confident that the DIMM is bad. Thanks for your help, I think this is resolved.